Baja owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by degsycaster, Nov 12, 2008.

1. JDA

JDA TDPRI Member

I'm wondering if the DR Strings play a factor, since they seem to have less tension than other 10-46 sets. I'll try a different brand of strings on it and see if that helps any. If not, then I'll need to check into compensated saddles.

Thanks! JD...

2. born2tele

born2tele TDPRI Member

Aha I'll definetly try that setting and see what happens.
    I haven't adjusted anything on it except for the string height but
    I'll maybe tweak the pickup height and find a spot that I like.

What amp do you mostly play your baja through?
    I wish I had a blues junior but it's too loud
    for my little room I'm sharing so I went with a vox ad15VT that works really well.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Too loud, uh-oh.

I was gonna say I like my Bajas through a Fender 65 Reissue Twin I have, and that I've tried one through a 59 Reissue Bassman and that sounds real nice.

But, those would be still louder. I sometimes forget how lucky I am to be able to just turn in up.

4. degsycaster

degsycaster Tele-Holic

Born2tele. I only have 1 amp - a mid '90s Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 with Harma cryo valves. For live work I also use a Marshall 2x12 extension cab so I end up with 3x12. Most valve amp 'purists' claim that HRDs are crappy, toneless amps, but I'd never part with mine (and I've had plenty of chances to). Maybe its because mine is an early USA built one? 40 watts but loud as hell and gut wrenching bass. For pedals I use a Marshall GV2 for a heavyish distortion/classic rock and a Boss Blues-driver for crunchy stuff, I only ever use the clean channel.

5. boris bubbanov

Degs, I have no complaint with the way many HRDs sound. My concern is it is not overengineered, lesser circuit board, cheaper parts and so forth, and won't last 60 years like some Fender amps have.

6. degsycaster

degsycaster Tele-Holic

Nor will I :lol:

7. degsycaster

degsycaster Tele-Holic

Hey, I just became a Tele-holic. Hurrah for me! Surely this means I have to buy another Tele :twisted:

8. telechucker

telechucker Tele-Meister

I'm looking forward to doing my first gig next weekend with my new Baja and newly procured Mesa Boogie amp. I'll say the lads are in for a bit of a shake up ! Hee Hee. Regards.

9. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

10. strangbender

strangbender TDPRI Member

hey guys..i've been looking for a baja tele for about 2 yrs...i would go into my local music store every weekend to see if they had one in..so i got to be really good friends with them and the guitar tech.. i know they got tired of me asking about this guitar..they wanted to sell me everything else but i didnt want anything else even tho i had never even picked up or played a baja untile the day i got mine..so one day my cell phone rang and it was my new friend the guitar tech and said he had one in the store that a guy wanted to sell..so i went down there checked it out, also the tech looked it over for me and gave it a thumbs up..played like a dream, love the neck shape and size for my hands...even tho i'm a vintage frets kinda guy i'm happy anyway...got my MZ6277468 for $325.00 gig bag and everything that came with it when it was new..so one handshake and a free complete setup later i was walking out with what i had been looking for and aggrivating everyone about for a year and a half..lol...sorry for the bad quality pic...its a cam pic...only thing i've got for now...here's a pic of my baja and my all original 1965 super reverb...they sound so good together...i love the pickups and i know some of u dont care for the s-1 switch but i can find some useful tones out of it...and i love the twisted tele neck pup in this thing...so awesome!!!!..my waite has come to an end finally..and again sorry for the bad pic.

Attached Files:

fender68 likes this.
  11. therhodeo

therhodeo Tele-Meister

Baja owner for about a year now. Desert sand. Its completely stock with 9-46's right now. It was my first "real" tele if you don't count my FMT Telecaster.

12. VoodooVox

VoodooVox Tele-Meister

I have had mine for a year now. Desert Sand, 7.25#s
    [​IMG]

13. degsycaster

degsycaster Tele-Holic

Now, that is one pretty pair of guitars :cool::cool:

14. boris bubbanov

Mr. Strang, very well done, indeed!

I'll bet it sounds fantastic with the Super Reverb.

I'm guess if you don't get too used to the medium jumbos, you could have the frets leveled and crowned, that'll get you a little closer to your old home.

Congrats.

15. bebenavole

bebenavole Tele-Meister

How pronounced is the V on thatt neck and whats the weight on these beauties?

16. strangbender

strangbender TDPRI Member

hi borris,

yes i think they sound great together..my first and only other tele is 1991 mim i bought as a graduation gift to myself brand new..it has vintage style frets so i gottn used to those..but i have found that the medium jumbo's on my baja have taught me to play a little more softer and hear the note more as appose to just putting my finger between a fret and trusting the note is not sharp or flat..its oppened up some new doors for learning i suppose for me. i'll admit it took a lil time to get used to it because the only guitar i've played since 91 has been my mim tele..but i love them both...and for anyone looking for a tele...please do not over look a mim tele...just because it says made in mexico...i've had mine 18 yrs now and it hasnt given me one bit of trouble yet!...i wouldnt trade it for the world...

17. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

The only one that I've actually held is mine, and the neck is big, but the V is very soft shaped. It's less V than the '50s Strat or Jimmie Vaughan Strat.

Like most Fender models, the weight range varies a lot. I've seen mention of 7 lbs to over 9 lbs.

18. degsycaster

degsycaster Tele-Holic

Yup, soft vee, very chunky, exactly the same as mine. A pal of mine also has a Baja (alas, not a TDPRI member), and the neck on his is identical to mine. BTW his guitar is about 7.5lb and mine is 9lb!!

19. boris bubbanov

These guys are right, bebenavole, the Vee in the Baja neck is very very subtle and tends to go away as you work your way past the 8th fret.

By comparison, the Jimmie Vaughan has a very big amount of Vee, and yet even it (except for a handful of early production ones) is still considered "Soft"
    Vee. So, I'd say super-super-super soft Vee is what the Baja is. You will be first and foremost impressed with its Girth, not its Shape when you first pick it up.

20. Willyguitar

Willyguitar Tele-Meister

I've had mine for about 6 months. It's definitely my 'go to' guitar, although wieghing it at about 8.8 pounds it is about the same weight as my Les Paul Studio. My only complaint would be that the bridge pup on mine sounds quite tinny on the B and E treble strings, no matter how much I adjust. I put in a Bare Knuckles blackguard bridge pup (had to swap around the wiring from the neck pup to the switch, because otherwise it reverses the S-1), and although that gave it more twang and much reduced the tinny treble, it now lost some of its charm in the position two, and didn't handle overdrive so well (became muddy and undefined). So... I whacked the original pickup back in there! I think this is a warm-ish pickup with sounds smooth with some drive, but has a brittle top end which is a bit reminiscent of a strat bridge pup. Maybe I have a duff one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.