Baja-ish neck from Warmoth?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Volktar, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

For sure - never know till it's in the mitts, but for $77 shipped, I just might.

2. Guitar MD

Guitar MD TDPRI Member

Still would recommend a Warmoth boatneck regardless, as I think it’s a super comfortable neck. To call the profile chunky seems off base to me as chunky comes in in the shoulder. I have long fingers and tend to like smaller nut width and deeper profiles.

For reference, I’ve owned (and subsequently offloaded) Allparts chunky and Warmoth fatback necks. After buying a maple boatneck neck for my Tele, I fell in love with the profile and went on to order one for my Strat.

You really should try to get your hands on a Warmoth boatneck somehow. Calling all Warmoth owners! I know the trial and error routine only too well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

The boats an actual hard V, only vaguely like a Baja. Bajas come up on eBay , usually 250- 300 $.

4. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Personally I don't like a vee. I have had a Warmoth Boatneck and the pad of my thumb started hurting after playing it for a long-ish time. I like fat necks though and if I was going to get a Warmoth I would get a Fatback.

5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

The Baja contour spreads my thumb open more than the Boat . W the Boat my hand is totally relaxed. Neither bothers my Carpel tunnel.
    Bajas vary. My '14 is like a slightly bigger standard soft V. My '07 is much bigger. Both have roundness half way between the back and the fretboard I m considering sanding off to make more V ish. This slight variance from the true V is enough to hold my hand open; w the Boat that doesn't t happen.

6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

BTW the Jimmy Vaughn Strat neck s about the same contour as a Baja.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  7. Guitar MD

Guitar MD TDPRI Member

Naturally, a Fender Baja neck is a great solution for someone looking for a Baja neck, but the post started trying to find out if there was a Warmoth neck profile that came close to a Baja Tele. Based on the latest post here, I sense that cost is a consideration?

Yes, could have asked for recommendations for cheaper alternatives to a Fender Baja neck but asked about Warmoth.
    Apparently, a couple from Warmoth (~$175) may come close for some, but none are a match. Done?

Next, perhaps good time for a new post w the Reverb link asking if anyone has bought one of these $70 necks, and, if so, how close they come to a Fender Baja neck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

I own a Baja, have a tele build using a Warmoth boatneck, and now have another tele build on the way using an allparts TMO-FAT chunky neck.

They are all different, but nice to the touch:

Baja has the softest V shape, approx. 0.92" at 1st fret to 1" at the 12th fret.

Allparts chunky: rounded C shape, 0.97" at 1st fret to 1" at the 12th fret.

Warmoth Boatneck: rounded V shape, 1" from 1st to 12th fret.

For the record, I have 2 strats that have the boatneck profile. The less-rounded shoulder shape helps with the thickness on the necks, compared to my #1 strat which uses the Fatback profile. That fatback neck makes anybody who picks it up go "WHOA".

One thing though, the Warmoth website states that the boatneck is suimilar to a vintage '52 tele reissue neck profile. I've played at least 3-4 '52 AVRIs and none of them have that neck profile. If anything, they have what most would call a 'medium C' profile.

Teleterr likes this.
  9. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

Yes and no. While getting a similar product cheaper is always a great way to go - cost really isn't the issue here.
    The thought process is that if I am gonna drop 300 for a baja neck, I could spend that same 300 at warmoth and get it EXACTLY how I want it and not get stuck with another maple bat. Maple is great, I just like dark woods better.

10. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

Have you considered a roasted maple boatneck? That's what I have on order. No finish required, and it's roughly half way between maple and rosewood in color.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.