Baja-ish neck from Warmoth?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Volktar, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

Ok, so I love the baja neck and have been wanting to put one on my mahogany thinline. Looking around, it seems that they tend to run about $200 with no tuning machines, or closer to 300 with.

For that chunk of cheddar, I can get something that closer represents what I really want. I'm looking into warmoth and thinking about a mahogany neck with a dark fretboard (RW/Zircote/Ebony). For that same $300, I can have it match my tastes. For what it's worth, I LOVE the look of my mahogany Guild acoustic, and it was what really has me wanting to replicate that look on my tele.

What neck profile from Warmoth do yall think will be the closest to the 50s Baja? I'm leaning towards boatneck, but wanted to bounce it off yall!

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/BackContours.aspx

And because no thread is complete without photos, here's my gorgeous Guild (hanging next to the '49 Kay. Now THAT is a neck!) 20190425_135948.jpg 20190530_103841.jpg

2. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

The Clapton looks fairly close, the Boatneck if you like a little chunkier.

3. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

Hmmm, Clapton is really just a slim shape with a little extra V to it. I felt like the baja had a lot more girth. Maybe I'm wrong...

4. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Hard to say which is really closer. If you like chunky, go boatneck!! "1" at the first is a bit much for my taste. My Baja comes in around 0.875 at the first.

5. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

My first thought is Warmoth Boatneck. I really don't think it's that big AT ALL. I know what the measurements are, but the soft V makes it feel so much smaller than that. It feels almost identical to my Japan 52 reissue soft V neck. I also have a Warmoth Fatback, which I love. That feels a good deal bigger, even though the measurements are the same (both 1" - 1" nominal).

I've played a Baja 50's neck, and I would be really surprised if the Warmoth Boatneck felt much bigger to you.

6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

What was the question? :oops:

Sorry...you can't just put a picture of an archtop like that Kay in there and then talk about tele necks...that's like putting a pinup girl in the picture and then referencing something across the room. Heck, it even has a girl's NAME! :p

I love my 50's Baja neck. Have it on a partscaster I built. I would ask a few of the good folks here to measure theirs to get a consensus...or if you have access to one and have some calipers, measure one yourself...and go from there. I seem to recall folks saying the Boatneck was pretty close to it.

drlucky likes this.
  7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The way everyone talks about those Baja's I'd have thought it was a lot fatter. I have quite a few in that range. I consider that slightly above average.

8. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

The Baja is one of the best necks Fender has produced. I hate the so-called " vintage "
    phat necks that i have never seen on a true Fullerton model. :cool:

drlucky likes this.
  9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Just wanted to say that I had a Clapton profile Warmoth neck for a hot second, and hated it. Never played a Baja, but the Clapton is more "hard V" than anything I can remember playing. The Boatneck is most likely the closest, and you could always sand it a little bit (not advising that, of course).

10. Guitar MD

Guitar MD TDPRI Member

Go boatneck. You won’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

I like the Baja neck - i've bought a couple from Stratosphere. Very happy with them.

drlucky likes this.
  12. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

Haha, you like that? Threw that in there for the giggles!

13. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

I dig them too, and am tempted to just buy one of those, but I'm kinda thinking that if I'm gonna drop nearly 300 for a neck, it might as well be EXACTLY what I want (hog with a dark board instead of solid maple)

14. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

See... that's what I was thinking too. I emailed warmoth for their input. I sighted my 2 favorite necks that I have ever put my hands on - the baja and the set neck off my 06 Schecter C1+. God I love that neck. Wish I could put it on EVERY guitar.

They replied that I should check out the 59 roundback - but then also admitted he was not familiar with either neck I mentioned - so it was really no help at all...

srolfeca likes this.
  15. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have a boatneck and a '59 roundback. I really like the '59 roundback. The boatneck was a bit too fat for me, at least on the upper frets-- no taper at all.
    I had a luthier friend of mine sand it and contour just a little bit to give it a little taper up towards the higher frets and I liked it much better. I also then had
    to refinish and I used Tru-Oil, which came out great. I haven't tried a Baja neck but I can't imagine it being as big as the boatneck. I bet a '59 roundback
    is probably closer than the boatneck would be. I'm sure Warmoth can give you some actual measurements at various fret locations on a couple of their models, and then you can
    compare them to actual measurements on a Baja neck.

srolfeca and Volktar like this.
  16. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I do think the '59 roundback would be nice, but I don't think it would feel nearly as substantial as a Baja 50's.

17. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've had an Allparts fat neck in my cart forever. I'd been hesitant to buy but if it's too fat I can take it down.

To compare it to something similar I own I thought of the biggest neck guitar I have, an old Yamaha FG160. I love the way that acoustic feels/plays. I took my calipers to it... 1" at the first fret & probably the same fret wire or close. So I finally bought the neck.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

The Fender Clapton necks I have played are WAY smaller than the Bajas I have played.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  19. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

20. Guitar MD

Guitar MD TDPRI Member

Looks like? Think you’d do best to get it on your hand. Neck depth is only part of the story. C profile tends to cover a lot of ground based on my experience.

Still, for $77, worth a shot to try it out. Nice dark rosewood board. Find someone w a Warmoth equipped Tele to play; in the end, best to try one or make friends with someone who has a CNC machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.