Baja overrated?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Fretting out, Jun 28, 2019.

Tags:

Baja neck Opinions

1. definitely chunky

33 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. Medium sized

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. My bullet is thicker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

i purchased a baja several years ago after liking the specs and reading that they had fairly chunky necks (every one has their own definition of chunky)
    I was just wondering if anyone else was disappointed or surprised on the built up
    Neck size and if most think this is chunky or just a medium sized neck that’s shaped In a likable way.
    I happen to have a 79-80 lead 2 and a 72 tele that have almost the exact neck thickness. I always found them comfortable but not in the big realm
    All things aside it’s one of fenders most popular models for a reason .

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

You spelled beatles wrong

3. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Isn’t Beatles spelled with a capital “B”?...

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

no. it's not.

LOSTVENTURE likes this.
  5. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Ain't nothing overrated about them. Mine is everything a Tele should be.

Owenmoney, howardlo and JayFreddy like this.
  6. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Ive only ever played a one in a store but from whats been measures before they're nearly a full inch all the way down the neck (0.9-0.95" at the first fret and 1" at the 12th). If you wrap your hand around the neck I could see that it might feel less thick than an C/oval/U shape because a V would have a smaller circumference.

My blue guitar in my signature has a neck that feels huge but is actually thinner than most "fat" necks (0.85 at the 1st and 0.96 at 12th) but its because the nut is 1 3/4" so 0.125" wider than standard. If your looking for a big feeling neck and arent fully satisfied with a full 1" thickness Id suggest looking at wider necks.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Best tele for the buck ... by far IMO. If only I knew, but once I tried one I have been lusting for one ever since. I now have the same pups, but someday, probably when I wear out the frets of my MIM BSB FSR RC, I'll be searching for a Baja neck.

Owenmoney likes this.
  8. Fretting out

I guess a better way of saying it is in the age of online site unseen purchases was anyone underwhelmed by the physical size of the neck vs. perceived size based on descriptions
    I’d also like to say that I am very happy with my Baja and it’s great it just wasn’t as expected
    This is in no way a Baja bashing

9. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

It's the chunkiest neck I've ever played on a Fender. The modern C necks are completely different animals in comparison.

If I had to compare it to anything, I would say its closest to the neck on my Les Paul Traditional, with a little more V shape.

10. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

I had a 2011 MIM FSR that had a fatter neck than all the '50s Baja I've seen. I like the Baja neck better.

11. Fretting out

If I had to compare it to anything, I would say its closest to the neck on my Les Paul Traditional, with a little more V shape.[/QUOTE]
    I think the Les Paul is what ruined me when I was 15 and had my first job I bought a 57 gold top R.I and haven’t found anything comparable in the fender universe that I strictly reside in now

drutgat and stnmtthw like this.
  12. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Quite clearly a "chunky" handful of a neck. I have a Baja '50s maple neck on my Cabronita Thinline. I bought the neck because of the hoopla around it and decided to give it a try.

While I have no problem with the neck, and can play it just fine... I do find myself preferring the much more common "Modern C" that Fender provides on so many of their models, and the American Standard/Performer/Professional profiles. These are all slightly different, but quite noticeably less "chunky" than the Baja neck is.

Neck profile is a very personal choice... none are any "better" than any other, just different varieties, some appealing to some people and not to others.

Find "your" groove and play on!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  13. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

More like over-weighted.

14. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

Baja's are my favorite teles Fender has made since the American Standard (feels like a long time ago). The necks aren't quite what I call chunky, probably due to the lack of shoulder. I like my necks THICK. My 2 parts guitars have the same BGP necks, a U shape with 1.0" to 1.0" (it's called "full back" or something). Nicely fills my freakishly large hands.

drutgat and JayFreddy like this.
  15. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

I got a Baja before I knew anything about them. just kinda liked it at this little used shop I was at. not to mention it was the only tele in the store I could afford. the neck didn't strike me as HUGE, but coming from the super Strat world it was thicker for sure. saw all the talk about the thick necks but still didn't think it was but had no comparison. the I got the brad paisley tele and that things neck IS huge! so in comparison, when I go back to the Baja it feels kinda thin until I get the Kramer out. lol

JayFreddy likes this.
  16. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

If you are just wanting a similar shaped neck for comparison, find a '55 0r '56 Tele. They are so close, it's spooky. Since I first picked up my Baja in 2006 I've alway thought that Fender should have kept that neck for their custom shop models.

17. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

It's pretty big, but really comfortably contoured for me. It has little in the way of shoulders like someone said, so ymmv. But I can do without. I traded mine and it's the only guitar I miss that I've traded or sold. Just some 50s production Baja.

18. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

No. They are not over rated.

The Baja neck voluptuous.

The Nocaster neck is chunky.

I like both. I tend to lean towards somewhat thicker necks. They seem more stable tuning wise, and they're less likely to break.

Owenmoney likes this.
  19. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

I could be wrong, but don't the different Baja models have different neck profiles. The original Baja (BSB and Desert Sand, 50's inspired model) did have a pretty sizable, chunky neck...at least the one I owned about 10 years ago did. Although I've never played on, the 60's Baja that came out years later has a slimmer neck from what I've read.

My personal favorite neck is the Classic 50's neck. Not thin, not chunky, but far from slim and has a pretty full feel to it, which I would call a full C shape.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  20. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Indeed, the Baja '50s neck is the chunky one. The Baja '60s neck is more like a Modified C, not skinny, not chunky - just right!

Personally, the Baja '60s neck is one of my all time favorite Fender necks (of my 16 Fender necks). The Baja '50s neck is just a little "chunkier" than I generally prefer.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    TwangerWannabe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.