Baja Telecaster vs 60's Baja Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by coloradojeff, May 4, 2019.

1. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

I'm pondering getting a Baja Tele or a 60's Baja Tele. I think I like the pickups better on the Baja, but kind of like the faded Sonic Blue of the 60's. I know there's differences in neck shapes as well.

Can you enlighten me as to your thoughts on the two?

Thanks!

2. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes, big differnece in the necks.

The 50s version has a big maple neck with maple fingerboard.

The 60s has a thinner "modern C' shaped neck with a rosewood/pao ferro board.

My thoughts are, I have three telecasters with 50s Baja necks and I sold my my 60s Baja.

3. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Why do you think the pickups in the Baja (50s) are better than the other, is it what you've heard or what you've read?

4. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

Now that I've re-read the specs on both guitars I'm still confused..:) I've got two G&L Asats that are outstanding and a Custom Shop '62 Thin Skin, so it's not an emergency...but shopping Tele, the Baja seems like a good guitar and a good value. Just looking for input from owners. Thanks

5. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

My 2 cents: The 60's Baja would be a lesser version of your CS 62 - (I'm assuming). If that's true I would not pursue a 60's Baja. I have a '50's Baja I bought 12 years ago and also a AVRI 62 Custom Tele - they are very different guitars both sonically and neck feel. The 50's Baja pickups are very good - but they are quite different then the '62 pickups - whole different sound. My overall preference is the 60's sound.

6. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

Thanks VWAmTele! That's the kind of info I was looking for. I just wish there was one of each I could try somewhere around here.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Jeff, if I recall correctly, from 2012 until the end of that model's run, the American Standard had the same pickups that came stock in the MIM 50s Baja. You may try to find one of those, and see what the sound of the pickups does for you. Of course to some degree the effect will be different because the MIM model has such a fat neck and a wholly different truss rod type - but it will offer some clues.

I agree that the '62 Thin Skin you already have makes shopping for a MIM 60s Baja a sort of duplicate effort.

Tim S likes this.
  8. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Meister

I have both and love both, so I am no help really, other to encourage getting both!

9. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I prefer 60s. Different pickups, so that is up to you, and after that it depends if you like a lacquered board and chunky neck

Magic wand time, I would have a fat neck, rosewood board, and the 60s pickups in fsb

As above, I got both and love both but the 60s is my fave

10. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, soft V neck with RW board. Perfect.

11. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Hey whatever works for you:) I don't care for V-profile necks at all. To me, it seems that they ergonomically work of you're a thumb hanger (as in thumb hanging over the neck), since the V-neck fits into the groove between your thumb and other fingers. But, as a classical-style player (thumb behind the neck), the protruding apex of a V-neck bends my thumb at an uncomfortable angle, hence the reason why a 50s Baja just didn't do it for me. The 60s Baja by comparison - I LOVE my 60s Baja. I find it's neck very comfortable.

F.Y.I. - the 60s Baja doesn't have a Modern C neck (I can't stand Modern C necks - I find them too thin for my taste). While the 60s Baja neck is not like a baseball bat, it is kind of a chunky 60s C profile, and is significantly thicker than a Modern C.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    RadioFM74 and Piggy Stu like this.
  12. boris bubbanov

Neither Baja model has what most guys would clearly identify as a V neck of any type.

The ash bodied 50s is sort of suggestive of one, frets 1-6 on some examples.

Man, I sure wish the Classic Player 60s Baja had a 10/56 neck but it isn't even remotely so.

13. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

It's more of a perception thing. For you, the 50s Baja neck is fine. I briefly had a 50s Baja on layaway for a few weeks, because unlike the 2014 60s Baja I got rid of, I knew it was free of nickel plated hardware (I have a severe allergy to nickle, that gives me major dermatitis). I tried out a new 50s Baja, and gritted my teeth, saying to myself "I'll get used to the neck." It was that at the time, get a '72 Thinline again (the first one went bye-bye because the pickups did nothing for me), or get one with a Modern C neck (nope, too thin for my tastes). But, I still wasn't that crazy about the 50s Baja's neck - sure, it's not a hard V profile, but it sure felt like a soft V profile neck, and it still felt a little uncomfortable in my hand (as a Classical Style player, I've had my thumb bent into more uncomfortable postions, than the 50s Baja neck put my thumb in, but it still wasn't the greatest comfort-wise).

Luckily for me, out of desperation (due to Fender not giving me an answer to save my life), I inquired on the TDPRI as to what hardware on the 60s Baja is nickel plated, and found out that surprisingly little is (only the tuners and the strap buttons - not where I rest my right hand when playing - yay!!!), so I decided to opt out of the 50s Baja, and bought another 60s Baja instead. I'm glad I did.

Like I've said, different things for different players. I like chunky necks, and have no problem with baseball bat sized necks (there's a good chance that if I'd had the money, I probably would have bought the Nocaster [which has one of the thickest necks ever put on a Tele] I tried out a few years ago), but it's not the end of the world for me, if a neck isn't 50s baseball bat spec for me. As long as the neck isn't too thin, neck profile is more important to me.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  14. boris bubbanov

If that nickel silver is getting to you, you've got to try the stainless.

There's some pros for some to stay with old material, but if I were in your shoes I'd switch this week.

Yes, the stainless has got nickel in it but it is IMO chemically tied up where it shouldn't bother you.

15. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I think both are great, but prefer the 60s for very much the same reasons as @EllenGtrGrl
    - I like the neck better. It’s definitely not a modern C. It’s a fatter 60s C (same profile as in Classic Series 60s), also significantly fatter than what you have on the old AVRI 62 Custom. The Baja 50 is a bit too much for me, and I have very large hands. This one is very comfy although my absolute favorite is somewhere in between (= my 2011 AVRI 52 and my AVRI 65 strat)
    - I like the pickups better. Pure Vintage 52 and 58, more “classic tele” than the Twisted Tele on the Baja 50s, and one of the best stock pickup combinations on a tele bar none IMHO.

I guess it also come down to what you already have, and what you’re looking for. If you’re in the market for a 50s tele, the 60s Baja would do you no good and the fight should rather be between the Baja, Classic 50s and maybe a used AVRI 52…

Piggy Stu likes this.
  16. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

No can do. At the same time that i was discovered that I have a severe allergy to nickel, it was also learned that I have a major allergy to chromium (which is a major component of stainless steel) - especially if it's hexavalent chromium. Since a lot of stainless steel (with the exception of door handles, eating utensils, dental tools, and surgical tools) has hexavalent chromium, I wear gloves when I handle the stuff (especially at work). I can't even take multi-vitamins with chromium in them (such as Centrum) because I get skin breakouts from the chromium.

The nickel and the chromium allergies made it a lot of fun to find electric guitar strings I could use - out of about 200 different electric guitar string product lines, I can only use Rotosound British Steels (which are made out of plain old steel), or Ernie Ball Cobalts (that are made out of Cobalt alloy). I use Ernie Ball Cobalts (which Ernie Ball confirmed to me via e-mail, are nickel and chromium free).

boris bubbanov likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.