1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Baja owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by degsycaster, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

I asked Borris this just a week or so ago (he owns 7 Bajas I believe). He said basically there have been no changes to specs at any time that he knew of. I asked because I had read a post that stated the early Bajas had more of a fat C shape vs the V that the Baja is specd for. Another rumor at the time was that the pups were custom shop pups, placed into a MIM fender.

Do you have any photos of the new "deeper" butterscotch? I wonder if the neck is not as dark simply because our first year teles are have had time to age a bit, vs actually being stained darker.

BTW I put my Baja out in the sun (not hot out though) several times, maybe 10 hours a week for a few weeks. The neck darkened a bit, the body almost not at all though.

2. stevics

stevics Tele-Meister

Mid June I will be buying a BAJA. I have tried a couple and really liked, sounded so so good through my Classic 30.

I will be going to try a few in London so I can find a real good player.

I am also thinking of swapping the bridge plate for a Joe Barden or Callaham, to solve any intonation issues. Is intonation a problem? or am I overly worrying?

I have heard that with the Callaham I may loose a bit of "twang" being of a heavier gauge.

The Barden looks a better option to me.

Any other recommendations?

3. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

The bridge plate is not really where intonation is affected-thats more about the saddles. I can tell you with a professional setup the stock Bajas intonation is excellent-its quite musical and archetypal tele and you dont think "Intonations off" at any time-and Im a violinist (intonation freak).
    The compensated saddles out there are the best if you are a stickler though.

The stock bridge plate is ferrous and again classic tele and its certainly a quality piece. The aftermarkets are good too, but generally sound different as well. Maybe less "vintage tele".

Id put the money into a pro setup (including cleaning up the nut and maybe loc-tite on the output jack) vs new parts and just enjoy this tone machine!

4. rosskoko

rosskoko TDPRI Member

don't have any problems with my intonation. I gave mine a good setup when I got it as it was awful. bought off the net and nearly sent it back but looking around this site pointed me in the right direction. biggest problem was the pick up height, played havoc with anything but clean and yet again some great advice here sorted that.

5. lauke

lauke Tele-Meister

New Baja incoming in 3 days, my first tele. Can't wait! :D

6. Carvalho Diablo

Carvalho Diablo Tele-Meister

Hmmmm, nice !

7. benadrian

benadrian Tele-Meister

When I got my Baja, it came with a Callaham that my friend had installed.

[​IMG]

The guitar does seem slightly less twangy than some other teles, but I just chalked it up to the pickups. However, the feel of the bridge is very, very nice. It just feels so much better under-hand.

Cheers!

8. bigboyneverleft

bigboyneverleft TDPRI Member

Mooi!
    I dig mine, tried fuzzface today, new chapter begins.

9. williampaiva

williampaiva TDPRI Member

I'm joining the club today, maybe the only brazilian here, happy with my first tele; is a MX10xxxx Desert Sand; and I'm only planning to change the PG with a mint green one... but i'll wait a couple more weeks to do this....

10. lauke

lauke Tele-Meister

Fuzzface pedals are cool! My first ever DIY built pedal was a fuzz face with most of Beavis Audio's modifications and it sounds great. Quite versatile as well, for a fuzz box.

By the way, my new baja day has been belated, it'll be this Saturday now.

11. whiskychaser

whiskychaser TDPRI Member

I am in the process of joining this club. Just order my Blonde Baja Tele (thanks to the 15% off Memorial Day sale from GC). I have been eyeing this baby up for a long time. However, I am breaking rule #1 of guitar buying and buying it without playing it. Neither of the stores in my area have had one in stock for months. Not too worried. Will post pics when it is in.

12. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, no need to worry. I mean, sure you could get a lemon, but it isn't likely.These guitars are excellent, especially for the price and 15% off doesn't hurt, either.

13. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Im sure that the vast majority of Bajas have no issues, theres just a few noisy cats that we hear about because we are at tdpri.:D

The neck alone is totally worth it, I cant believe how much I have bonded with that fat neck over the last couple months. And it sounds even better.:cool:

Very quickly this is becoming my #1, and I cant help but wonder what other teles are out there.

If only they made a "Bakersfield" tele to complement the Baja. RW board with the same profile, alder body, and 60's tele pups.

pokett likes this.
  14. whiskychaser

I cannot wait. Almost called out sick today just so I could be there when the UPS guy delivers it today. Patience patience... I have a feeling its going to be a long day at work, but not as long of a night as i will be up all night playing.

15. slotted screw

slotted screw Tele-Meister

hi, i've read somewhere around here that some folks have taken off the s1 switching as it is a source of tone suck? to baja owners does this have any truth? i've read someone saying here that when he took off the s1 switching the tone suck disappeared?

16. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Lol . Got sth. to help you pass the time

17. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

again , for french girls rule !

18. benadrian

benadrian Tele-Meister

It the "off" position, the circuit is just like a normal tele. The only possible issue is that sending the signal into and out of the switch might affect the tonal quality, but I find that highly doubtful. It's no worse than using a true bypass pedal and running your signal through the 3PDT stomp switch.

When the switch is engaged, and the selector switch is in the both on (in parallel) position, there is a cap in series between the neck pickup and ground. This could cause what might be called tone suck. Really, though, it's just tone shaping.

All I know for sure is that the electronics in my stock Baja sound really, really great, and I am very happy with the guitar.

Cheers!

pokett likes this.
  19. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Agreed, the does not sound bad, certainly no tone suck. Maybe in theory it could attract more humm, but I doubt it. Just wish the switch itself was a little more sturdy, Id also have put the switch on the tone pot, not the volume.

20. whiskychaser

So i am glad that I didn't call out. Got the guitar, everything was great, except when I turned the thing over I saw huge smears of green paint/stain on the guitar that was on the inside of the finish. I have pics and will upload them later if anyone is interested. I was so pissed, had to do a return at GC and reorder. Lesson learned. Never buy without trying.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.