Baja owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by degsycaster, Nov 12, 2008.

1. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

I keep falling in and out of this club. I had a BSB years ago (2008 I think) which is in the thread somewhere, but I ended up selling it to a friend, can't remember why but there you go.
    I bought another last year, it was a good price and literally mint. Same year. Didn't like this one at all, it was one of the properly heavy ones, but I sold it for a healthy profit.

A couple of months ago I picked up a Desert Sand 2010 which has had a bit of a life, needed the frets levelling and crowning, and whilst it has the original pickups it had been converted to a standard 3 way. I don't really use the S1 features so put it back to a 4 way, and it's a lovely guitar.

Just earlier this week I was trying to shift an Epiphone standard 50s Goldtop without much success, when someone offered me a straight swap on a BSB Baja. I couldn't really say no to that deal, so I'm now a 2 Baja family.

The BSB one is newer, 2018 but it's the lightest one I've played, and is I think also the best one I've played, although as Takauya has mentioned, the neck is different, no rolled edges and a more prominent 'V'. I love the V but would prefer the fingerboard to still be rolled.
    I was planning on only keeping one of them, but they're very different guitars really despite both being Bajas...I might put some different pickups in the desert sand one, not sure yet, but loving both of them currently.

PXL_20210301_102838228.jpg
    PXL_20210122_132008871.jpg

Flaneur and jimmyjoe like this.
  2. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

We're not a homogenous sub-group, are we? Some of us love Bajas in stock form, some love the concept but not the pickups, or wish the finish was less durable. Some love the fancy switching and some remove it, at the first sign of unreliability. Some are still waiting to find the perfect example and keep trading away disappointments. Weight is a major factor.
    Through it all, the fat neck, with a 9.5 and biggish frets, is something we can all agree upon: and one of Fender's smarter moves, by bringing it to the middle marketplace.

7845660_6644076a19ff5be7498d2db89fe0edc9_t.jpg

HenryTheReb and kohoutec like this.
  3. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

I'm keeping the new BSB one stock, but as I say might put some different pickups in the desert sand. I got most of the original wiring harness included when I bought it, needed a new tone cap and a couple of wires resoldering, so with a day off work today got that done. So if I ever want to put it back to stock the options there, but I'm thinking some fairly grunty pickups might work well in this one...

4. Szacsa

Szacsa TDPRI Member

Hi fellow Baja owners!

I’ve just recently got my hands on a 2012 BSB Baja. Mint condition, apart from the electronics, 4-way switch and S1 are gone, just as the original pickups.

I know it’s not easy to find those second hand, but I have to try.

So, does anyone have an original Baja pickup set for sale and willing to ship to Hungary? EU located would be the best.

Thanks a lot, cheers from Hungary,
    Csaba

5. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

Congrats on the Baja!
    The stock pups are nothing special, so you don't need to try, imo.
    If you want though, you should be able to find the set pretty easily on Reverb or Ebay, the set was used on American Standard Teles started in 2012 until it's discontinued in 2019? (I'm not sure.). The set used in the AS was RWRP, the Baja was not.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  6. AdrianSOS

AdrianSOS NEW MEMBER!

Joining the club: MX12279098. Greetings from Amsterdam 4B5FFB0A-9CAA-409C-9BE8-FB5F3A72B938.jpeg

Flaneur likes this.
  7. Mojambo

Mojambo TDPRI Member

I have a quick question: Do these have medium jumbo frets? I'm looking to add a sibling for my Muddy Waters Tele, which has a 9.5 radius fretboard w/ medium jumbo frets and I love the feel of it so I'd like something similar. Considering a Baja 60s. Thanks!

8. Flaneur

The '50s Baja and '60s Baja both have medium jumbo frets. :)
    (Neck profiles are not similar).

Mojambo likes this.
  9. Flaneur

60's Baja Owners | Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)

You might find this useful. There has been a bit of confusion, between these two guitars, which the '60s thread was started to overcome.

Mojambo likes this.
  10. HenryTheReb

HenryTheReb TDPRI Member

Baja greetings from Germany, #MX18182679!

Were there any notable changes to the specs during the build period from 2008 to 2019? I've read that the nut width is supposed to have changed over the years, and that the profile has changed somewhat. Can anyone give me any information on this? IMG_4154.JPG

kohoutec and Flaneur like this.
  11. Cris hdez

Cris hdez TDPRI Member

Hello friends, I just acquired this beautiful Baja telecaster and looking for information on the internet I found this group where they share a love for the Baja .
    MX19011451
    Greetings from Mexico

IMG_20210422_003058580.jpg

12. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

Welcome to the club :)
    I can only speak on the ones I've had, but I found the V neck profile less pronounced in the older ones, with more of a V on the later ones. I also found the fretboard edges were rolled more on the older ones I've had.
    Didn't notice any difference in nut width but I have read the same somewhere.

13. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

After more than 7 years with my Baja I thought it was time to change it up a little. Off with the black guard and on with the tortoise :)

IMG_7822.jpg

Cris hdez likes this.
  14. Cris hdez

Cris hdez TDPRI Member

Good day friends. What modifications have you made to the electronics of your baja telecaster that you recommend

15. Flaneur

Hi Cris,

I have owned a 12 year-old Baja, for 7 years. I've gigged it a lot, and taken it to a lot of venues and rehearsals, in a soft bag. The only electrical change I've needed to make was an output jack. I don't use all the switching options much- but I've never had a problem with their functionality.
    I love the pickups and have never thought about changing them.

I hope you (and your beautiful baby) enjoy your new guitar, as much as I have enjoyed mine. :)

F.

Walden and Cris hdez like this.
  16. JTRake

JTRake NEW MEMBER!

Hi

Newbie to this forum here.

I bought a used Baja some time ago. I love the sound of the guitar, pickups are fantastic. I have some other issues with mine that I won´t dwelve into right now. Anyhow, I was improvising/noodling guitar solos to a song I was writing last year and my Strat that is my main guitar "went out of juice"/Died. I have installed a piezo bridge and when the battery dies the whole guitar does as well. Lesson learned I guess. So I thought, what the heck. I picked up my Baja and continued to noodle and also recorded a video of the session to add some content to my otherwise dead social media platforms where I have accounts:). Now I stumbled over this forum and thread and realized that there are many ppl that loves this guitar so I thought I would share the video here. The video is probably not the best representation of the "Baja´s sound" and sorry for the sloppy playing. As mentioned it is just noodling ideas. I have somehow disabled comments on my Youtube channel and have not managed to enabled them again so I have at least no fear of a comments "Sh*t Show" :). The Baja is a great sounding guitar that I mostly credit the pickups for. When I listened to this video again now, I was suprised that this guitar that I have associated with country actually sounds good in more distorted settings to. Well, enjoy or hate. :)

RevBillyG likes this.
  17. Cris hdez

Cris hdez TDPRI Member

hello again friends, someone has changed the tuners for some locking tuners, I have in my sights some gotoh but I do not know if it is necessary to make major modifications to the headstock

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.