Bad Reviews and Thick Skin

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by OlRedNeckHippy, Feb 15, 2016.

1. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

I'd wouldn't worry about it. You can't make everybody happy.

I was once critical of guitar players in general based on what I liked and lack of knowledge. Now that I actually try to play myself after 30+ years seeing hundreds if not thousands of guitar based performances, I know how hard it is. I have a different point of view now. I recently saw a band at a local bowling alley and I mean they were bad. My thought process was different though. I understand that they actually got up and played. Through this they gained experience and can strive to get better.

2. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Write a song called "auto tune fix my voice".

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

4. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Forget him. You know you sing alright. I get a lot of requests but I play the fiddle anyway, lol.

5. Dave dog

Dave dog TDPRI Member

Was it Dave Byrne who said ,words to the effect , that if you sing to well ,no one takes you seriously .?

6. AndreDanican

AndreDanican Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

The composer Max Reger got a terrible review for a concert performance of a piece he wrote. Here's what he wrote back to the reviewer:

"I'm in the smallest room in my house. Your review is in front of me. Soon, it will be behind me."

7. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Tele-Meister

**** that guy and everybody that looks like him, I say. Ain't nobody got time for haters.

8. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Because the haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate...:lol:

9. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Right F-n On! You guys Rawk!
    Thank you guys.

I keep thinking, 'he's probably a metal head or even a die-hard classic rock junky and my brand of rockin' country music doesn't go over well with those folks anyway'.
    If your playing Blake Shelton for someone that has every Megadeth album, they're not going to like you no matter how good you are.

"Haters will Hate!"

I really do feel better now then I did last night and this morning, mostly due to this thread. Thanks again fellas.

10. creading

creading Tele-Holic

My sister never liked Merle Haggard's voice. My Dad (RIP) thought The Beatles couldn't sing or write good music.
    No one can please everyone. Just take it with a grain of salt and don't give a f##k

11. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I think I'd ignore him, though taking the first route might be easier.

12. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

It was probably some shoe-gazing guy, wouldn't be missed if he washed out to sea. There's like 7.4 billion people on the planet, let him just be one that doesn't matter.

Now if he comes around for a second bite, it's time to break his jaw. He opens the door, he can deal with what walks out. :)

13. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

First off, don't take anything on FB seriously. In fact, get that stupid FB out of your life if you can. There is so much vermin, and negativity associated with that poor-excuse-for-social-media-tabloid, that it starting to smell like a 200 year old cesspool.

I must quote Neil Young here from the Ambulance Blues song:
    "So all you critics sit alone
    You're no better than me for what you've shown".

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

"That is the first negative thing I have ever heard about my singing. Ever. And I've been singing in the bars since the late 70's".

First?! How awesome is that?! You're the man. Sing your heart out. I can't even get out the front door without a comment about my singing, so you rock. I am sooo jealous. Hot dang, that really couldn't be better to be sure. Well, unless you are holding a gun to the audiences head. Congrats.

15. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

OlRedNeckHippy

It's just the Drummers buddy sucking-up.
    For all we know, your old drummer doesn't like him either.

16. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As I always says, ***** the haters. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff!

17. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Go sing something you love to sing and that YOU feel you sing well, say "To hell with snipey brats" three times, then sing some more, and enjoy it.

18. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Most criticism comes from people who can't do what they criticize, so they have no foundation or credentials to be an authority worth paying attention to. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

19. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

The level of "music criticism" has plummeted overall thanks to the Internet. There are so many ignorant people and hateful trolls spewing out ill-informed commentary that it's devalued the level of music criticism to a shocking degree. So, I ignore it.

"Professional" criticism isn't far behind in my opinion. I read two reviews of tonight's episode of "The X-Files" and it was like I was reading reviews of two different shows. One reviewer thought the episode was excellent and the other thought it was terrible. Sure, people are entitled to their opinions but when one person differs so much from the other, something is wrong. (For the record I thought the episode was flawed but pretty darn good.)

20. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

ORNH ,
    Ignore the haters, Its all about having fun, and if it feels good........
    it sounds like some one was trying to blow your confidence, don't let them win. Belt it out and have fun doing it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.