Baja - Back To Basics?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by overlock, Mar 22, 2016.

Would you change your Baja to standard Tele switching?

1. Yes - I like my Telecasters the way the good Leo intended.

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. No - I love all that new-fangled switchery

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  3. I am conflicted

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Meh - don't give a rat's whatsit

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. overlock

overlock Tele-Afflicted

I've had my Baja for a while now, and I've decided I don't care for the fancy switching. I never use the S1 at all, and the 4-way pickup selector is a bit rubbish. In positions 1 and 4, it lies so far down against the control plate that it pushes the switch tip off. Which I find weird, because I put a 4-way in my Highway One and it has no such problems.

Anyway, I've ordered the parts I need to make up a bog-standard tele control plate, and the current one will stay intact in my parts drawer in case I ever change my mind. I'll probably flip the plate, Kirchen-style, just for the craic.

So I'm just curious to know where the weight of TDPRI opinion lies on this matter: is the S1 and 4-way more hassle than it's worth, or do you like having the extra options?

2. robinn

robinn TDPRI Member

For me, I don't care about S1/4-way wiring. I myself would make it into an esquire with some kind of eldred mod, those broadcaster style PU's are great ;-)

Btw: if you're talking about the wiring that Leo intended, you're talking about true vintage style-wiring, which is according to this source (https://www.lollarguitars.com/blog/2014/03/tele-wiring-battle-royale/):
    Position #1 (switch to right): Bridge pickup w/tone control
    Position #2 (switch in middle): Neck pickup w/ tone control
    Position #3 (switch to left): Neck pickup with no tone control and treble rolled off (pre-set bassy position).

You're probably talking about 'modern' wiring: bridge, both in parallel, neck (all w/ tone control).

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I went through a couple of iterations but settled on this and could not be happier. Been like this for months.

- Flipped the plate so the volume control is near my pinky and the switch does not get knocked when strumming.

- Dumped the S1 switch and rat's nest of wires. Put in a new pot, wired vintage to tone.

- Made the 4 way switch order: Bridge > Both Parallel > Both Series > Neck - so that the extremes of the throw are standard tele. (I kept having to hunt the neck alone otherwise - now it's just at the end so quick change is easy mid song). I did try a 3 way but missed the series option after a week.

Very, very functional now. Should be stock like this IMHO.

[​IMG]

4. overlock

overlock Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, they could shave a few dollars off the production cost by ditching that S1.

I've been wondering, too, if there's any good reason for having such a wide gap between the volume and tone knobs when it leaves the switch jammed up so tight against the volume (tone, I presume, in your case). Seems to me that space could be more judiciously allocated. Maybe a custom plate would be in order.

5. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Ordered a new control plate from Rock Rabbit for this very reason.

6. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

I too found the 4-way and S1 finicky so I took a different approach. I turned my Baja into an Esquire and wired it up:

POS1 - straight to PU
    POS2 - Vol only
    POS3 - Vol Tone

She is a real screamer in POS1, very raw. The PU is a Lollar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DW

7. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I much prefer the Baja wiring to a standard 3 way. Love the half out of phase parallel sound. Love the full series sound.

8. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Totally agree with all of this! My only addition is to lose the lips on the vintage bridge plate. Then it's perfect.

9. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

I have done the same as Guitarteach, but added a push-push for the phase (replaces the S1) and it has been my number one for quite a while.

martin82 likes this.
  10. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

My Baja gets a lot of work. I have assumed the push/push pot is a weak link- but it hasn't caused any problems yet. When/if it does, I will replace it with a standard pot- and a 3-way switch.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  11. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I've had my Baja 4 years. I use the S1 all the time. It has never caused me any problems. I love having the extra options.

songtalk likes this.
  12. swingtime

swingtime Tele-Meister

I replaced the stock pickups on my desert sand Baja with Bardens. I like the second position with the S1 engaged Don't care for the 4th position. Volume pot sucks. S1: noisy. For the rest: absolutely a killer guitar.

13. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

swingtime: I didn't know that S1s were noisy. How does that manifest itself?

14. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Noise.

;)

15. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I'm one of the conflicted - every now & then I find a gnarly distorted sound that sounds thicker with the out of phase setting, for some reason. Clean out of phase doesn't do much for me, especially since I got a Strat. I had mistakenly assumed out of phase & "quack" were the same sound.

And I have found that I do not like that the neck pickup is not at the end of the switch's throw, which wasn't a big deal until I got the Strat.

Makes me wonder about a 5-way switch & ditching the tone pot switch? I might if anything needs replacement. Not something I'd be motivated to do otherwise.

16. swingtime

swingtime Tele-Meister

Noisy as in: the switch makes a clicking sound when used....

17. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You folks are undoing your Baja's while I'm modding mine closer toward a Baja!
    The 4-way switch for series humbucker tone is on the soon-to-do list.

(rescued Affinity Tele with Baja pickups, treble bleed, and greasebucket)
    +1 on the reverse control plate trend.

Attached Files:

18. PenCapChew

PenCapChew TDPRI Member

Hmm... That's not a bad idea. I've been thinking of doing away with the s-1 switch in my Baja as well and I might give this a try.

19. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wouldn't remove the S1 switching unless it failed, and probably not even then. You can always just ignore it if you don't use the extra sounds.

20. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Holic

I just finished wiring my Baja tonight thanks to dsutton24. This Baja was made with parts I had been acquiring over a period of time; '50s classic series neck with vintage tuners, '60s classic series body, wilkinson bridge, twisted tele neck pickup, and Seymore Duncan Antiquity bridge pickup. Since I had no Baja electronics and controls, I wired it with stuff from the parts bin. Went with the 4-way switch, treble bleed, and skipped the S1 idea. I like it a lot, but wouldn't mind using a Rutters 3/8" over control plate though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2016
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.