Bad whisker! A cautionary tale...

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Years back, shortly after I built my Princeton Reverb, it developed an occasional loud snap, crackle, pop. Someone smart suggested I should blast out the chassis with compressed air -- I'd used some shielded cable and they mentioned that stray whiskers of shield (but also solder blobs, or chunks of wire strand, or...) could cause intermittent shorts and snaps. I opened it up, shook it out, dusted it upside down with canned air, and the problem went away.

Just last week I was looking for something else and came across this pic, taken shortly after the build when I added a PI grid stopper — *and* two runs of shielded cable to a raw pot. Hey, chief inspector, get out your magnifying glass. As Helen Hunt says in 'Twister': "We have debris...."

1650123313126.jpeg

Moral of the story -- housekeeping. A dry acid brush, canned air, compressed air, invert and shake, etc. A clean build is a quiet (and safe) build.

Last edited:

sds1

Friend of Leo's
FWIW I got one of these along the way, many years ago, possibly a gift, it's been one of those invaluable tools I didn't know I needed and now can't live without. There are many like it but this one is mine:

1650126339578.png

I do use it to blow out amp chassis after I work on them. Those little wire snippets/whiskers don't always shake out on their own.

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Workflow too. Ideally I should do prep work (like building shielded leads with braided shields) well away from the chassis -- and take revision work out too. Drill shavings? ideally you never have to drill or enlarge a hole in the chassis once the build actually starts -- yeah, right. It doesn't hurt (and has lots of other advantages) to populate the chassis walls (pots, jacks, etc.) and do all power, non-board, off-board, or under-board wiring before you put in the board (which is good at hiding debris). A small magnetic screw-retriever tool is handy for dropped washers and so on, but of course a tiny chunk of cut copper isn't magnetic, so I try to needle-nose it out of there before it runs off to hide.

johnnylaw

Friend of Leo's
Initially, I thought your band was Bad Whisker.
Thanks for the thread though.
I’ve been salvaging and stockpiling tid bits for a build, when and if I ever retire.
Oh, and Princetons are brilliant amps too!

Mongo Park

Tele-Afflicted
A timely thread for me. The present build I am working on had this same problem, a first for me. I did a B+ check and while I was getting all the voltages and writing them down I herd a spark sound. So I shut off the amp. On close inspection a piece of resistor wire as a cutoff that must have flown away when it cut it was stuck unders some components and was just close enough to conduct a spark to the chassis. So go figure. Something new to add to startup before sending electrons through the maze

Bill Moore

Tele-Afflicted
I built a 5E3 last year that the sound was low/distorted on startup. Voltage checks showed a short, upon further inspection, found a "whisker" of solder had shorted a turret to the chassis. A bent piece of wire swept under the board cleared it, and it sounds great!

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
For sure, stuff that 'hangs out' under the board is the worst. Bad enough if it's just hiding there, but worse if it's a stalactite 'hanging down' from the board. I like the old backing board plus eyelet board sandwich for that reason, but even with eyelets (which I find less prone to wick in excess solder), I've gone to standoffs.

In fact, I'm debating just this week between ¼" and ½" standoffs. Ah, the old tingle; I feel a new thread coming on... :)

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
The only tube amp maintenance I ever did was on a Webcor 5W tabletop HiFi thing. Even after recapping and lots of DeOxit it would crackle starting a few minutes after warmup. Finally in frustration I busted out the original phenolic sockets to replace them with ceramic ones I'd purchased. The internal layers were all carbonized. Those must be the cheapest sockets possible; they are one step above cardboard.