1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Baja bridge recommendations

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Graydon M, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Graydon M

Graydon M TDPRI Member

Hi Guys,

I am looking for bridge recommendations for a Fender partscaster build.

I have acquired a 2009 FSR Baja Telecaster body – in Lake Placid Blue.
    This is minus most of the hardware. I am planning to create a guitar in the Baja image but not an exact replica. However I do need a workable bridge to start off. Have any of you guys successfully fitted a replacement bridge to a Baja?

I believe the stock bridge was a Fender AVRI '52 Telecaster? I’m not sure if these are still available. I have been wanting to try a Callaham/Glendale bridge for a while but while they are quality, this maybe overkill. I have also read that the Callaham maybe too low – as the Baja are usually set with a higher action, and also these bridges may kill a little twangy tone.

In short, I am looking for something that will fit – without modification – and will be as good , if not better, than the original bridge. No particular budget restrictions – this guitar will be a keeper so I am not worried about any resale value.

BTW I am not an experienced builder - previously just modded my guitars. This is an ambitious lock-down project for me.

All discussions welcome, including mixing/matching base plates and saddles etc.
    TIA

Baja Body.jpg Baja bridge fixing holes.jpg

2. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

I think any vintage style will fit as long as it has 4 mounting holes. That said I really like the Gotoh Intune bridges, they're really well made and have compensated saddles via notches in them.
    They do a few different models, eg with cut down sides, (or no sides at all)
    I have a Gotoh bridge in my partscaster, I also have a Baja which is standard... They both feel similar despite the different bridges

3. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

save some cash and get a good old fashion fender 3 saddle bridge

4. Graydon M

Graydon M TDPRI Member

Yes , you are right I could go for the traditional Fender 3 saddle bridge or just get a Fender plate and try some Rutters saddles. Some folks have had success with that. I'm undecided at the moment.

WingedWords likes this.
  5. Graydon M

Graydon M TDPRI Member

Thanks, I have used Gotoh hardware before and been very pleased. I wanted to stick with the vintage vibe and maybe look for someone selling a OEM Baja bridge or go with a Fender plate with A.N.Other compensated saddles.

WingedWords likes this.
  6. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Just get the standard vintage Fender bridge, sand it flat, and invest in a set of Rutgers compensated saddles.
    You’re welcome!

WingedWords likes this.
  7. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Saddle it with whatever GFS has in stock that fits.

8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

^This.

9. Graydon M

Graydon M TDPRI Member

Thanks, That is a solution that I am leaning towards.

WingedWords likes this.
  10. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

11. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Philadelphia Luthiers’ saddles are nice, and come with standard American sized 6/32 screws for both intonation and saddle height adjustment. They offer bridgeplates that look nice, or the saddles can be used with bridgeplates you can find many other places that are Fender or other manufacturers’ vintage spec and inexpensive.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/telecaster-bridges/

D01C7037-8543-432A-A2AB-94367674C233.jpeg

12. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Talk to @Kmaxbrady on here. He knows a ton about these bridge plates and sells Fender plates that are already sanded flat/true (and polished smooth). He also makes compensated "fat" saddles that are incredibly comfortable to play if you like to rest your palm on the bridge. They are top quality and quite reasonably priced.

13. Graydon M

Graydon M TDPRI Member

14. Graydon M

Graydon M TDPRI Member

Thanks for that. I am also finding the some small U.S. manufacturers are being "put off" exporting to UK due to expensive customs changes. Niot sure what is happening there, but I want to get to the bottom of it as I deal with a lot of US folks.

15. Graydon M

Graydon M TDPRI Member

Many thanks, that is a name I had not heard of, and will definitely look them up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.