Baja owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by degsycaster, Nov 12, 2008.

1. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Astro....I like the streaks. Gives it a unique character. Much nicer looking than the majority of examples that have very little grain definition.

2. mechaman327

mechaman327 Tele-Meister

:cry:I want into this club bad....

3. Broken Light

Broken Light Tele-Meister

I think you're right, it's a early '07. I've checked the neck and body, but I've found no clear markings on the neck and the markings on the body are nearly impossible to see. I thought maybe I saw a very faint red FEB at the time so it fits.

4. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

Mine is an 06 with the medallion.

[​IMG]

fender68 likes this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The cream or white pickguards are looking more and more correct on these Desert Sand Bajas. The guitar is not natural, nor yellow blonde, and so Fender Fashion suggests, not black. I guess I'm just sore they're not white blonde, a very favorite color of mine.

Here's the high count point for black pickguards on mine; never will be this many again:

[​IMG]

4telecaster4 and fender68 like this.
  6. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fender68 likes this.
  7. telechucker

telechucker Tele-Meister

Hey, I joined the club a couple of hours ago ! MZ7124396. I've got a black bakelite pickguard I'm gonna install, then get some gig time in on the gal. Too bad I have to wait till next w/e for a show. Oh well, a couple of rehearsals to show her off this week. Will post a photo when I'm done. I really like the other sounds too ! Wish the neck was a little wider. Body weight good, not too heavy. Regards.

8. telechucker

telechucker Tele-Meister

Hey team - here she is - sorry for the crappy photo. Put a set of .11's on her and tuned her up. Ready to pick ... 3.58 kg (Sorry,metric weight-a little over 7 lbs. ?) Regards.

Attached Files:

fender68 likes this.
  9. degsycaster

degsycaster Tele-Holic

Astro, I love the grain on yours. Very straight and the 'tinge' gives it bucket-loads of character :cool:

10. degsycaster

degsycaster Tele-Holic

Telechucker - welcome to the fold.

11. degsycaster

degsycaster Tele-Holic

I'm using Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys 10-46, use 'em on all my guitars and never get tuning issues. They last well and you very rarely get a 'bad' string. I guess a few of us are lucky to get Bajas that intonate, most traditionally bridged Teles I've had have had intonation issues to varying degrees. I guess on yours compensated saddles may be the way forward.

fender68 likes this.
  12. degsycaster

degsycaster Tele-Holic

The 'fabled', 'thin skin' finish?

I remember when the Baja was first on the scene, there was talk of a 'thin skin' poly finish. I don't think mine is any thinner than a regular poly finish. Have any of you guys got such a Baja?? Was the Baja ever actually released with a 'thin skin' finish??

13. Astro1176

Astro1176 Tele-Holic

Thanks PJ and Degsycaster on the positive comments to the greenish streaks (I was told that this was a common reaction of the grain to the poly finish - but it seems pretty rare!). At the moment I have been loving my Tele despite the streaks (and my arm covers the main one when I am playing!) - but maybe I need to embrace the green!

14. degsycaster

degsycaster Tele-Holic

You're welcome Astro. Mine also has a reasonably straight grain but the green on mine occasionally has a purple hue to it in certain lights. Mine is also beginning to darken quite a bit as the finish gets exposed to the elements.Here's an early picture showing the grain a bit better
    [​IMG]

fender68 likes this.
  15. von spets

von spets TDPRI Member

Mine is MZ 7197917 Desert Sand. It had too high saddle which I replaced with a reindeer bone saddle of my own making. The neck has a small bump at the 20th fret, some lacquer is chipped off. This I covered partly with super glue. I also filled in 6 or 7 holes in the neck pocket and removed all unnecessary stickers from the neck. This coupled the parts better and improved sustain and acoustic sound. Twisted pickup wires.
    I tested 500k carbon rings for the pots and I like them.
    My Baja had a lousy setup when it arrived, but it's ok now. I got to try heavier strings if they make the guitar more alive..

It's a good Tele!!!!

16. degsycaster

degsycaster Tele-Holic

Shame you had to do so much to get yours 'good' Muza. I was poised to get a set of compensated saddles when I got mine but it was so good out of the box that I never bothered, and I havn't touched the setup since (except the pickup heights). I'd love to see a pic of that reindeer bone saddle :eek:

17. degsycaster

degsycaster Tele-Holic

Boris four desert sand Bajas! You must really like that colour :eek:

18. Glenn D.

Glenn D. Tele-Meister

I hated the two available colors, and the weight on the one I bought was over nine pounds. One ebay auction later from Reliablefender I ended up with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glenn D.

fender68 likes this.
  19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I actually have seven (7). :oops:

[​IMG]

When I was searching hard for them, I only found a very few blonde ones. But I only bought the better playing/better priced ones I found (out of 75-100). So I learned to like the Desert Sand color.

No, the blonde is nicer, trans white blonde would be better still.

I always imagined I'd rebody most of them. Maybe one I will, the one I call "Pensacola" that cost me new $ 469 + FL tax.

What? Should I have bought Lehmann Brothers or GM stock, instead?

20. von spets

von spets TDPRI Member

Actually I enjoy tinkering with my instruments, that's how they get my mojo :D

Here's the saddle, nothing fancy about it except the bone is from a reindeer antler from Lapland. I didn't hear any difference with the original plastic saddle, but I expect my acoustic guitar will benefit from a bone saddle and bridge.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.