1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Badly drilled neck mounting holes - solution?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by NeverStock, Feb 2, 2009.

1. NeverStock

NeverStock TDPRI Member

Hello all, well, fresh off my first assembly, I embarked on a second, and I acquired this neck off eBay - up close I noticed that next to the holes there was some gray mortar-looking stuff that crumbled away. I just poked at it and voila, the seller had been hiding some figure 8 neck mounting holes. Is there a solution for this?

[​IMG]

I had the thought of getting some very large threaded inserts and larger-than normal screws and just drilling it out to where there's contact with wood again, but those would be huge screws, and that I would think would make the neck prone to cracking.

2. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

You can fill the holes with maple dowel. Just glue the dowels in place, let it dry for 12 hours and then re-drill the correct holes. No biggie.

3. '59 NOS

'59 NOS TDPRI Member

He's right.

Or as you say threaded inserts in all 4 holes to make it look intentional. As long as they go as deep as the original holes, they'll be as strong or stronger. Finding screws to match that look right from the outside might be more difficult.

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm sure the real experts will chime in, but, I'd think you could drill the holes with a larger bit to make them uniform, then dowel them and you'd be set.

I'll be interested to see what the big dogs think though.

(hadn't seen telenators post... +1)

5. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

Yup, as Telenator say's above - plug with maple dowels and wood glue, allow to set properly and re-drill.

6. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, I'm not a big dog but that's the way I'd do it. I'd probably use a 1/4 in. or 5/16 in. drill bit depending on what size dowels I might have.

7. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Medium sized Dog? 'Heel' [ahem] :cool:

8. martyb1

martyb1 Tele-Afflicted

Hmmm,then why did I find this
    [​IMG];)

9. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

I had a similar issue with an old and pretty abused Warmoth neck. I just dowelled the old holes and drilled the new ones. Worked just fine.

10. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

One little afterthought to all of the above, since your dowels will be end grain (most likely) you can go to a Hobby Shop and ask for water thin CA that Model builders use...and let that wick into the ends of the dowels, to toughen up the wood fibers a Tad...not completely necessary , but thought I would mention it.

11. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

+1 on using dowels......Do any of the holes actually fit your guitar ? The holes nearest to the body , are awfully close together. It could turn out to be one big hole needed to use one dowell. If any of the holes line up with the body you are going to use , I would find some smaller dowells and only plug the ones that you arent going to use.
    If none of the holes line up , I would still use smaller dowels , and fill each hole , instead of drilling so big...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.