Baja Telecaster. Different bridge. One piece body?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by keefrichards, Nov 4, 2014.

1. keefrichards

keefrichards TDPRI Member

I just purchased a Baja telecaster on ebay and it had a different bridge than what I've typically seen in shopping around. The seller showed me that sweetwater had the bridge pictured on the tele from the original purchase brand new. Anyone seen this before on any other Baja? Serial starts MX14 so I'm guessing its a 2014.

I also think its a one piece body which I have not seen before on a telecaster. I read up on one piece bodies and some people will say Fender uses a veneer but it doesn't appear so in this case. The grain pattern clearly continues into the routed cavities. It doesn't matter to me if its one piece or 23 pieces as long as it sounds good. But it sure looks like one piece...

Attached Files:

2. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I do not have an eye for these things but the bridge looks normal to me... not quite sure what you mean. Unfortunately, I do not have my Baja here in order to compare.
    Regarding the body, I think you were just lucky with the grain. As far as I know (heard it somewhere here at some point), no single body teles come from Mexico (something about machinery if I remember correctly).
    Regardless, great guitar! Enjoy!

3. Diamond White

Diamond White Tele-Meister

popcorn.jpg

4. keefrichards

All of the Baja's I've seen have the fender patent engraving parallel with the bridge pickup. This just says fender straight across the bridge plate.

5. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Oh I see! Well-spotted. Thanks!

6. harrisonfender

harrisonfender Tele-Meister

My mx12 serial Baja has the pat. Pend. Bridge that looks like this:

image-292607117.jpg

My baja is a three piece body, which could possibly get away with looking like a two piece. It looks to me as though yours is a one piece, either way it's a beautiful looking guitar!

7. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I suspect that is veneer on multi piece body. It sure looks like it around the top of that wiring cavity.
    I have a MIM Strat with similar sunburst and it is veneered.

8. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Looks like a veneer to me ... Nice looking Tele though.

9. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

first you must determine if its veneer or not, which
    is usually easy to spot from inside the routes.
    if its not veneer then you have to be able to see the end grains before you can say its 1 or 100 pieces.

your ends are opaque black-impossible to see.

the ends is where Fender hides the seams
    it can be very hard to find the seams,
    even though I know where the seam is on my 52RI
    I can not see it from the front even with a magnifying glass.

from the end it sticks out like a turd in a punchbowl , however

[​IMG]

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think the bridgeplate on this pretty Baja is a little twisted simply because the screws were machine tightened. Mr. Jack Wells is the TDPer who best understood this issue. You fix it by backing each of the four mount screws off maybe 6 quarter turns, realign the plate, and retighten the screws with the plate dead straight.

I know there's a few guys here who know based on specifications alone, all about this Baja. They know there's a least one seam, and possibly more. They know for sure it is never a veneer unless someone has put a nonoriginal, basically counterfeit body on it. And finally we know if it is a MIM, it is NEVER a one piece body.

11. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I agree the name stamp on the bridge looks odd. Body route looks correct but darn good matching if multi-piece. I concur 1-pc would be a first. I would remove the bridge entirely to see the pickup route and confirm it's the stock pickup. The bridge might be adjustable as BB describes, but it could be a bit misaligned beyond a loosen and retighten.

I've seen more variance on these recent Bajas than I would have expected, though I can say I never paid a lot of attention until I got the 60s model myself.

12. keefrichards

What makes you think its the bridge and not the control plate? I'm going to see if its square with the neck tomorrow and i may need some more feedback but I'm just curious how you would come to that conclusion from the pictures. I'm also curious about your statement about no veneers for Baja's. I don't see a seam anywhere on the front or the back so either there's a veneer or there's seams hidden by the black in the burst on the edges.

13. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Ohhh I miss Jack Wells!

14. still_fiddlin

Could be partly camera angle, but the bridge does not look centered within the pickguard cutout, and appears to be at a slight angle. Quick pic from my 60s (bridge is different, I think, at least with that partially polished bit in front of the pickup).

Attached Files:

15. keefrichards

Thanks fiddlin. I'm seeing the bridge that I have on highway 1 teles in my googling. Weird.

16. still_fiddlin

Sweetwater keeps those photos on their site for some time. The seller should be able to send you the link of the guitar photo on the Sweetwater site, which would include the guitar's serial number in the URL, just to confirm that picture is the guitar you have.

But, like I said, I've seen some variance (like the recent picture of a 60s 3TSB with 1-ply black pg at n-stuff). But, I'd want to check the pickup and make sure that hadn't been swapped out along with the bridge. Not having had a Baja PU in my hands, I can only go by some online pics, but looks like it should have a brass (colored, anyway) plate. (Another pic from my 60s attached.)

Attached Files:

17. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I have a 2014 Baja that was shipped for Fender in late August and it has the Pat Pend. Bridge plate.. I'd back off the screws as per Boris and line it up and call it a day. Wouldn't worry to much about the stamp.. It's not going to effect the tone.. There was a similar issue a while back with bridge plates for some of the AV line. Fender has a long standing practice of swapping parts as needed to meet production numbers. It's not at all unheard of.. Enjoy your new guitar and plat the snot out of it..

18. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Nice Baja Keef and welcome to the forum! I'm from out near the GC part of Hbg.

19. UncleJarmo

UncleJarmo Tele-Meister

I think there might be an extremely well matched seam just outside of the high E string ferrule.
    Also, if that stamp on the bridge being oriented wrong bothers you and you don't want to put on a Callaham or Glendale, an OEM Fender Tele bridge plate only costs about $12.

I agree about checking the bridge pickup to see if it's original. If it looks right, measures right, and the solder joints are look untouched it should be ok.

20. keefrichards

Well that's the thing that I'm wondering about now because I bought it on eBay and the seller had a Toneshaper installed but included the original wiring/switches. When I went to solder the original setup back in there were 3 wires coming from the bridge (black,white,green) but fenders Baja schematic only showed 2 (black,white). I just grounded the green to a pot and didn't think twice. I'm going to check it out later today.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.