Bad Guitar / Hair Day(s)

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Please tell us your recording process if you will. Mics, interface, DAW

thanks, I'm still trying to get good recordings.
PreSonus PM-2 mics - stereo x-y
Scarlett 4i4
Studio One (free version)

The guitar is 99% responsible for the tone. 44 year old Yairi. When I get the mic placement right, it needs almost no EQ . . . usually just reduction of a narrow frequency if there is a resonant drone in the low mids.

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
PreSonus PM-2 mics - stereo x-y
Scarlett 4i4
Studio One (free version)

The guitar is 99% responsible for the tone. 44 year old Yairi. When I get the mic placement right, it needs almost no EQ . . . usually just reduction of a narrow frequency if there is a resonant drone in the low mids.

I've got similar setup. Scarlett 2i2 & Studio One, and also trying to get sound done mostly before DAW. Learned so far that mic placement (e-guitar cabinet) has big impact. And sometimes when trying to make small adjustments, I'm ending up going too much opposite side with relatively small movements & tinkering amp settings at the same time.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I've got similar setup. Scarlett 2i2 & Studio One, and also trying to get sound done mostly before DAW. Learned so far that mic placement (e-guitar cabinet) has big impact. And sometimes when trying to make small adjustments, I'm ending up going too much opposite side with relatively small movements & tinkering amp settings at the same time.

Have you watched Joe Gilder on you tube? He is a Studio One expert and has a channel called "Home Studio Corner".

Reactions: SbS

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Have you watched Joe Gilder on you tube? He is a Studio One expert and has a channel called "Home Studio Corner".

No, I haven't. There's also lot to learn. Thanks for the tip, I'll check those. At least titles of his videos look very much the stuff I have been pondering.

Damn, I can already relate to: Why Does My Mix Sound Bad in the Car (.. I got Toyota too on top of other things) :lol:

Last edited:

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
No, I haven't. There's also lot to learn. Thanks for the tip, I'll check those. At least titles of his videos look very much the stuff I have been pondering.

Damn, I can already relate to: Why Does My Mix Sound Bad in the Car (.. I got Toyota too on top of other things) :lol:

I watched many of his videos before my recording equipment ever arrived. His video about "soft mixes" (similar to the car sound video) saved me much frustration. He has 10 years of "Home Studio Recording" videos and he is primarily a guitar player (and a great vocalist IMO).

Reactions: SbS

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Some days you’re the windshiel, some days you’re the bug. It’s life.
Like others have said, record yourself. The recording does not lie but it’s a great tool to work out the kinks

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The recording does not lie but it’s a great tool to work out the kinks
I have learned there is a case where the recording tells a white lie. When I double guitars (fingerstyle), each track has flaws (because I rush to record without practice), but when I put them together, it is highly unlikely I will be sloppy in the same place.

The result is an overall decent mix. There is a neat stereo effect when strings get muted on one track and not the other (but you can only hear it well with headphones).

Last edited:

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
Some times I'll pick up my guitar and play (hey, that sounds like it could make a good lyric...) and I think "yeah, I still got this...chew on this, suckers..."

Other times I pick up my guitar and put it down very quickly, because I sound like 💩