Baja officially discontinued

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by petemoss41, Jun 20, 2019.

1. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Nope, it's poly.... :D

BorderRadio likes this.
  2. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Any guitar that cost $1000 should include a hard-shell case... not a gig bag in my opinion.

3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This is the Baja 50s replacement. The S1 switch is gone and it has the new MIM deep U profile neck, 9 1/2" radius, and IIRC tall frets. It's still got the Twisted Tele neck pickup. It's hard to tell from the description of the bridge pickup, but it might still be the Broadcaster pickup. Fender has been known to rename pickups with no change in specs.

50s Modified Tele

The entire Vintera line

Edit: Fender now has these on their US site. It says "vintage" frets for the 50s Modified Tele. I believe the MIM deep U replacement neck has tall frets, so we'll just have to see what Fender delivers on the guitar.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Is it a 50 or 60 ?

5. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

Both 50s and 60s Modified models are alder. The butterscotch blonde model of the 50's modified version is indeed ash.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  6. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

The pickups on the 50s and 60s Vintera Modifieds are different than the Baja and Baja 60.

They still have the 4 position switch and the S1 switch.

7. Butch Snyder

The 50s Modified does have the same pickups as the 50s Baja. Twisted Tele in the neck and Custom Shop Vintage-Style Single-Coil Tele® in the bridge, which is basically a renamed Broadcaster pickup. Fender dropped that name some time ago.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  8. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Wow, what a great name change.

9. Butch Snyder

Tell me about it. Don't know why these companies do what they do. Marketing??? I thought the Broadcaster name was cool. Better than the generic names they're using now. I liked the Blackguard pickups too. They were great. Fender doesn't even make them anymore.

Bruxist likes this.
  10. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

IKR? While what Broadcaster pickups actually sounded like, if they were consistent, might be up for debate, when you say "broadcaster" people generally know what specs and tone you are referring too.

As opposed to "vintage-style" which could mean just about anything that has been produced, depending on how old you believe something has to be to be vintage.

awasson likes this.
  11. Butch Snyder

Hmmmm, could be... I would still say it's a name change on the same pickup.

Bruxist likes this.
  12. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think technically the pickup is a modified version of the one that comes in the CS's "Broadcaster" set - it was also used on American Standards from March 2012 until they were discontinued for the American Professionals in December 2016. At some point around 2015 Fender had that name change to the generic name.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  13. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oh, I agree. Just lamenting the name change to something less descriptive.

14. archetype

By the preliminary description from Anderton's I, too, figured it was a renamed Broadcaster pickup, but Sweetwater's listing says "In the bridge, you’ll find a hot-wound vintage-style pickup with Alnico II and III magnets, Formvar-coated wire, and staggered beveled pole pieces..."

Fender Vintera '50s Telecaster Modified - Butterscotch Blonde

15. Butch Snyder

This is just getting weird now.

awasson likes this.
  16. archetype

Fender's been doing magnet mixing for a while, now. The V-Mod set mixes AlNiCo 2 and 5 in a single pickup. The idea is to soften the tone of the 3 high strings and tighten the tone of the 3 low strings. The Vintage "modified" Tele bridge pickup in this specific model uses AlNiCo 2 and 3 and my guess is that the purpose is the same.

The basic feature set of the Baja 50s was a winning combination that sold well for years. I'd sure like to know who actually asked for this change. Who asked Fender to change the tone of the bridge pickup? And "hot-wound"? Who wanted the pickup to have a lower resonant peak so it's probably darker sounding.

awasson likes this.
  17. Butch Snyder

Yep, Seymour Duncan's been doing that since the mid nineties. The Nashville Studio pickups have Alnico 5 on the three low strings and Alnico 2 on the three high strings. Duncan renamed that model "5-2". Hmmm, renaming pickups and guitars?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  18. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

The Vintera 50's Modified is showing a soft-V neck and medium-jumbo frets, as well as a 4 way switch and S1.

It looks like the Baja with surf green and daphne blue in alder, butterscotch in ash.

My guess is in a dark room, you would not be able to distinguish a difference between Vintera 50's Modified and a Baja.

I don't like the new colors. If there were a candy apple red or midnight wine, OMG I would have my Baja up for sale now and be pulling out the credit card.

So, I guess my new favorite to look at is only the CAR American Professional. Sigh. It's not worth the upgrade from my Baja - it is only "a little bit" nicer (maybe) than my 2013 Baja, and almost twice the price. Sure, it may be a bit better quality, but what does that really mean to a bedroom player? I will continue with what I have.

19. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Other than the different color options and $175-$225 bump in MSRP, the Vintera 50's Modified appears to be identical to the Baja.

In general I think Fender's done a great job revamping their different lines -- in most cases the price bumps are supported by upgraded designs and components. Unfortunately that is clearly not the case with the Baja --> Vintera 50s Modified. In a vacuum, I think the Baja is probably equivalent in value to a $1000 guitar, but a large part of the Baja appeal was that it was a stupid good value at the $600-$750 street/used prices you could typically get.

On a more positive note, I was pleased to see that many of the new Vintera models have vintage 7.25" radius necks. That's not my particular preference, but I'm glad they still offer models with that option. It's still somewhat odd to me that the American Original Tele, which is supposed to be the high end vintage model, only comes with a 9.5" radius neck.

hotrodkid likes this.
  20. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That’s an interesting point. It seemed about this time last year, there were very few affordable Fenders with a 7.25” radius neck but the Vintera lineup is loaded with them. I lean towards the other end with flatter fretboards but I’ve seen loads of posts lamenting the lack of 7.25” radius boards. It I were interested in those vintage specs, I’d be all over a Vintera 50’s Strat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.