1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bad monkey noise

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by inspectorted, Oct 1, 2010.

1. inspectorted

inspectorted TDPRI Member

Just bought a bad monkey pedal used. This thing is too noisy when I turn any of the knobs past 12 o clock. I tried cleaning it out with funk out, and bought new cords. This did not change anything. Any suggestions? I'm playing through a peavey renown 400 SS amp.

2. antiuser

antiuser Tele-Meister

Are you using a filtered/regulated power supply? Do you still get the noise if you use a battery?

3. inspectorted

I'm using a battery. I noticed that it only happens when I run the pedal through the pre amp in and pre amp out on the back side of the amp ( effects loop). If I run the pedal between guitar to input it works just fine. So it's probably the amp.

4. Glen 1981

Glen 1981 Tele-Meister

Dirt pedals in general typically work better going into the input of the amp rather than in the effects loop. I quite like using a clean boost in the effects loop though.

5. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

I'm no expert but I've read that depending on the amp, the "preamp out" can be a "line level" signal. There is a significant difference in a line level signal vs. the "instrument level" signal that comes from your guitar. That right there "could" be the issue. I know some pedals are designed to handle line level (like some high end delays, etc that sound best when through a preamp out or effects loop out). But a lot of effects are not designed with that purpose, they are designed to accept instrument level.

FWIW I tried several of my OD pedals through the effects loop in my amp and found the sound quality to be terrible, there was a loss of available gain/volume as well as loss of clarity. YMMV. A lot of people have better success with a delay/reverb in a loop.

6. inspectorted

Well my chours pedal works well in the pre amp in and out hook up, but not the OD. Whats the benefit of the pre amp in and out?

7. wazupwiopiii

wazupwiopiii Tele-Meister

The effects loop allows you to use your effects in the "Right" order. After the input, your signal goes through a gain stage and through the speaker. The effects loop is in between the gain stage and the speaker which allows you to put pedals that usually work better after a gain stage in a spot were they "should" go.

8. inspectorted

That makes since... The chorus pedal sounds better running through the effects loop than it does running inline through the guitar input. The bad monkey does a better job running through the guitar input.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.