1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

baja 60s rosewood board tele neck size ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fender4life, Mar 5, 2021.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Anyone know how thick it is? Measurements would be great but if not, hows the size compared to the classic 60s? (different radius, i know)

2. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've got a 2014 Baja 60's RW neck and it measures 0.88" at the 12th fret. It's very thin.

3. fender4life

Damn, thats almost the same as my CV strat, .087. The difference is negligible. Gotta have more shoulder or we'd hear as many complaints about them as we do with squier CVs.

posttoastie likes this.
  4. Minivan Megafun

Yep. The 60's Baja is very slim and has basically no taper from the nut to the heel. My American Original 60's Tele is 0.98" at the 12th fret. Even my American Standard is thicker than the Baja at 0.894".

5. fender4life

Well, at least the 1st fret is good if you mean that literally. I'm tempted to buy a AO neck but at $700 for a neck it's hard to pull the trigger.

6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I had one and did not think it was very slim. My impression is that the neck profile of the Baja 60s is exactly the same as that of the Classic 60s… the "60s C". Round and, I'd say, middling size: smaller than an AV52, but bigger than a "modern C".

7. Minivan Megafun

The calipers don't lie. Mine is slimmer than the American Standard which is modern C.

8. fender4life

Like i said, i think the shoulder is the reason. My CV strats neck feels crazy thin but my MIM classic 60s neck measured very close yet felt thicker due to the fact the CV has very little shoulder. My 50s LP special's neck feels huge to the point i almost didn't buy it because i have a hard time with really huge necks. Yet when i measured it i was shocked to find it was almost the same size at the 1st fret as my 69 TL tele which feels thin by comparison. But the LP has a ton of shoulder, probably considered a D neck and the tele is a soft V. The LP's 12th fret depth IS big, but the 1st feels way bigger than it is because of the shoulder. So i think thats part of whats going on here.

9. Minivan Megafun

Dunno. I know my AO60's has a lot more thickness and shoulder and it makes for a nice chunky feel as you move up the neck. The 60's Baja is the opposite. I've been thinking of either getting another neck or selling the entire guitar for that reason. My hand starts to cramp after playing for an extended period (20 minutes or more). I've toyed with the idea of buying an AO60's neck for that guitar but as you mentioned the price tag is not cheap.

10. fender4life

Guy who;'s selling it says 12th is .925 and 1st is .867. Does that seem possible given how thin i'm hearing they are? Thats actually a hair fatter at the 12th than my TL tele thats considered medium by most people when i asked. And the first would be just a hair smaller than my TL. Can they vary that much?

11. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

Yes, it's possible. I'm not surprised if it's slightly thicker than most 60s Baja neck we've had. Fender necks vary a lot in a model.
    My two 50s Baja necks, which were 4 years apart, were radically different in width and shape. One was soft U or ultra soft V shaped, another was typical soft V and about 1mm narrower from nut to butt than the other. The treatment of the fretboard edges were different as well.
    My 60s Baja neck was noticeably thinner than my 50s Baja, but I don't think it was as thin as Minivan's. Mine might have had a tad meatier shoulders than typical 60s C, but I definitely wouldn't call it a fat 60s C neck. Those who hate the fat 50s Baja necks seem to love it.
    Why don't you just ask the seller to make sure the measurements are indeed accurate?

12. fender4life

I did and he said they are.

13. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Well, there such a thing as spec tolerance and variation from one neck to the other. Per specs (I could fish that but can't right now) the "60s C" is rounder than the "modern C". I also had my Baja 60s for a few years, side-by-side with a Modern C tele and I am positive: the Baja 60s had a rounder neck.

14. fender4life

Well, I bought the neck and one of the reasons i wanted it is i LOVE light teles and there was a new classic 60s oly white (fav color) body on reverb that was an almost unheard of 3.5 Lbs ! So i got that and the neck. I have been wanting a classic 60s tele since i made the mistake of selling mine about 6-7 years ago and have not been able to find one in oly white easily. Plus while i like 7.25 radius on maple, i don't like it so much on rosewood and the baja fixes that. Rosewood board vintage 60s style teles are my fav fender sound, so if all goes well i could have what may be my fav tele ever. I have a lot of parts for it already including pickups so i won't need to buy a lot of parts. Basically neck and control plates and a mint guard. It will get a set of PV 64s. I already have my fav maple neck tele to date, a MIM 69 Thinline tele in CAR on ash, so i won't be in need of any more teles assuming this one comes out good.

By the way, anyone know of an ebay seller which cheap mint guards that are the right color and not that florescent green junk some sell? I've bought lots of those $10 chinese ones and they've been great except the mint which looked ridiculous. So if anyone knows of a seller, china or otherwise with cheap mint guards that look like fenders mint or close enough, link me up please.

15. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I have a 2015 Baja '60s, measures 0.88" at the 12th fret. I guess it's all relative. I feel like it's on the fatter side, being used to a '57 RI Strat I've had for 30 years that measures 0.81" at the 12th.

16. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

WDMusic.com

17. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

The Parchment looks like a light Mint green from this company. They do also sell mint green that is greener. I used a 3 ply Parchment on an Artic White Strat and it looks light mint,
    https://stratosphereparts.com/
    this looks like the Parchment on white using this companies pickguard.

This is a pic of Jimi Hendrix's 63 , he did not like the pickguard
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  18. fender4life

:eek::eek::eek:

heffus, E5RSY and Fretting out like this.
  19. Mxrk

Mxrk Tele-Meister

Same. Fuller than the Modern Cs I’ve held and fuller than the one Deep C I have. But with the action set right it still feels pretty slim, especially compared to the 50s Baja. Night and day.

RadioFM74 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.