Baja owners club

BoogerRooger

Poster Extraordinaire
Any pics?

Bajas are still popular and the thread's still going strong! Mine's getting on for 6 years old and it plays and sounds as good as ever!

Torz Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I had a Baja years ago. It was a great guitar but I let it go because it was too heavy and also the guy I got it from (on another forum) neglected to mention the big chip in the finish before I bought it. That left a bad taste in my mouth and every time I looked at it I got PO'd again.

Anyway this one has even better fit and finish than my previous one and is a lot lighter. Man I love the necks and pickups on these.

full

blj725

TDPRI Member
Happy to finally be in the club with a gently used 2006 I picked up recently, MZ6259379. Desert Sand that aged to a nice yelowish blonde and the neck has also turned amber–love the color. This is my first Tele and I'm amazed at how different it is from my Strat. Everytime I look at the guitar, I have to pick her up and play. First guitar with a vintage look and hardware and I love it. Was gassing for a 60's tele with a rosewood neck, but there is just something about the maple. I guess I need both. IMG_3076.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3078.JPG
    IMG_3078.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_3080.JPG
    IMG_3080.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 265

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
Here's my tele family;

upload_2018-4-26_9-43-28.jpeg

I have too many, so intend to reduce it to just these over the coming year;

upload_2018-4-26_9-44-35.jpeg

then yesterday this arrived:

upload_2018-4-26_9-42-0.jpeg

Other than the pickguard, there is not a mark on her, though she is very grubby at the moment. The neck profile feels good, but she is the first guitar I have ever had where I need to deal with the fret ends! At 7lbs 3ozs she is a comfortable weight. All I can say is that she will help me decide which guitars to keep and which can be sold.

upload_2018-4-26_9-42-16.jpeg

upload_2018-4-26_9-42-32.jpeg

horax

Tele-Afflicted
dang these have great specs!
If I didn't ahve a usa standard with the same pickups I'd be all over them at this price!

I am in the market for a new toy in July, but I can't justify buying another with the same pickups....dang...maybe trade them out for nocasters?

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
I've been gigging my '09 Baja for four years now. No problems with the complex wiring- and this thing get thrown around, in a gig bag, all the time- not pampered at all.
A fantastic, versatile money maker. I think I should buy it a bakelite guard, as a reward.....:cool:

jz63

Tele-Holic
9E01A167-F444-477B-B452-A0008A682068.jpeg Hey guys
Ive noticed there are a whole lot of variance in the shade and translucence of the BSB finishes on the Bajas. My current one is quite more butterscotch as opposed to blonde looking with less grain showing through than others I’ve seen. Is this normal?

jimmyjoe

Tele-Meister
Hi everyone,
a happy new Baja owner here.
I bought her a few weeks ago, played at home, played a gig on her and I'm totally in love now.
The serial number says it's from 2014, I'm the first owner, it seems the guitar was in the shop for a few years.
I still have a OWT Classic 60s, of course compared how they sound on my amp and I can't stop wondering how different they are.
From the sound (Classic 60s - awesome twang, Baja - lots of chimes, space and singing sustain with clear attack) to the neck to the bridge and the finish, basically every detail is different. On the 60s I can see the wood grain (although the finish is not transparent at all) while the Baja has perfectly level surface. I like the 50s string tree on the Baja better than the 60s style butterfly, which sometimes squeaks. The neck plate is twice as thick on the Baja (I know it doesn't matter much, but it gives it a solid look and feel).
The body seems to be made of two pieces (yeah, I know it doesn't matter sound-wise, but it looks great). Even strap buttons seem to be made of some better alloy.
Also ash seems to be much harder and more dense than alder, judging by how hard it is to turn the pickguard screws.
Ah, and it's the first time I like the stock tele tone circuit with 47nF and it seems useful!
Now I have to get used to the low action with a little buzz and start using lighter attack (on my 60s I have fairly high action and like to pick quite hard). But the sustain is so rewarding!
The only thing I will likely change at some point is the wiring. I like almost all the extra tones (besides series out-of-phase), but I'd like to add some more. In my "old" tele I modded the wiring so that I can blend the pickups and I find it a great improvement - so many sounds unavailable with the standard wiring.
Looking at the Baja circuit I see one section on the S1 is unused - has anybody made any use of it? I'm curious about additional possibilities it may offer.

P_20180716_233256.jpg

P_20180716_232839.jpg

slide13

TDPRI Member
Picked up a Baja today, my first Tele after wanting one for a long time. GC had one with a chip on the edge of the body and a few dents on the side of the neck. Was hoping to score a better deal but ended up taking it at 20% off because it just was feeling “right” to me. Love the feel of the neck and it has all those Tele tones plus more. Really a solid guitar, fit and finish seems pretty nice for the money. Excited to finally have a Tele and one that I think is a killer value.

Week prior I was looking at an American Original 50’s and it left me a little disappointed. Just wasn’t quite right....high E string too close to edge of fretboard for my taste made it uncomfortable to play. Considering the Baja was well less than half the price and just felt better for me, I’m happy.

pokett

TDPRI Member
How do the older ones compare to the new ones?
I have an old one… but I think one of the biggest differences (maybe the only real one?) is that the older ones (especially the very first ones) seemed to be:

a) on balance much heavier and
b) more inconsistent on the weight (some were much heavier, others were more 'normal' for a Tele)

Mine is one of the older by serial number on this thread and it is HEAVY. But I like it, I was predominantly playing a LP copy, so the heaviness felt normal.

blues bondsman

Tele-Afflicted
I just joined the club.
Guitar Center had 36 month no interest and a sweet looking Baja in BSB with a nice black guard.
I went straight to it from the front door, did some twang'n around on it and fell in love.

Will I get used to that chunky neck ??? probably.

Pictures tomorrow, its getting late and I'm tired !

blues bondsman

Tele-Afflicted
Without pictures it didn't happen so here is her sister welcoming her to the family.
I played enough to make my fingers hurt a little.
The 68 bandmaster is pumping into two Cannabis Rex speakers in that open back cab.

This Tele like some grit ! and growls just right when I dig in !!
So far the neck pickup with out the S-1 engaged is my favorite, position #4 is a close second.

IMG_3080.JPG