1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Baja Tele changes in years

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DanielKogen, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon Tele-Meister

The only thing I’ve really noticed was the necks can vary. On the 50s Baja anyway. I’ve played a few that had a very noticeable V shape. But the one I own and a couple other ones I’ve played don’t as much. More of a real fat C or something like that.

2. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

If you can find one, the 2006 -2010 (in Desert Sand and Blonde finishes )versions were very consistent. From mid-2010 when the color changes (2tsb, Black, and Blonde in USA, and Lake Placid blue in the UK)were described to be the same as those earlier models. But others say differently. I don't know.

My 2007 weighs 8.8 Lbs =8 Lbs 13 oz, but heavy isn't a distraction for me. The sound is key from the Broadcaster bridge and the Twisted Tele in the neck pickups. Look for the 4-bolt plate that indicates Custom Shop designed pickups in it, and the lack of any history of a pickup change.

I joined TDPRI because of the Baja guitar I owned, because I enjoyed playing, hearing and feeling the vibe I got. I joined to trumpet how great the guitar was, and if others had these. There was a lot of CHATTER about the Baja in 2009. I played this guitar for 7 years straight, and it's my #1 moneymaker at the numerous gigs I had. I ignored the other 7 or so guitars I had at the time. That's it in the avatar; I even bought a proper case for it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    hemingway likes this.
  3. Fuggle

Fuggle Tele-Meister

For some reason, it makes me happy to hear someone has a heavier Baja than me! Mine is 8.6 lbs and is maybe a pound more than ideal, but it's not a deal breaker. Such cool guitars.

4. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

Yes! That fat C like neck is the Baja neck we love, not the typical soft V ones like my 2nd Baja. I'd really like to know if they changed the neck spec intentionally at some point or was just random thing.

Also, check the nut width carefully. There are variations, and it makes huge difference about how you feel.
    My 2nd Baja neck was 1mm narrower throughout nut to butt than my 1st one, and both guitars had no gaps at the pocket, which meant the the 1st Baja neck didn't fit into the 2nd Baja Body at all. They must have used CNC for the pocket, right? Strange.
    BTW, the 1st Baja was made in 2014 and the 2nd was 2018.

5. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

My BSB 2007 is 7.5 lbs. I tried but I just don't get on with the soft-v neck. It doesn't get played since I bought my AVRI '62 in 2012. In fact, almost none of my guitars get played other than the AVRI. It's first on my list to go sometime later this year.

6. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

7. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

I was going to post a new thread for this, but remembered about this one and I guess it fits here.

I had a Baja not long after they first came out but never gelled with it and sold it to a friend...anyway last year I got a hankering for another, found one cheap, but again this one wasn't for me. Not long after i had it the prices on them exploded over here (UK) so I sold it on for a healthy profit.

A couple of months ago I bought another one in Desert Sand, again cheap. This one I liked, it had been converted to a 'normal' tele with 3 way switch etc, but I've put it back to 4 way (although left out the S1 as I never really use those 2 extra sounds)...As i say, nice guitar.

Very recently I picked up one of the new Epiphone 'Inspired by Gibson' 50s Les Pauls. I've tried many times to get on with full fat Les Pauls and always failed (although I have a LP Special I adore), so have been trying to move this one for a few weeks.
    Someone fairly local offered me a straight swap for a BSB Baja last night, which I took him up on today. I think I've learnt my lesson on the Les Paul front, for now at least.
    It's all standard and in good condition bar one small ding.

So, now I have two Bajas :)
    The thing that strikes me is just how different they are, in feel as well as sound. The older Desert Sand one (2010) has a rounder neck profile, and the edges of the fretboard are nicely rolled.
    The newer one (2018) has a much more pronounced V in the neck (which i personally love) but the fretboard edges are barely rolled, if at all.
    They're both similar weights, the newer one is a tad lighter.
    In terms of sound though, they are completely different which I find especially interesting. The older one I bought a pre-wired 4 way harness to go in it. It's all CTS/Switchcraft etc.
    The new one is stock. The newer (stock) one sounds much more mellow, a lot less 'IcePick' as it were, it's a really noticeable difference, the older one still sounds great, but it's got those full on Tele highs.
    I'm pretty certain the pickups in both guitars are the original Twisted Tele/Broadcaster combo after having a look, and I appreciate the older one has a completely different harness in it, but the difference really is night and day.
    In a way it's good, as I've got 2 very different Teles despite them both being Baja's, but I was only planning on picking my favourite and selling the other on, as I'm up to 4 Teles now (I know....only getting started :lol:)
    It's frustrating though, as I much prefer the look of the Desert Sand one, but the new one definitely sounds better. I suppose I could switch the electrics over but it's guaranteed not to sound the same....
    I'm just going to end up keeping both of them aren't I ? ;)

I know there are a few people here with multiple Baja's, @boris bubbanov Do you notice much difference between them?

8. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a Baja 50s. The neck is great, workmanship excellent and the weight is 7.5 lbs. The Broadcaster/TT pickups are blah to me. I have tried adjusting heights but they never thrill me. They sound OK. These pickups get great reviews but i guess they are not my sound. I am thinking Tex-Mex or Cavaliers. I hate to sell it.

9. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

The exact same experience as mine. Mine were 2014 and 2017, and the latter (V neck with sharp edges) was sold. I wish I could have your 2010 neck though...

I can't agree more. They are very meh sounding, particularly the twisted tele neck.

kohoutec likes this.
  10. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

It's frustrating, as I like the more pronounced 'v', but also like the edges to be rolled a little!

11. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

Yeah, I love the rolled edges too. I think somewhere around mid-late 2010s, they stopped it. I've had 2 other MIM teles in that era, 2019 (Chris Shiflett) and 2015 (60s Baja), and both of them had very sharp edges. My CP Nitro Strat 2012 has rolled edges though it's done sloppy and lower frets areas remain sharp. And, AFAIK all the current MIM models have sharp edges as well.

12. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Chunky? Where do you get that? I've got a 2014 60's Baja neck on a partscaster and it's the skinniest neck out of all my guitars. It's slimmer than my American Standard neck. At the 12th fret the 60's Baja neck has a depth of only 0.88".

In fact, I bought the 60's Baja neck thinking it would be chunky like the 50's model and I was really surprised when it came. The two necks are COMPLETELY different. It's not just one is maple and the other is rosewood. I would caution anyone who doesn't like a skinny neck to steer away from the 60's Baja.

posttoastie likes this.
  13. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

My BSB 50s Baja is a 2011 that I bought new in 2012. I can't believe I've had it nearly 10 years.

I joined this forum to find out more about it after I bought it. It is such a great guitar that I don't feel the need to own another SS tele - although I have a few variants.

Ten years old, and every time I pick it up it feels like a new guitar to me.

It's on the heavy side, but I don't mind. I love the big neck - but I like skinny necks, too.

I have tried various saddles on it before going back to the originals, and the only things I have changed is that it's now a whiteguard with a white switch tip, and I've sanded the shine off the back of the neck.

14. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

I didn't measure it (now sold), but mine was a typical 60s flatter C neck.
    It wasn't a bad guitar, but nothing stood out. Probably I'm just not an Alder tele guy... I didn't like the bridge pup, the '58 PV, but neck pup, '52 PV was great, and I bought an OV set for my 50s Baja. Love it.

15. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.