1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Baja or AmStd Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by logan2z, Jul 25, 2011.

1. zoppotrump

zoppotrump Tele-Afflicted

The AmStd. is the only guitar i have sold again after playing it for a couple of months. huge fret wear, due to very soft fret wire, shreeky, i had to tighten 3 of 4 neck screws that were loose. And i bought it brandnew from an Fender dealer....
    i played a lot cheaper teles that sounded and played way better....

2. Daywalker

Daywalker TDPRI Member

I've never really found a MIM that's build quality was so low that a proper set up and fret leveling didn't fix.

I'd do all of this on any new guitar anyways.

An example: I have a 2004 MIM Strat with the usual upgraded electronics and set up. I had been GASing for a Vintage American Strat so I picked up a 57 RI and a Deluxe V neck Strat. The body cuts were both superior to the MIM, but they didn't necessarily "feel" better....Just different. The V shaped nitro and satin necks are great. BUT.....I only kept the Deluxe for a few weeks before selling her off. I have kept the 57 RI but always find myself longing to play my MIM. I now own the BAJA, mostly for the V neck. This is my most favorite neck that I've ever played!

Once properly set up and modified to your personal liking (and still much less expensive than an American), I can't find a single thing that makes an AMERICAN much better. Just different, and being able to say that it's an American.

3. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon Tele-Meister

Sounds like I need to try one of these Bajas!

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Tele-Holic

You should always buy whatever guitar inspires YOU the most but I will share this one little tibit with you. You'll find way more used American Standard Teles up for sale around the country (USA). Used Baja Teles are much harder to find because they are a great guitar for the money and they always seem to get snatched up quickly.

When I go to guitar shows around the country, both guitars seemed to be priced about the same but the used American Standards just seem to outnumber the used Bajas by a score of ten to one.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think Tommyboy is on to something. If a Baja did not work out, it would be much easier to resell for decent money than the Am. Standard.

But I need to come to grips with the Baja supply situation, 2011. They're hard to find. The dealers know this, and they use the Baja profit to pay the bills. Maybe the days of finding multiple new Bajas for sale at $ 499 or even $ 469 is gone forever. Maybe $ 650 is the new "bargain" price.

6. TwangBilly

TwangBilly Tele-Afflicted

I almost bought a Baja. I liked it, but I opted for the G.E.Smith signature Fender Tele hanging below it. More money but it just felt right to me. The fit, finnish, build quality and overall feel was just so much nicer for me. I knew I would be able to afford just one nice new Tele for the foreseeable future, and I wanted it to be American. I'm glad I went that route, It was the right choice for me. Now that I'm wanting another Tele just for the fun of it, I might get a Baja. My advice is, if your going to own one, buy American. Then later, the Baja is a great addition to your collection. Just my opinion.

7. Turbogoon

Turbogoon Tele-Meister

I am resolutely in the Baja camp.
    No need to "buy American" per se. As has been said before, 'play a few, buy the best'.

I rolled the fretboard edges of my Baja with a screwdriver. The lacquer compressed fine - except in two places where there was a little cracking. Neverthless, I have the most beautifully comfy neck EVER now - lovely chunky soft V into a C, with curved edges like a modern USA tele for less than half the price.

As regards the 'gloss vs satin' - I simply took some 1200 grit paper and sanded a few microns of varnish off (back and front!). Now I have a satin feel!

Happy days... :cool:

8. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Get the Baja, its a superb guitar-maybe the best coming out of ensenada.

9. Rusty Rivers

Rusty Rivers Tele-Meister

Fwiw, I don't find the neck of the Ame. Standard to be thin at all- feels like a normal medium C shape to me. For reference, I have a '62 Hot Rod Strat that has a fat baseball bat size neck. I have a 2011 Ame. Standard and the quality is right up there w/ the best guitars I've ever played. I've played a few Bajas and a couple were really nice but there were a few more that were not put together very well, not as consisitent as the recent American Standards IMO.

10. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon Tele-Meister

Not to knock the Baja in any way (cause I dont really know about it), but Im kinda surprised the AM ST doesnt get more love around here. May not be the best "value", but its still a pretty killer guitar. Dunno.:confused:

11. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

I have both and love both for different reasons. I just rotate between the two every year or so.

12. Hollandcaster

Hollandcaster Tele-Holic

Those 2011 Am.Std neck's are bigger then Baja's necks, at least in 3 shops where I compared them. I bought the Am.Stand... I need to say, played 6 Am.Std's> 2 were dissapointing, played 3 baja's>2 were REALY dissapointing....
    [​IMG]

13. GregWV

GregWV Tele-Meister

I picked up a 2011 AmStd earlier this year. After putting in a set of Texas Specials, this baby rocks. I also have a Hwy1 Tele, and while I love this guitar too my AmStd is the best playing guitar I have ever played. It's much lighter than the Hwy1 and the neck pup is spectacular. Love the neck!

I've not played a Baja, buy you couldn't go wrong with the AmStd. Black with maple neck is so classy!

14. 68 Shovelhead

68 Shovelhead Tele-Afflicted

Now that's a classy looking rig!

I'd also say go try 'em out, pretty hard to go wrong with either one IMO.

15. rosskoko

rosskoko TDPRI Member

Mines a Baja.
    I tried loads of teles before deciding. I just got on very well with the Baja neck, fits me well. Mine is pretty heavy though and I've read that there this is an issue with them. the two I tried in the shops were light, I ordered online and got a heavy one but I dont mind as it plays really well. the finnish isnt the same as the shop ones either so I think you have to be lucky with what you get online.
    try try try and then buy.

16. slotted screw

slotted screw Tele-Meister

for me it's baja, baja, baja!

never really bonded with american standard necks, but they do sound good too!

your left hand and your ears will make the final call!

happy hunting!

17. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

+1

18. rosskoko

rosskoko TDPRI Member

I find it strange that the Baja's are hard to find in America. The european market has them readily available. you would think the demand would bring more in.
    Look on the UK sites and import. Can't be that much more $. thats if you are happy with online purchases.

19. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Buy North American. Get a Baja.

20. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Dont get me wrong, I consider the American standards to be THE standard. But the Baja is an exceptional guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.