1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Baja owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by degsycaster, Nov 12, 2008.

1. pedrozepelim

pedrozepelim TDPRI Member

It sounds harsh to me. (I can't find a better term)

2. Rocker Gramps

Rocker Gramps TDPRI Member

ONE week and I'll have delivery of my new Baja Blonde!!
    Can't wait!!!

3. TAFKAS

TAFKAS TDPRI Member

Humbucking baja????

Hello to all my Baja Brethren & Sisteren,

I have a question or two and I know this is the go to spot.

I love my Baja and I'm basically a Funk/Jazz/Soul kind of guy, big into Wes Montgomery and Albert Collins. I've been thinking about getting a humbucker. Is there anybody in here that's done that with a Baja? I really do like the twisted tele neck p/u and could leave it be, so I'm really just curious. I want that Tele Twang of course but maybe a bucker would really give it something special.
    Also, I'm in the market for an amp. I've been using my girlfriends bass amp a Fender Rumble 15 and I kind of dig how it sounds adjusted for my Baja. I'm looking into a Mustang II or a Frontman but I've heard some bad things about the Frontman. Looking for a fat, sound that is more into the bottom end of the Tele which I love.
    Many Thanks in Advance for helping a newbie out!
    Cheers.....

4. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hi bro , i thought of doing that to my baja as well , as i own an old Gibson mini-humbucker . Finally i found out that i love my twisted tele too much .
    Try out the Behringer Bugera V22 amp . It's a nice and cheap tube amp . A tele sounds best with a tube amp , i think .

5. TAFKAS

TAFKAS TDPRI Member

Thanks Omiewise, that's good stuff. I will look at the Behringer for sure. I think tube is the way to go, but the budget's tight so that will help for sure. I really like the twisted tele too and may never change it. Seems to bring out the tone of the wood which is great on a guitar of this price range. Nice little Rouge Jazz setup.
    Cheers...

6. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Its almost like the twisted tele is an idealized humbucker tone. Warm, but with excellent clarity.

pokett likes this.
  7. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Bugera Vintage 5. Sounds great, it has a built in attenuator, decent reverb, and the Baja sounds like it was made for this amp.
    [​IMG]

8. Imdok

Imdok TDPRI Member

It's a Sickness I Tell You

So, as some of you know I finally found my new "Blondie" in Portland on my way up the west coast back to Alaska.
    I searched all the Craiglists along the way. I found a potential Blondie sale in South Bay area craigslist, but it didn't pan out.
    So I bought the new one in Portland (thanks Jay). One of only two that I found in stores on the trip.
    "Special Order" seemed to be the phrase of the day whenever I asked any of the stores if they had one in stock. The Portland blond was the only one that I really liked, of the two.

I just can't do the internet guitar buying thing. Anyway, The Portland shop did a quick but decent setup for me at the store and I gigged with it right out of the shop (I have some new comped saddles on the way but it's great otherwise).

So to make a long story longer, I found a blondie on my local home area Craigslist and it was only ten miles away from me so I replied this morning and bought it this afternoon.

Ain't that about right? I look all over the place for one and then one shows up next door, basically in the middle of nowhere, the week after I buy a new one.
    No complaints though. I picked it up for $500.
    It came with an Access Stage 3 hard-shell case (nice unit), but no soft gig bag. Two very good quality guitar cords, and two new sets of strings. Elixar Nano 10s and DR Blues 10s, I believe. Plus he threw in a small Line 6 Spider 15 watt amp that looked new.
    I'm obviously selling the amp, for probably $50 to some kid, so my net costs will be even lower especially when considering the hard-shell case and chords and strings. all of which lowers my over all cost of the guitar to less than $400.
    The only thing wrong I could find with this guitar is the rubber four-way switch hat is missing.
    The guitar is in really good condition (not a scratch) and plays really well and it is extremely light weight like my new one (seven pounds or less) and sustains well. The seller bought it new and said it basically sat in the case for four years and got used sporadically this past winter.

Both my Bajas are supposedly blondes but they look like two completely different guitars. My new 2011 one really looks like a solid colored butterscotch with no streaking (or faint), but the 2006 (whcih has the 60th anniversary medallion on back of headstock) almost looks like it's sandstone colored when placed next to the new one, and the 2006 has heavy heavy streaking (greyish-green), but the streaking is symmetrical and evenly colored so looks great too, just vastly different.
    Both play fabulously, if a tiny bit different.

So I'm off to a "Baja Tele Anonymous" meeting so that I'll change from "One Baja at a time" to "One day at a time". I'm officially "back on the wagon". No more guitars.
    Though I do have to say...... "Score!!!!"

9. Imdok

Imdok TDPRI Member

Tortoise Shell Pickguard

I was thinking of picking up a tortoise shell PG from guitarfetish.com as I'm getting a couple of other things from them.

Is there a better place to buy one, looks wise (asthetically speaking)?

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  10. Stylemaster

Stylemaster Tele-Afflicted

Cool story. Congrats and let's see pics!

Also - the GFS tort guard looks cheap - only 3 layers with last one being black. The Warmoth ones are darker but really well made & cut with the typical 4 layers (t/w/b/w) and you order them with whatever custom configuration you want. I did not like the WD one I bought for various reasons.

11. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

12. JayRobIBZ

JayRobIBZ Tele-Meister

What??? How did that slip under my nose?:mad:

13. Imdok

Imdok TDPRI Member

JayROB

I just did a search out of curiosity and there was one that came up just after I left on my trip south. Contacted him to see if it had sold.
    He lived in Seward but comes to the valley every once in a while and just happened to be coming up the other day when I contacted him.......It was meant to be, and now she is mine.
    I'll be by to pick you up for the "Baja Anonymous Meeting" tomorrrow, or do we have to do the whole guitar GAS intervention thing first? (;>).

14. Imdok

Imdok TDPRI Member

Couple Questions

I have the Baja's first year model (2006) and the latest year model (2011).

My question is: Has there been any changes to the Baja model between those years, or could one literally swap out any part or piece and it would basically be the same (except maybe for the individual parts weight and other such non-technical things). So, any real parts changes between the two model years?

The reason I ask is because the neck color on the 2006 (a much more caramel colored aged look like my '57 RI Strat's neck) would look far better on the new 2011 Baja's deeper butterscotch look and the 2011 Baja's neck looks like it was made perfectly matched to the the older lighter streaked blond 2006's Baja body.
    I mean it's really crazy how perfectly matched up they are for each other, and just needing a swap.
    How bolt-on are these neck units? or is there shimming and such I'd have to consider?

I don't plan on selling them and could swap the necks back if ever necessary I suppose. Both necks play great with maybe just a slight edge to the newer one but the older one I just bought probably could use a little truss tweak and setup so I'd say it's push as to one being any better than the other.

Any thoughts or info?

Thanks for the tortoise PG reponses.

15. Imdok

Imdok TDPRI Member

Tortoise Shell Pickgaurd

I wonder where MartWest got his pickguard. I really like the looks of it.

Amsterdam?

16. Aaron G

Aaron G Tele-Meister

Hey Imdok

Other than color, can you tell any differences in the necks? I traded off an 08 (way heavy) and just got an 11. Maybe I'm not remembering right, but I thought the 08 neck was larger with less V than the new one.

Curious what you see.

17. martwest

martwest Tele-Meister

Imdok,
    The previous owner installed it. And I've planned on taking it off again, once I find a nice black one :lol:
    You can have it, but the holes don't line up with the original holes. I noticed that when I took it off to adjust the neck pup.

18. Progbusters

Progbusters Tele-Meister

I switched back to the original white pickguard for my desert sand. It makes the desert sand look more brown but overall the whole guitar looks lighter. I may change to a clear pickguard next.

Earlier I had a mirror metal pickguard.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  19. Imdok

Imdok TDPRI Member

Martin,

Thanks for the offer on the tortoise pickguard. Probably would cost me more to ship it to Alaska from Holland than the cost of a new one here in the States.
    If I were over visiting family and friends in the Netherlands, I'd stop by and take you up on your offer.

I'll try the guitarfetish.com tortoise shell PG, and if I find it unacceptable, I'll only be out the $13.00 cost for it, or might even get some money back selling it on craigslist or EBay.

I would still like to hear from anybody that knows if there have been any non-readily apparent changes (no matter how small) to the Baja since 2006.
    I'm intrigued about the neck swap-out between my two Bajas.

I'll be putting the tortoise shell PG on my "backup" Baja, if PG is acceptable.

Now, where can I find a new really good five hole black replacement PG, that actually fits properly, to replace the single ply one on my #1 ?

20. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've changed the origin pickguard on my Baja to an expensive Fender bakelite pickguard last year .
    It's slightly thicker than the cheapo plastic she came with .
    Now i want a new look and think of changing again to a 50s RI Fender white pickguard .
    Please take a look on another sweetheart the Gibson LP studio vintage mahogany i've bought 4 weeks ago .

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.