Baja tele search !

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by archierichards, Mar 25, 2020.

1. archierichards

archierichards NEW MEMBER!

hey there, im on the hunt for a baja tele since they were discontinued. Im from Melbourne and simply havent found one anywhere and been looking for months. Does anyone know where i might find one at a decent price??

Fretting out likes this.
  2. Gtrmaestro

Gtrmaestro TDPRI Member

Vintura Tele's are nearly identical if you can't find one. Just a little more money and they lack the "Custom Shop Designed" backplate. Otherwise, same guitar.

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to TDPRI :)

4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Nah mate, they're discontinued.. the last stock I saw was from last year..

Go for Vinteras 50s and 60s as it succeeded that model line..

or if you can find one used, then its a better buy..

gwjensen likes this.
  5. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Fretting out likes this.
  6. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

To be precise, Vintera 50's Modified are the new Baja. There are a few small differences from the Baja, but the neck profile is the same.

RadioFM74, nicknklv and gwjensen like this.
  7. nicknklv

nicknklv TDPRI Member

To be even more precise, it's the one in Butterscotch Blonde, which is the direct successor for the Baja. The other two colors have alder bodies. I'm after one of these myself, haven't had a chance to try one out yet.

8. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Specifics, as I remember them.

Baja: blonde, black, 2 color burst. V50M: Blonde, daphne blue, surf green.
    Baja: ash bodies. V50M: ash on the blonde, alder on the daphne and surf colors.
    Baja: gloss poly neck finish. V50M: satin poly neck finish (this may feel better to some people)
    Baja: Custom shop designed Broadcaster bridge pickup. V50M: Custom shop designed "vintage style" (may be the same?)
    Baja: $799.99 retail. V50M: $999.99 retail.
    I think that is it for differences.​

Not much difference. I don't consider body wood when looking at guitars - other do. Ash, alder, whatever.

I think the Vintera 50's modified is just a slight update to the Baja, but basically the same.

@nicknklv - I'm not arguing or correcting you. I just don't think these changes are significant. They may be to others. I probably should have been more clear in my original post. For me, it was the neck that "made" the Baja. That same profile continues (or very close to it?)

dreamingtele and nicknklv like this.
  9. takauya

takauya TDPRI Member

I believe the earlier Baja used a 4 piece body and most were too heavy. Those were finished in opaque colors. I don't know anything about the Vintera model but my 2014 Baja is a 2 piece body and a normal weight, 7.4lbs. I can clearly see wood grains all over the body.

Oh, and the S-1 switch is a piece of ****. lol You never need it and I personally don't like the 4 way switch as well. Just replaced mine with a standard 3 way and pots. I also replaced pups but that's just a matter of taste. I really really want to have another Baja (or Vintera) for modding with a Humbucker neck. It's so hard to find in Japan at a descent used price. Even new MIM guitars are hard to find though there are tons of MIJ Fenders apparently. Too bad none of them have a fat neck like Baja!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  10. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Sweetwater and others still have new Baja's in stock. What's shipping ? I sent a amp south and it was $150 same price as the amp. A guitar would be lighter, but have non standard dimensions.

11. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I had one of the earlier Bajas. Its unbelievably heavy!!! 4 pc. But it was nice and good. Love the tones.

i love Japanese fenders!!

12. barfly69

barfly69 TDPRI Member

Go for a Vintera 50s Modified, it’s the same guitar. I tried one and was all set to buy it until a second hand 2018 Baja came up at the last minute.

13. Fuggle

Fuggle TDPRI Member

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it's much cooler to say you have a "Baja" than a "Vintera '50s Modified". Rolls off the tongue better!

At the end of their run, new Bajas were retailing for $824.99. Butterscotch Blonde Vinteras are $1049.99. That's a $225 increase for essentially an updated name and a satin neck. Go for a used Baja.

14. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I didn't know they were discontinued, i bought mine mint second hand when Fender put it on the market many years ago for 400 Euro, now i see that they go for 650-700, what a surprise.
    Anyway i can confirm you that it's a fantastic guitar, keep on looking and get one if you can....

15. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sweetwater 50's Vintera demo $944.99

Not sure how they work international shipping.

With the recent conditions were in now. I'd think they'd be willing to work with you.

16. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

If I had to replace my 2006, I would still look for one of the earlier models. Mine is right at 7 pounds and is one of the nicest Teles that I've played over the last 60+ years.

17. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Did Fender do 2 different types of Baja ?

18. archierichards

archierichards NEW MEMBER!

would you reccomend 50s modified or 60s modified vintera teles ??

19. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Meister

I would like a Classic Player Baja Telecaster in butterscotch blonde, but I don't want to pay the prices I see. They went up a bit after being discontinued. They show up on reverb regularly, but they do not last long.

nicknklv likes this.
  20. barfly69

barfly69 TDPRI Member

Yes, a Classic Player 50s and later a Classic Player 60s was added. The 50s version is the one people are usually referring to when the talk about “the Baja”.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.