1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Baja owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by degsycaster, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Seewayne welcome man! Great taste btw. Id be interested in a direct comparison between your pals 64 and your Baja...AFTER you post pics btw.:D

2. benjammin420

benjammin420 TDPRI Member

Hey guys, I'm currently trying out a Baja, and I really like it, though I'm not 100% on the pickups. Does anyone know if the pickup routes are deep enough for stacked pickups? I have a Classic Player 60 strat that needed to be modified for Hot Noiseless (stacked) pickups (just the neck actually, the middle and bridge positions were fine) so I'm thinking it might be the same case here

3. Stylemaster

Stylemaster Tele-Afflicted

Just curious - which stacked pickups?

4. benjammin420

Right now the Duncan BG-1400 Lead Stack and the STK-T2b Hot Lead Stack, but it's still pretty much in the air (I guess the different pickups might need different amounts of clearance too...)

5. Stylemaster

Stylemaster Tele-Afflicted

I've been really curious about the BG-1400 for some time but can't find enough info or clips to know what it sounds like, especially out of a clean amp. I'm always on the lookout for a bridge pup that is loud, with fat bottom, enough mids to rock 'n' roll and still retains enough of that top end trademark Tele twang. I am also always interested in noiseless. I got rid of the DiMarzio Area Hot T bridge and Area neck because they just didn't sound right - neither fish nor fowl kinda thing. They had somewhat of a cold, sterile sound. I still have the older model Virtual Vintage Hot T bridge - I remember thinking it sounded more "natural" and slightly more like a real single coil that the Area Hot T. That's going in my Baja-necked-MIM-natural-ash-body-with-HB-rout part-o-caster with a Duncan SM-1n mini-hum neck pup which is in the '52 Hot Rod Tele.

6. benjammin420

Good to know, I was considering those too. I love the Hot Noiseless strat pickups, it's a shame Fender doesn't make a Tele version

7. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Sorry I cant help more but the twisted tele pups are a bit larger then normal tele neck pups, so theres a bit more clearance. I dont know if that would help you though, depends on the size of your stacked pup.

8. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Ive been cranking my Baja all week and I gotta say Im stoked that it gets such fat tones on the neck pup, in fact its pretty close to my 54 silvertone hollowbody.

Interestingly enough, they are nearly total opposites construction wise Solid vs hollow, bolt on vs glued etc. Even the series position is pretty meaty. Love this guitar, heres the pair Ive been playing all week...
    [​IMG]

9. benjammin420

thanks for the tip. The other day I installed a bumblee cap in it, and now I'm enjoying the stock pickup alot more. I might just shield it to try to bring the noise down a little. Theyre arent even that bad, really, not as bad as the P90s I had in my SG. But being the only guitar I own that doesnt have humbucking/noiseless pickups, makes it a bit annoying

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  10. lauke

lauke Tele-Meister

Davo, that is one sweet pair of guitars you got there!

11. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Yeah I find I like the stock pups quite a bit, they actually dont hum as much as one would think being true singlecoils and not rwrp.

I may shield mine but more for recording vs performing.

12. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Thanks!

13. Daywalker

Daywalker TDPRI Member

Every time I'd do a search for anything guitar related on the web, a thread from the tdpri would come up. I've been on and off this site for ages pulling information and insight, but as a Strat player haven't been worthy of joining. Until now that is......
    I negotiated a sweet trade for my new Baja Tele in Blond for a Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany that was just sitting in my closet. She wasn't getting the attention that she deserved and I'd been gasing for a Tele for the longest.
    Come to find out that the deal I worked over Craigslist ended up being with a member of this Forum. I now own Clump's 2010 Baja Tele. UPDATE the roster!!

14. seewayne

seewayne TDPRI Member

Best I've ever felt about a new guitar! Got this one from a guy here in town and it's like brand new. I was worried about the poly - but it looks fine, the grain pattern doesn't show as much in these pics as it does irl. Deep honey color on this one that i love. The pickups, the neck, i'm into all of it. I haven't put it down since yesterday when i got it, except for a gig where i played piano last night, and maybe a tiny bit of sleeping. I'm 39, i've wanted a tele since i was probably 14. I've had lots of other guitars, but for some reason, never bit the tele bullet.
    The guy who had it before me put sperzel locking tuners on it. They seem really nice. I don't have a problem with the fender/pings, though. I've had em on other guitars and they've never let me down. I'm thinking of taking these off and putting those back on. I like the look of em. Then again, it ain't broke, etc. Thoughts?

In the bottom pic, btw, that's not a seam, that's the glare of my porch roof.
    under close inspection this actually looks like a single piece of wood. Could it be?

MX10074257

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Wow man is that an '11 model? Looks great, really honey colored (this is the first pic of one Ive seen). I found mine (an 06)to be a 3 piece. I discovered this after some time by looking from the end of the guitar (by the strap peg)

16. Daywalker

Daywalker TDPRI Member

17. seewayne

seewayne TDPRI Member

from what i understand about the serials on these, it's a '10, but i guess it could've been a late '10 and actually sold in 11. I don't have a scale in the house, but the weight seems to be a non issue. Heavy enough to feel solid, but light enough to where i haven't noticed it "feeling heavy". I have a gig with it next thursday, but i don't foresee weight being an issue.

18. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

I have found my Baja to be quite stable to tuning, and I love the vintage style tuners. Both the gear ratio and the split posts so theres no sharp ends snagging peoples shirts.

19. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Cool way to look at it, I do the same. If it sounds good and isnt a brick Im happy.

20. seewayne

seewayne TDPRI Member

Ah - yup. Looking hard at the end of the guitar under a good light, 3 pieces. Great job, Fender! great job matching the pieces and great finish!
    I'm loving how all these country licks sound so much more legit on this guitar than on the strat! I'd gotten so used to how bent strings affected the others with the floating bridge that I hadn't even considered how much better they might sound/feel without it. I play a lot of sorta steel licks/clarence white sorta things and the combo of that bridge p/u and the non floating bridge is knocking me out.
    The next tele might get a b-bender.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.