Baja officially discontinued

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by petemoss41, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

Here is mine. No, you can't have it. :p

Better start looking now if you want one. The 60s were introduced in 2014 I think and stopped with the rosewood in the summer of 2017 I think. I looked hard for a 2014-16 and only found 2 I would buy. I got this one pretty cheap for the great condition it was in.

IMGP0056.JPG

2. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Meister

Glad I bought mine a long time ago. Another reason to keep it. I always wished the finish was less cheesy and less thick and less plastic-y. I also never cared for the S1 thing, neither the 4-way. I re-wired the entire control plate with new components and turned my Baja into a simple normal Tele.

The neck could be less glossy. The color on the Butterscotch one could be more convincing. The pickguard could be better. The input jack could be better.

I've improved all I could except finish. I'm not messing with that super thick layer of colorized molten condom.

But I do love this guitar.

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  3. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Same. Bought a Baja neck to put on my CVC (mine even had Keystones for a bit!)

Wish they would sell Baja necks (and JV necks) on the Fender website.

4. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If you ever change your mind let me know.:)
    Don't go Sweetwater and don't check out the exclusive sonic blue Am Pro Strat either. lol

Ivorytooth likes this.
  5. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Well noted, especially quizzical when retail guitar sales are way off...discontinue something that is selling relatively well. The logic of FMIC??? I really wanted one, will have to wait till secondary market cools down.

Greggorios and Milspec like this.
  6. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

I got a 2017 about a year ago. Looks just like yours but pau ferro. Glad I did. I like having discontinued stuff, particularly when it’s excellent.

Greggorios likes this.
  7. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

The Baja model was a winner for sure. I think they need new models to create interest. Just my guess on the marketing,

Greggorios and Skydog1010 like this.
  8. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

I was looking at a new Baja 50's a few months ago but went with a blonde Road Worn instead. Wonder if the RW is next?

9. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Man, if they had ever released a nitro Baja, they would have been printing money.

Bones, Dan R, rsmc and 5 others like this.
  10. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

I hope they reintroduce it with improvements, I played one and was not particularly happy with the body finish it was too thick... but the neck profile and the pickups with 4way switch OMG!

A baja without S1 switch plus laquer finish and the same set of pickups will be like an slightly modern 52RI, maybe too close of what its now the American Original 50's but mexican.

GuitarKid and Skydog1010 like this.
  11. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

It seems that the S1 isn t that big of a selling point, from posts it's split 50/50 like/dislike. I don't use it much myself, but I don't use a tone control much either. I m surprised the 4 way isn 't an 100% winner since you get more and lose nothing.

GuitarKid likes this.
  12. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That was on me - typoed "2016" to "2916"; went back and changed it but after Butch Snyder quoted me.:oops::oops::oops:

13. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Would be nice, but who would spend more for an AO 50's then.

Jorgen83 and Bruxist like this.
  14. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Yup, gotta keep changing, rebranding... play specs roulette every few years, pretend it's something new so that the shoppers can shop. Just what we need -- a redistribution of Tele features. Fender is such a drag.

15. petemoss41

petemoss41 TDPRI Member

Just wait, they are gonna call it the Vinterra or something

spunkster likes this.
  16. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Yep, looks like it's the "Vintera" Series.
    https://www.gearnews.com/leak-fender-vintera-series-new-models-leaked-online/

17. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

Not a fan of the series name — seems fussy. Something like “Retro” or “Traditional” or “Historic” or “Archive” would have been a nice replacement for “Classic” IMO.

That said, I’m looking forward to seeing the different models and colors regardless of the name.

18. Jorgen83

Jorgen83 TDPRI Member

Check out the 51 Fat U neck Fender has put out recently. I got one for my Partscaster and I’m reading lots of comments it’s Baja like.

Bruxist likes this.
  19. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

? The V and U contours are very different in how you use your hand and wrist. Thickness wise they re closer than say a Modern C, but the shape is a more important factor than the thickness in this case IME.

Bruxist likes this.
  20. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

My baja neck is not terribly "v'ed" (also not as thick as the one at my local GC).

The U shape on my Classic 70's strat neck might be my favourite carve. Or tied with the baja.

I thought I was a "the thicker the better" kinda guy but my Epi SG has a real baseball bat and is a bit much for me.

Jorgen83 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.