Baja owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by degsycaster, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Count me in!

A blonde 2011 Baja followed me home yesterday. It was for sale a ten minutes walk from home. Light and responsive, much richer in the upper mids than my other Teles. That's why I wanted it!

After a quick setup it plays very well. Heel end truss rod adjustment is sort of annoying, though. Now I got lucky and got the relief right on first try.

Also first time setting intonation on a three saddle bridge for me. No biggie, quicker than a six saddle!

I haven't weighed it yet, but it's the lightest out of my three Teles.

So what else will I do except play it? I will drill out the neck screw holes in the body. I was too tired to go out and do it while I had the neck off last night. Then I suspect that the fret ends will need some attention when winter comes. For that to be a one-time job, I'll wait for February.

When playing in the cover band, I think I will like the extra S1 options. I like to be able to thin out quickly. To keep percussive content while reducing the tonal content. Now, wheather this works or not in a band situation will show at next rehearsal.

Omiewise65 likes this.
  2. jimmyjoe

jimmyjoe Tele-Meister

Hi Cosmicdancer.
    I'm not able to answer your question regarding price as I'm not US-based. But I can say something anyways, based on my over 1 year owning and playing Baja.
    Regarding noise, it's not any more noisy than any normal single-coil telecaster. Although when switching the S1, you may hear some popping sound, depending on what amp and cable you're using.
    Other than that, it's a wonderful guitar. Craftmanship and quality much better than a usual MIM (and I can compare it to my Classic 60s which I own for years). Pickups sound great. Ash body + brass saddles + chunky neck = warm sound with sustain.
    All the extra sounds you get with the 4-way switch plus S1 are usable, once you get used to them. Neck + bridge in series (front position), some people say it sounds similar to P-90s or TV Jones, definitely warm sound. Series and out-of-phase (front position, S1 engaged) to me sounds like something between T-Bone Walker and Albert King. Some say you can come close to Peter Green sound using this position. Parallell and out-of-phase (middle position, S1 engaged) gives you sound similar to Strat in-between positions.
    In general, I use the tone knob quite a lot, it seems to warm the sound (instead of making it muddy). When I need more bite, I can always crank up the tone.
    Looking at internet shop prices, you can have a new Baja for $800 without a case.
    Hope this helps

3. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

Hi guys/dolls!

Where can one buy a good quality 1 ply 5 hole parchment colored pickguard?

I've found eggshell colored ones, and I've found multi ply parchment ones, but not a 1 ply.

4. takauya

takauya TDPRI Member

My two Baja teles, 50s and 60s. I've been thinking about replacing the pickguards on each and just found out the cheap black one on the 50s kinda looks good on the 60s burst.
    Now, I just need a nice bakelite pickguard for the 50s.

1.JPG 2.JPG

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Mxrk likes this.
  5. Mxrk

Mxrk TDPRI Member

I always wanted to try this. I had a Baja 60s neck that I loved but I never warmed up to the pickups in the 60s body. Then I got a great deal on a butterscotch 50s Baja but the thick neck was just too unwieldy for me (it's up for sale). Put the 60s neck on the 50's body and I'm in love:

IMG_3954.jpg IMG_3957.jpg

James Knox likes this.
  6. GK34

GK34 Tele-Meister

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mxrk likes this.
  7. MGiroux77

MGiroux77 TDPRI Member

Here is my 2018 Baja. MX18125200. I have several upgrades includiing a Rutters bridge and saddles, Lollar Special pickups, Rutters Cup (jack), Emerson custom 4 way wiring. 6 pounds 13 ounces of awesome guitar!!

Attached Files:

petemoss41 and jimmyjoe like this.
  8. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister

Proud Baja owner here. 2012 in BSB, 2009 in the awesome desert sand finish! The 2009 is probably my all-time favourite guitar. I hand picked them to find the biggest necks on these, and I succeeded! .93-1.03, .95-1.05!

Attached Files:

• git3.jpg
      git3.jpg
      File size:
      436.4 KB
      Views:
    Flaneur and GuitarKid like this.
  9. cpk313

cpk313 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

So I bought 2 Baja's recently from Guitar Center, both used of course. The first one is a 2 tone burst that was $549, no case, made in 2017, has original pickups but has had the 4way and S1 switch removed. Work seems decent. Previous owner I think deglossed the neck and fret board and it actually is pretty nice but there is enough wear on the G that it is just starting to divot on some frets. Plays fine and sounds really nice. It's 8 lbs 3oz which isn't too much but is heavier then my other guitars. No case.

Bought a second one that ran $669, thought it was going to be in better shape it weighs 7lbs 9oz and is a 2013 and it does not have the S1 and 4 way either. It also had the pickups replaced with a N3 noiseless in the neck and I'm not sure what's in the bridge but the job done was done badly as it has a loose/partial ground issue that come and goes if you touch the volume pot. The neck is still full gloss and 'seems' to have smaller frets then the 2017. For a millasecond I thought about swapping pickups between the two but I'm not going to do that. No case either, and really piss poor pack job from Appletone GC, I'm amazed it got to my house in one piece. And with it's current pickups it sounds pretty blah.

More expensive one is definitely going back. They only thing it has going for it is the weight, other then that everything else about it is between so,so and ****e. I was sure I was going to take the Burst one back too but every time I play it I like it. How much fret wear would you guys accept for a used guitar? It is heavier then I'd like but it's not too heavy. It's either that or picking up a 2019 Les Paul special with p90's.

10. cpk313

cpk313 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Just bought a, crossing my fingers, 2012 Les Paul Special with p90's off Reverb that according to the photos and seller it is in excellent condition. It will be it or the Baja but if the guitar is what it should be my time in the Baja Owner's Club will come to an abrupt end.

11. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

A Baja is definitely not for you, if you love aged finishes. I've done maybe 100 gigs with this one, dragged it around on the bus, loaned it to strangers, at jams, used it for rehearsal and practice at home. It was five years old, when I bought it. Five more years- and barely a scratch......

7845660_6644076a19ff5be7498d2db89fe0edc9_t.jpg

12. Watchdogg

Watchdogg TDPRI Member

Add me in. One of the last made in 2017 I believe. Picked up last Veterans day for 500 bux. Cheapest by far guitar I own but one of most played. Some very mild tweaking and it was good to go. Love the neck pickup and how it is almost virtually impossible to knock out of tune. 8lbs even. 15851488922055382569712055775794.jpg 15851489809106375434102362291171.jpg 15851490048126669295136304785415.jpg

JKPickin likes this.
  13. takauya

takauya TDPRI Member

I've sold the 60s in the pic a couple of posts above. It was a good guitar but compared to the 50s, it just didn't get played. The 50s' neck is just perfect. Mine is no too light not too heavy, 7.4 lbs. I've removed the useless S-1 and a 4way switch then installed a normal 3way switch and pots. Also replaced the stock pups with Fender OV. I didn't like the TT/BC combo at all. Now I love it even more than a CS Nocaster I had before.
    I really wish a Roadworn I bought a couple days ago was as good as my Baja 50s, but no it was nowhere near. Had to return it soon.

Watchdogg likes this.
  14. Gtrmaestro

Gtrmaestro TDPRI Member

I'm in. Proud owner of MX18032435 which is the best Tele I have ever owned! I had a Bluesman Vintage Esquire that was stellar, but this is the best Tele. I traded a Hagstrom Swede, a Vibro Champ XD, a Maxon Sd-9 & $200 cash for her and couldn't be happier with the deal! I got the Swede for free and only had $200 in the Champ & the Maxon. Haven't given her a name yet but working on it. Would upload a pic but I don't know how. She's a 50's blackguard and I really dig her!

Watchdogg, Flaneur and JKPickin like this.
  15. br000c

br000c TDPRI Member

New member and first post!

I joined the club a few weeks ago buying locally a mint used 2013 white blonde Baja as my first tele. I was a bit affraid of the narrow nut, but with the fat neck profile it just feels great. I really like the tonal options and use the 4th position a lot. It weights 7.8lb (3.55kg)

Just did my own setup and a bit of shielding. I also added a brand new ashtray and a used lackered tweed blues junior :)

MX13415995 br000c WBL 7.8lb France

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Flaneur likes this.
  16. benadrian

benadrian Tele-Meister

That Blonde looks fantastic! My Baja was much more of a yellow blonde; tres jaune!

Classy looking setup!

br000c likes this.
  17. Capthutch58

Capthutch58 NEW MEMBER!

New member here. I picked up this Baja tele about 6 weeks ago. I’ve tried many different telecasters over the last few decades and this one, as odd as it is, is my keeper. A previous owner broke the neck and replaced it with the maple/maple as seen.
    The weirdest part is that there are multiple holes drilled in various parts of the body.

I do like the S1 system a lot! I do play Peter Green material on my LP w phase. The Tele adds in something a bit different (and lighter!) 8DCAD455-2248-42EE-BB7D-3932FC807E9D.jpeg CF71F612-4AF0-498E-9EE5-9287CC4E8B72.jpeg 97475E26-B60E-4989-99BC-027E45393EE1.jpeg 6E5A883E-2FCF-4E5F-82AC-6A419640D47B.jpeg C7EA82B4-C225-447B-B8D3-AAD89F8FE36E.jpeg

flinx, Flaneur and br000c like this.
  18. Walden

Walden TDPRI Member

Very happy Baja owner here. Bought this one last year, dated it via the Fender Database, it was build in 01/2019 (Serial No. MX 18159049). What a great sounding, sturdy and calming instrument. It came perfectly set up and is played over a Champ 5f1 type amp.
    I absolutely love the tone of this guitar. I mostly use the regular pickup settings, but it's nice to know there are more options if needed.
    All I changed was the pickguard, the original one was cheap looking and bend. New one is a bakelite 50s pickguard which fits nice and snug. IMG_1446.jpg

br000c and Flaneur like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.