1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Baja owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by degsycaster, Nov 12, 2008.

1. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

I did it. I love the look.

Attached Files:

2. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

My bad heh. I want a tort guard, but I had trouble finding a 5 screw- maybe I will pick one up and swap it when Im feeling the tort!

3. jbmando

Mine's an 8 screw. No big deal. If I want to go back to the black guard, there'll be three covered up screw holes in the body. I figure, so what? You can't see them anyway.

4. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

That is a good point.

5. gatc

gatc Tele-Meister

keystones in a baja

Hi

Has anyone ever tried keystones (bill lawrence) pickups in a Baja?
    Can you describe the difference from the stock pickups and whether it is worth doing it?

I'm asking because I got a set of keystones a while ago but still haven't tried them.
    I can't really buy a new guitar right now so I was thinking of testing them in my baja.

6. jbmando

I can't think of a reason to try other pickups in my Baja. The Twisted Tele is the best neck pickup I've ever had in a Telecaster, and the Broadcaster in the bridge is phenomenal.

pokett likes this.
  7. cowie86

cowie86 Tele-Meister

While the broadcaster pickup is being mentioned - does anyone have any info on the Fender CS Broadcaster pickup in the bridge of these? I know it's gonna vary but I'd be REALLY interested in hearing what output people are getting on these pickups!

8. jbmando

Ok, I just did a real quick check at the output jack with a 12" patch cable and consistently got around 8.77KΩ. Might give you some idea.

9. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Yeah Ive read its around 9k. Do you know what the output of the neck is?

10. jbmando

5.78KΩ

11. benadrian

benadrian Tele-Meister

Don't forget, when you measure pickup resistance in that manner, you're still getting the volume pot in the circuit in parallel, and the tone pot is probably messing with the reading a bit as well.

TO get a true measure, you'll need to unsolder the hot from the switch and measure the hot to ground directly.

Cheers!

Ben

12. jbmando

Yeah, the volume pot is in the circuit, but turning the tone pot didn't change the reading at all. I knew that but I didn't feel like taking my guitar apart just to answer the question. I figured the guy could get enough of an idea by telling him I checked it that way.

13. benadrian

benadrian Tele-Meister

It's close enough for rock music, that's for sure :)

I sure do love my Baja!

pokett likes this.
  14. JPhnox72

JPhnox72 TDPRI Member

New to the club

New to the club...plan on keeping my 8.2lb baby stock for ever. Ahhh love the neck...it is brilliant. My 60's slim taper gibson feels useless now. Proud to be in this club. I tried 3 thin skins, a 52' reissue, american special, and the highway one. I liked the Baja overall, it's an absolute killer through my trace elliot velocette.

Attached Files:

15. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

JPHNOX welcome to the club! The blondes look and sound awesome and it will be quite a useful addition to that tonal arsenal you have there.

16. Imdok

Imdok TDPRI Member

Found my Blondie

Picked it up in Portland. It was the only one I could find north and east of LA.
    There was one at Haight Ashbury Music in S.F. but it had been hanging around for quite a while and the boss was gone so I couldn't get any sort of pro pricing and it looked very "used" from instore use and hadn't ever been set up, so I passed.
    Found nothing anywhere else until I contacted all the stores in Portland. Found it at Portland Music Company. The sales guy I got it from was decent guy but the rest of the outfit didn't impress me but they had the guitar and it hadn't been in the store but a week and hadn't been set up yet and showed no usuage. They had a sandstone one too that had been around for a month and had been played a lot but I wasn't interested in that color.
    Only thing I'm going to do to it (at this point anyway) is to put a Wilkerson compensated saddle and plate in it.
    Anyone like something better that's still reasonably priced?

Anyway, It plays like a dream and just rings and sustains by itself, and weighs in at (actually just slightly under), seven pounds. .....SCORE!!!
    Plugged it into a '57 reissue and just let her rip. WOW, is all I can say. I love the neck, twisted tele pickup and weight and sustain.

There is a very slight poly drop extention on the body in the neck pocket backside. It's very small but it should have been taken care of, QC wise, before leaving the shop. I can live with it or even buff it off/out if I want to be anal about.
    For $765 with a cable and goodies etc. thrown in, I ain't complaining.
    Played it in a lounge last night. Sounds wicked and plays wicked.
    I own a lot of great guitars but I can see this becoming my main gigging guitar due to the strat tone I can get out of the twisted tele pup and not having to worry about someone stealing it. It not being irreplaceable like my old strats and custom tele (although it would really hard finding one this light again)

Anyway, Love it.
    Thanks for everybody's input.
    Dave

17. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Very cool tale! I cant believe these Bajas arent around in more shops-I think they are the greatest. As far as the bridge/saddles I decided to stay stock, and after getting a pro setup I couldnt be happier. Classic tele sound and its intonation and tuning stability is great. Just this week Ive had the input jack loosen up, so I will have to get that tightened up but anyway-great tele and awsome weight.

Davo

18. pedrozepelim

pedrozepelim TDPRI Member

If I change the stock bridge pickup in my Baja with a Dimarzio Area-T or a Suhr Classic T, what would be the difference?

19. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Cant say for sure, you might like it you might not. Hopefully it plays nice with the twisted tele. Curious what dont you like about the stock pup?

20. Stylemaster

Stylemaster Tele-Afflicted

Congrats. You made a very wise choice. It's about the best deal and model Fender (or any guitar manufacturer) has to offer especially in that price range. I still can't believe how stunningly beautiful mine is (blonde with blackguard), or how amazing it plays and sounds. The neck carve is one of my all time favs. I certainly don't miss the '78 Tele I traded away a few years ago with the Baja around. There is no comparison!! Just FYI, I modded it with a Glendale cold rolled steel "Blackguard" bridge plate, KTS titanium compensated saddles (both a splurge but worth it), a 3-way switching system and circuit from Acme Guitar Works and an Electrosocket jack cup

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.