Bad news about my best friend

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JL_LI, Apr 1, 2019.

1. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sorry for your sad news. Some dogs, and yes - some cats - are really special. Our experience sharing a life with them seems to transcend analysis. They can be sensitive to our emotions and state of mind in ways we have a hard time understanding, and the bonds they form with us are amazing. I have always liked the Will Rogers quote, "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

Greggorios, JL_LI and Chinacat like this.
  2. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Saying goodbye to a pup is one of life's most painful things. But your first priority is seeing to it that Sam is as comfortable as can be and then helping him let go before things get too difficult.

Most of us here know this and have done this and will likely have to do it again. :(

I'm very sorry for what you are facing. When you have eased Sam into his next world, in time, hopefully you can welcome another pup and I'm certain Sam would approve of that!

3. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

I feel for you. My boxer Bowser is getting up there in years and I can’t bare the thought of him not being here. I wish you and your dog only the very best.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sam is a good looking guy. Peace to all of you

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm truly sorry for your impending loss. The waiting becomes unbearable. I've experienced this with loved ones, and loved pets. It will be 31 weeks tomorrow since little Toto passed, I am no more able to get over losing him than I can sprout wings and fly. I thought I would never want another dog, then along came Alex. I am so fortunate to have found little Alex, he's just the best dog, he needed a home, I needed a dog. I wish you and Sam only the best.

I couldn't respond to your post right away, because we have been through so much in the last ten to twelve years, my wife in and out of the hospital, the loss of family members, the loss of pets. It's just too painful to face. Yet, through it all we go on, until we face death ourselves. It is the way of life, cards we are dealt whether we want to play the game of not, we're in.

Greggorios, JL_LI, Chinacat and 2 others like this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I wish dogs had at least double the lifespan they have. Time seems to go by much faster these days. It's never easy when they are in their final years. It's been around 6 years since my best friend of 14 and a half years passed away in my arms and it still brings a tear to my eye thinking about it. Enjoy every day you have together and try and make her as comfortable as possible. Hoping she rebounds from this. Maybe a tailored diet to combat her condition might help her pep up?

Toto'sDad, Greggorios, JL_LI and 2 others like this.
  7. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sorry to hear that; doesn't get get much tougher than that. I have a Sam too; just turned 11.

image.jpeg

8. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

That's very sad - you will face a tough decision, when it's time to let him go. Don't wait too long until you have the vet do what's necessary to put him out of pain.

JL_LI and Chinacat like this.
  9. Dep

Dep Tele-Holic

So sorry to hear that your time with Sam is nearing an end. It's always hard to let them go, but often it's the kindest thing we can do for them. Jacks are great dogs.

We rescued an old dog from the humane society. He was just a mutt, but they often make the best pets. They estimated he was about 13 or so. He had some medical issues but still enjoyed going for a walk and playing in the back yard. We just wanted to give him a good home for as long as we could. He was one of the best dogs we ever had. His name was Burt. He had a muzzle full of grey fur.

We had him for 5 months. One day, he just didn't want to get up and move around. We'd have to carry him outside when he needed to go. Vet said his organs had started to shut down, but he wasn't in any pain. So we decided we'd take him home and see how he was the next day. We gave him a lot of attention that night.

When we got up the next morning, Burt had passed away in his sleep, on his bed. Still tears me up just to think of it. He was a sweet old boy. At least he got to leave this world in his own bed, and not in a cage at the vets. I'm so glad we didn't leave him there that night.

I miss him every day.

Give Sam lots of treats and lots of attention. I'll keep y'all in my thoughts, and pray you have time to make more great memories before she goes.

John

10. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I'm so sorry. Dogs give you the happiest days of your life... and the saddest day.

11. Chinacat

Chinacat TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

'Liking' these posts seems so inappropriate - wish there was a sympathy button. Pets bring so much love and joy into our lives all we can do is love them in return and give them an easy passage when they leave us. I'm so very sorry and wish Sam all the best.

Festus_Hagen and Greggorios like this.
  12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I think Chinacat nailed it with his very genuine post. I haven’t replied to each individual post. I recognize a lot of folks who’ve posted here from past exchanges with them. I’m heartened by posts from folks I don’t recognize. I’m thinking that a lot of us share love of our pet family members as much as we share a love of music. I get the difference between like and sympathy. I think we’re all saying to each other, “been there brother/sister”. Thanks everyone for your sympathy and concern.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Festus_Hagen likes this.
  13. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Very sorry to read of this.
    We had to put our dog down this past December and I still expect to see him every time I walk in the door.
    Best wishes to all.

Chinacat and JL_LI like this.
  14. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Both Sam and Jacques are blessed to have you as their human JL-LI. I'm sure you've provided them both with a life and love that 99% of the pets in the world would envy. As difficult as it is you'll help her cross over when the time comes.

We have a 16 year old Maltese that's experiencing similar aging as your Sam; she's blind too, lost much/most of her hearing, has arthritis etc. Her liver values have started jumpin' around and recent sonograms suggest she may not be with us too long. We also lost her companion of 15 years in 2018 and she/we miss him lots. However we are fortunate in that I was forced to retire last year so I'm available to be her "elder companion", act as her eyes, etc. I do know how much all of this hurts yet at the same time there's an indescribable beauty in us lowly little creatures taking care of each other.

Keeping good thoughts for you both.

G

upload_2019-4-2_9-20-24.png

15. Chinacat

Chinacat TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Very well done. You made his last few months comfortable.

JL_LI likes this.
  16. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Continue to love her and enjoy each day. And when the time comes for you to part, keep her alive with the wonderful memories of happy times.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.