Baja Tele Pickups! Maybe Change Them?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Noiseless Ed, May 3, 2016.

1. Noiseless Ed

Noiseless Ed TDPRI Member

Hello fellow tdpri users!

I really need your help!

I recently bought myself new Baja Tele. Guitar is outstanding but I find myself thinking a lot about changing stock pickups. Twisted Tele neck sounds pretty cool but straty (why do I need Tele that sounds like a strat?). Broadcaster sounds a bit trebly and harsh (maybe i should lower it). I've been looking to cs nocaster set, cs blackguard set and SD Antiquity line. Before baja i had mim standard tele with nocaster set and that guitar sounded awesome but i sold it to get Baja. In the past I ended up modding all of my guitars (strats, teles, les paul). I think I'm just used to modding guitars but maybe this isn't the case? I know there are a lot of love for Baja pickups. I just feel weird leaving it stock. Am I imagining things or is there better options out there. I'm confused. This will be my only Tele for a while, so i want it to be perfect Tele. Also i heard that twisted tele and broadcaster in baja are different from custom shop twisted Tele and broadcaster. Is that true? I guess i could live with TT neck and experiment with pickup height on broadcaster because I don't want to spend extra 150/200 dollars on new set but if there really is better options I'm willing to upgrade. Should i leave it stock or go for "upgrade"? I'm confused...

I'll be very happy and thankful for your help.

2. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

Isn't the Baja set pretty close (or identical) to the nocaster set?

3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I have both sets.

- CS '51 Nocaster set on a Roadworn 50s
    - a 50s Ash Baja LPB FSR based partscaster with a replacement rosewood neck with the original Broadcaster and Twisted Tele combo but a 3 way switch not the S1

Both fine sets and I'm keeping them.

The bridge pickups are fairly similar I think, the neck pickups are really not.

The Broadcaster and Twisted Tele set are both quite bright IMO, the Twisted Tele neck in particular which is very stratty indeed to these ears. I love this set. I do tend to back off the guitar tone about a quarter particularly on the neck pup. it hits the sweet spot ofr me there beig still stratty but a lot warmer.

the Nocaster neck pup is quieter than the bridge pup and has an open warmer transparent sound. The bridge is superb and has quite a high output. I keep the tone pot open on both of these.

Not sure if that helps much. Some dig the stratty neck some don't. I'm sure you've tried rolling the tone back some but if not, then you find find that is sufficient to warm up.

Noiseless Ed likes this.
  4. Raimonds

Raimonds Tele-Meister

I have tele with Baja pickups set and I cant call bridge harsh (I hate ear piercing harsh sounding pickups), it is quite mellow, maybe you can try to lower it a bit?
    From what I know, Baja pickups are the same as used in the American standard tele, the wires are different, though. Anyway, if you'll decide to dump them, I might take them from you :)

Noiseless Ed likes this.
  5. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Replaced a broken Baja bridge pickup with a Cavalier NoCaster with A3 magnets. Best sounding Tele bridge pickup I've ever had. Rob is the best to work with too.

Noiseless Ed likes this.
  6. Noiseless Ed

Thanks for input guys. I guess the smart thing is to leave the Baja as it is. It's just weird to own a guitar that is that good stock. Only one Tele isn't enough but my next purchase will be classic series strat. Though I'm interested in SD Antiquity pickups. One can't have too many guitars.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I usually start off any mod series with a guitar I'm not bonding not by swapping pickups but with changing the tone cap (0.033uF is my typical), then the volume pot (500k for brighter, 250k for darker). Use a meter to verify what the volume pot is actually at because their factory spec is wide enough that two guitars can sound different just because of the volume pots are at high and low limits of their allowed tolerance.

Noiseless Ed likes this.
  8. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I prefer the klein 52 set (with nickel silver neck cover), but I guess the stock pickups are just fine.

Noiseless Ed likes this.
  9. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Holic

The Baja pickup combo is the only set I can think of that I just got lost in playing no matter what position the switch.

Noiseless Ed likes this.
  10. Noiseless Ed

That means you like them right?

11. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Holic

Absolutely. This is coming from someone who gets anxiety at the thought of leaving a guitar stock. The Baja is just that great all around.

Noiseless Ed likes this.
  12. Raimonds

Raimonds Tele-Meister

Nay, you dont need strat, play your Baja for a month and you wont need any other guitar. I have two strats and tele, strats are played maybe 3-5% of time only :)

Noiseless Ed likes this.
  13. Noiseless Ed

Thanks guys, you all convinced me to leave Baja stock. BTW Yesterday i did a recording session with Baja using TT neck only for some solo parts and then Broadcaster only for different solo parts and it sounded awesome.

14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

V glad to hear you're keeping it stock. That explains what I see so few of these pups on flea bay... and I have looked!

Sorry all die hard Tele freaks, I also highly recommend having a Strat too. Very versatile and great to switch to occasionally as the material suggests it. Nothing like that Strat 5, 4 and 2 position for some things.

But for me, if you're on the bridge pup mostly, the Tele or T-type is indeed king of the Fenders.

Noiseless Ed likes this.
  15. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Another easy and inexpensive way to change things up is to play around with the pickup heights. Can make a big difference in how harsh or sweet the pickup sounds and if you don't like it you can easily put it back. I usually use a screwdriver that has some markings on one side and do half or quarter turn increments. That way I can adjust evenly and I know how much to go back if I don't like something. Enjoy your Baja. I think the fifties model is the best production tele out right now. At least that I can afford.

Noiseless Ed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.