Baja officially discontinued

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by petemoss41, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I really wanted one of the Epi or Gibson Melody Makers. The D oval neck forces me to spread out my thumb causing Carpel Tunnel problems; where as a V allows the hand to assume a relaxed position and a U gives a variable anchor for the thumb held normally.

Bruxist likes this.
  2. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I feel you. I have issues in my right thumb joint that have worsened with aga, which is why I replaced the stock neck on my 88 strat with the 70's classic neck.

Shame though, the original has the most beautiful rosewood fretboard and a great satin finish. But I can't play it for more than 20 minutes without pain, so it has to go.

Keeping it though, maybe one my kids can play it with that neck after I am gone.

Teleterr likes this.
  3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

For UK readers I noticed that there are few still around, but in the pink or light blue (60s) versions. Guitar Village is one place and I saw a Butterscotch one in Dawsons too.

Funny it was only last week I had a play of a friend's Baja to get a feel for what a thicker neck (compared to my Classic 50s) felt like.

4. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I think that's the same neck on my triple caster, I'm not a big fan of that neck.

5. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

They kinda/sorta already did...the Classic Lacquer teles and strats. I say kinda/sorta as my understanding is that for the most part a 50s type actual nitro finish is virtually impossible to produce in a factory due to most state's, particularly California, have environmental laws prohibiting some of chemicals used in the original nitro finishes.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Classic-50s-Telecaster-Lacquer-Electric-Guitar.gc

6. Jorgen83

Jorgen83 TDPRI Member

How come?

7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Having tried my friend's Butterscotch Baja and now received my '51 neck I would say that they aren't identical: The '51 is thicker and the frets are lower too.

8. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

They had one in Faded Sonic at the local guitar shop when I was in last week. They also had a CP60’s Strat in Sonic Blue too. It must be old stock they want to blow out. I’ve never seen a CP60’s Strat at any of my local shops for some reason. I’ve never seen a Baja for sale locally on CL either.

I may have to pick up the Baja if they still have it in stock.

9. Jorgen83

Jorgen83 TDPRI Member

Frets on the 51 are 6105’s which is one of the tallest fret wires I believe.

10. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

There has to be some country where it is still legal to use the old stuff. Somalia or somewhere

Greggorios likes this.
  11. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

You can thank he who will remain nameless ...and the 25% tariffs on MIC goods for Fender moving CV production to their Indonesia plant.

rider7, Bruxist and DougM like this.
  12. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Clint Eastwood has stopped the Baja?

Bit of a hypocrite: those spaghetti westerns made him a major star
    the-man-with-no-name.jpg

Mad Kiwi, Bruxist and Jorgen83 like this.
  13. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

I know that some of the small builders use nitro finishes much closer to the original recipe but I don't think the small, hand build builders here are subject to the same rules as a bigger operation.

14. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

maybe they'll put the truss rod adjustment in a reasonable place this time. that was my dealbreaker.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  15. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

Wasn’t me that said that date.

16. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

That S1 is an inconvenience in a live playing situation. You go for the neck pickup and wind up with the neck and bridge combination. By the time you get it set, a measure or two have gone by.

Greggorios likes this.
  17. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Who wants a guitar where you have to take it apart to make an adjustment to the truss rod. I call "Emperor's new clothes" on the lot of 'em.

hellopike and Greggorios like this.
  18. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Until Gibson gets involved!

hellopike and Greggorios like this.
  19. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Huge corporations don't exist to satisfy your needs ... They care about money ... They can produce the most perfect object ever ... If it doesn't sell ... It's gone ...​

Skydog1010 and Greggorios like this.
  20. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

So the specs say, but all I know is that they feel pretty low to me: It was one of my concerns and I was planning on getting the frets dressed down (had it done to a Les Paul that had tall frets). I don't feel like I'd need to do this with this neck and that's coming from someone with 'vintage' frets on all my other Fenders.

Maybe it'll feel different once I get some strings on it, but I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't feel as tall as my friend's Baja frets.

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.