Baja officially discontinued

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by petemoss41, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

Yep, I think you're correct.

2. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Cant comment at fender prices, i have started playing Fender in 2017. Althought i Have had schecter hellraiser C series. It used to cost 650 USD, now its 800 USD after 5 years

3. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Still quite a few available on line here. Possibility of grabbing a ‘discontinued’ bargain d’you reckon. Probably not, here they’re more likely to use limited stock to hike the price!

4. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Meister

Are we talking Baja or Classic Player Baja? I am bewildered by the proliferation of Fender models.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

They're the same thing. The Baja 50s and Baja 60s are/were both part of the Classic Player line, although they're hardly ever promoted as such. I was going to provide a link to the Classic Player series of Teles on Fender.com, but the series and the Baja are gone from their site.

The entire Classic Player line is gone from fender.com. Teles, Strats, etc. Not there.

6. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

I'm glad I've got my Desert Sand Baja. I bought it used a long time ago and love it!

There has to be lots around as they've been making them for quite a while. Guitars are built faster than the population increases so they have to go after repeat buyers, and that's us. I really don't know how some companies stay in business. The technology companies have the correct model - keep making things with new technology that makes the old tech obsolete and, ultimately, not backward compatible. And do it quickly. How different is my Baja from guitars made years before? Not different enough that I can't enjoy my vintage guitar, possibly even more than the new one. Ah, well...

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 Yup, me too. As long as I can find one of those necks someday, I'm not going to worry too much. The marketing concept of ending this successful line is way over my head, but I suspect as others mentioned, the new model will just cost more. I see a partscaster off in the distance of my future.

petemoss41 likes this.
  8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

As mentioned in another post , the Jimmy Vaughn Strat necks are the same except for the headstocks. There's almost always a Baja neck on eBay. Might rise above the sub $300 price soon tho.

9. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

2916 ?? You are way ahead of me.

10. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I knew this would happen, I'm just surprised Fender took so long to realize that they could get a lot more cash for that neck/pickup configuration. I would not be the least bit surprised to see the replacement cost twice as much, or more.

11. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

What pickups did you put in?

12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

It's like the Player Series - they'll do a couple of minor upgrades, give them a new name, and sell'em for $200 more.

Greggorios likes this.
  13. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

Glad I got my Baja 60s before the news broke. Mine is a like new 2016 though. Had to have the rosewood. Those pickups are great on that model. It is a lot of guitar!

joe_cpwe and Greggorios like this.
  14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

How can I live in a world where the AV and Baja lines are discontinued?

Half the threads on here tell people to buy a Baja

I think Fender made a mistake abandoning the name. Volkswagen will never stop making the Golf variant, they just make it different to get new buyers

I myself would recognise the volume of praise on the internet about the Baja and still keep something called that. In my world, what you do with a solid brand is trash it by cutting quality and milk every penny, not bin it

15. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Inflation calculator says 399$ in 1997 = 609$ in 2017 and plenty of factors can explain the difference from 609 to 799.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

16. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

I am guessing we will see an updated Made-in-Mexico, vintage-inspired series as a sort of a mix between the Classic and Classic Player series models — 50s/60s/70s models but with the 9.5” radius (that now seems to be pretty standard for most of the newer Fender updates), and maybe one other feature that varies by model.

I don’t think we’ll see a massive bump in pricing on these. They’ll need to sit somewhere between the Player series ($675) and the American Performer series ($1100). I think $850–900 is a pretty safe bet.

Fender has been announcing their series refreshes several weeks ahead of the NAMM show the past couple years, so I would expect to see news about the new guitars to come here in the next two or three weeks.

Greggorios and RYAN1987M like this.
  17. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I got the Klein 52 set, with a nickel silver cover on the neck. The set is musical, and fits nicely between a strat and a Les Paul as far as output goes.

18. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic

I had one and surprisingly the big soft V didn't jive for me and I hated that S1 thing and the 4 position switch. But I'm in the minority...those things get a lot of love.

19. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

Maybe they bump it up to a USA made model with some slightly different features?

20. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic

I want one some day for the same reason plus I the faded sonic blue...I love sonic blue.

Ivorytooth likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.