1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Baja Pickups Identification - help please

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Teleman84, Feb 27, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Teleman84

Teleman84 TDPRI Member

Hey Everyone,

Long time visitor but this is my first post. I got a used Baja tele after reading such awesome reviews here but it’s been modded to a 3 way switch, the S-1 has been removed, and the tone knob is a push pull that does what the 4th position used to do. The body and neck I’m convinced are real Baja 50’s tele and I can get along fine with that wiring set up but I want to know if there’s a way I can identify if the pickups are truly the twisted tele / broadcaster set that comes stock. Color of the wires looks right from what I found online but not sure if that is really definitive. It sounds good but I’d love to know 100%. Maybe a part number printed on the base plate or something? Thanks for your help.

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

There's three wres on the neck pickup. White and Green and maybe black?

3. Teleman84

Teleman84 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply. I got yellow, green, and black wires coming off the neck pickup. Those colors match up from what I’ve seen online. Is that color scheme and number of wires specific to the stock twisted tele in the Baja?

4. Teleman84

Teleman84 TDPRI Member

I’ll also say that the obvious stuff you can tell just by looking at the guitar looks right (flat pole pieces on the bridge pickup).

5. Dacious

Yep I was going on memory but that sounds right. The bridge pickup should measure up around 7.5-8.0 Kohn DCr.

6. Teleman84

Teleman84 TDPRI Member

Oh ya know what, I think I had my proof all along. Correct me if I’m wrong but the neck pickup would only have two wires unless it was made for a 4 way switch (stock Baja) in which case it would have 3 wires like mine does. I’d still be interested if there was a way to easily verify the bridge pickup without measuring voltage. Was hoping I’d get lucky with a sort of “look here for a part or serial number” kind of thing.

7. Dacious

I am going ten years ago in memory but my Nocaster Thinline had those pickups and there's no part number. Just black/white pusback wire. Sounds like you have the right neck pickup so I'd say you're good.

8. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

The broadcaster bridge used on Baja is much hotter. Two of mine were a little above 9 ohm. They say it's essentially a flat pole version of the Texas Special.

9. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

BTW, the OV pups are much much better than the stock Twisted/Broadcaster combo, IMO, YMMV. There are people who love the twisted tele, but to me it's the worst sounding tele neck pup.

10. Teleman84

Teleman84 TDPRI Member

That is one way to go, turning a Baja into a version of a 52 avri (well more like an AO 50’s I guess). I’m good with the current tones I’m getting from it but maybe I’d love the OV pickups. Never tried them. OV bridge I’m guessing is less hot and punchy than the broadcaster bridge? Neck same way?

11. Teleman84

Teleman84 TDPRI Member

hot might not even be the right word because it’s not like a humbucker. The Baja can twang and clean up nicely and definitely can do rock and blues. Maybe better to describe it as just really present sounding.

12. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

Yes, that's it. Though there are Baja police who disagree with any modifications on Baja Teles, so you have to be really careful. lol
    The OV bridge is more vintage sounding than the broadcaster, which to me is a bit too hot and muddy.
    The OV neck is really really great. It's also vintage voiced, but not too dark like vintage brass covered neck pup nor too bright like the twisted tele, just right.
    One thing I should mention is that you might feel it a bit too loose if you like alnico 5 pups. I like this looseness of alnico 3 (OV set is) a lot.

13. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

Images of the Baja Twisted Tele and Vintage bridge pickups. IT'S NOT A BROADCASTER!!

Fender_Twisted_Tele_neck_'Baja'__01x.jpg

Fender_Twisted_Tele_neck_'Baja'_bttm.jpg
    Fender_Baja_Tele_bridge.jpg

Fender_Baja_Bridge_bttm.jpg Fender_Baja_Bridge_top.jpg

14. Teleman84

Teleman84 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the pics. I want to say there have been a few previous threads on this forum where people have posted pics of service diagrams, specs, part lists etc and went into detail on that aspect. My takeaway was that if they aren’t the same item, they are made to sound similar despite any difference in production method. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has played or ideally owed both a broadcaster and a Baja and can give us their take on the difference in sound of both bridge pickups if there’s much of any.

15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

What forum has Baja Police? I haven't seen them patrolling the roads here and we discuss the Baja 50s continually.

It's cool that you dig yours. You need another, BTW :D, and maybe you can score a neck you like for that extra body you've got.

16. Teleman84

Teleman84 TDPRI Member

weird replying to my own post but I found an old thread here addressing the comparison I just suggested and the consensus was that the two guitars are very similar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.