Baffle board cut-out

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by ezas, Aug 13, 2013.

1. ezas

ezas TDPRI Member

I want to build a speaker cabinet, it will be my first one. I want to build it using only hand tools.

I have figured out most of the issues in my head, but the one I'm stuck on is how to do the cut out for the speaker in the baffle. For no good reason, just some kind of gut thing, I want to use a flexible baffle. It's only a single 10" cutout so not as bad as a twin design, etc.

I remember learning to use something like this in Wood Shop (a long, long time ago) Is this the answer? I can't imagine that it takes a very aggressive blade.

Ideas?

2. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

That's called a "coping saw" because it's used to cut coped joints in molding. It's also the only hand tool that will cut curves in plywood. You'll have to make sure the saw has enough depth that it doesn't run into the outside edge of the baffle board. You might need to turn the blade 90 degrees and cut sideways.

Myself, I'd use a router.

3. Casey4s

Casey4s Tele-Meister

I use a router or a jig saw. The coping saw is doing it the hard way, it's doable but as Rich said you might have issues with cut depth.

Remember that the hole is smaller than 10", or else your speaker will fall through.

Good luck.

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I use a jigsaw sometimes.... put a screw/nail in the center of the ply... get some wire and loop it around the screw... hook the other end in the footplate of the jigsaw at the right length for the circle radius at the blade.... and cut around in a circle.... :)

5. ezas

ezas TDPRI Member

1st - a big apology for not getting back to this thread sooner. I forgot I made this post and/or expected to get an email notification for replies.

I see a problem. The cabinet is going to be big for a 10" cabinet. I'm basing the dimensions on a 10" cabinet that I liked the sound of and it's roughly 17" x 17". The corners will the a long reach

I should have been clearer I think. When I said hand tools I meant no power tools which would preclude a router/jig saw, etc.

Maybe I'll switch to a pine baffle and use a keyhole saw. Pine will be a lot easier to hack at than thin ply. It will be a lot of work but I'm Ok with that.

6. DocSlop

DocSlop TDPRI Member

I've made a baffle out of clear pine, braced like a piano soundboard. I don't know why plywood is viewed as mandatory. Plywood is merely cheap, in my opinion, and hobby builders like us usually aren't trying to meet a price point. Have you thought of cutting a 2 inch hole using a hole saw in the center and inserting the back of your coping saw through there while you make your 10 inch hole?
    -DS

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.