Bad experience -- Weber chassis and cab

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by King Fan, Oct 1, 2013.

1. tubeswell

tubeswell Friend of Leo's

I'm hesitant about buying Weber PTs made for 'euro voltage' countries, because of the potential problems with saturation of magnetising current in undersized cores. But there's nothing wrong with their OTs IMHO - like their speakers, all the one's I've gotten so far have been fantastic for the price.

2. tubeswell

Last time I bough three speakers in one shipment (to NZ) and it saved on the per-speaker cost (One speaker would've been US$100 to ship IIRC, but three worked out to US$60 each.)

3. laird

laird Tele-Holic

Although I have always received everything I ordered from Weber, my experience with their communication has been the same - it has been mediocre in the best of times. If you're looking for one of their more common speakers, there is a shop called Speaker Tone that actually stocks some of the Weber speakers and ships them very quickly. They're local to me so I can just go and pick them up. :)

-Laird

4. tubeswell

Would that I were so lucky

5. Fatknuckle

Fatknuckle Tele-Holic

Bob at Speakertone is awesome. No waiting.

6. Green-House

Green-House TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Bob at SpeakerTone is indeed a pleasure to deal with!

7. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

......so size matters.

8. Niles

Niles Tele-Meister

Order your cab from mojo. I have both a cab (tweed) from Weber(Pownell) and from Mojo and there is no comparison. Weber cabs don't even use the correct type of screws. I posted pics of the 1-10 Princeton cab I ordered for my Harvard project.

9. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

My first (unfortunately out of several) experience with them was bad. It too was a chassis. No responses. Ted (RIP) literally ducked me for a month (actually 31+ days). When he finally responded he was rude... actually, he was a total d!ck, to be honest. When I finally got the chassis (for a tube standalone reverb unit) it was majorly scratched - and I got the feeling he scratched it on purpose before putting it in the mail.

Everyone kept saying *I* was the jerk. Everyone kept saying he was a saint and I must have somehow been in the wrong (30 days without a peep? rudeness, hostility, and condescension to a perfect stranger/customer?). I now realize none of them bought anything other than speakers. His amp business is a different story altogether.

After so many TDPRI'ers kept extolling his virtues I caved in and got two amp kits from him. They were extremely low quality and cheap. Everyone told me I was wrong again. The copper traces on his cheap Chinese input jacks lifted with a low watt soldering iron! Filter caps croaked (I am by no means a noob with a soldering iron). The faceplates cracked and scratched if you breathed funny. He decided to attack me on forums rather than deal with my legitimate customer service/quality problems.

Fast forward several years and he passed. I never personally knew him and even his horrible business model I never took personally - I felt bad for the guy.

Apparently he has passed the torch, and it flickers just as dimly.

10. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I can attest to Mojo's cab quality. Though I usually build my own, I bought THREE cabs from them. Every single one is solid, beautiful in every detail, shipped ASAP, and customer service actually gave a ***** about their customers. They never got all pissed off and bothered like they were doing you a favor.

I also got a LOPO cab (a BF Bassman head repro). It is beautiful too.

I don't have any experience with Weber's cabs, though if they're anything like their amp chassis or their amp kits... uh, don't bother.

11. Bonker

Bonker TDPRI Member

Ordered 9/29...
    Still waiting... :(

12. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

"This means that you will need to allow at least 14 working days for us to complete your order, and then ship."

I dont see any difference with Webers customer service and Bill Lawrence. Lawrence doesnt give order confirmation, they dont let you know on the current wait times, they offer different colors but I couldnt find anyway of letting them know what color I wanted, they don't answer emails and they didnt put my bridge pickup in my box. They did send me one but it took me sending 3 emails, 3 days in a row. When I did finally get a reply they had no idea what I ordered and the only thing I could give them was my paypal transaction number because of the lack of any sort of confirmation. A week later I got my bridge pickup.

Now I'm not trying to defend Weber and I am not angry or ranting on the Lawrences. Everyone looks the other way with the Lawrences because they are nice people and they make a good product. However, we need to hold everyone to the same standards, bad customer service is bad customer service. I am 2/2 with Weber and 0/2 with Bill Lawrence.

13. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Ted Sr. was dying at the time. He died of a respiratory ailment. Near as I can tell it's difficult to die and run a business at the same time.

It's difficult to think and breathe at the same time when it takes all your effort just to breathe. :rolleyes:

There are a few people who will tell you I'm a total dick.

Weber both Senior and Junior attempted to chase the economy down with inexpensive parts and kits. How many $500 kits are you gonna sell when musicians can run down to GC and buy $300 amps? Very few people bitched about the Valve Junior Versions 1 and 2 even though those frankly sucked. There are plenty of turnkey amps that contain cheap Chinese parts. The manufacturers quietly replace them under warrantee because they'll make their profit on the 9 out of 10 that don't come back.

Musicians don't see and don't care to see the cheap parts that come in most new amps. We're technicians. We do.

I'm a big fan of Gordon Ramsay. Yeah, he's abrasive. Yeah, he can be rude. Yeah, the contrast between the way he deals with incompetence and the way he sucks up to Sharon Osborne and the like can be striking. I can overlook that because the guy is a craftsman. You might not approve of his process but apparently it works.

I'm tellin' you that to tell you this: The dude is a process engineer. He can walk into a restaurant that's totally screwed up and fix it. Typically he focusses on strengths. It's transformational. Turn weakness into strength. A repetitive theme is untrained chefs attempting to cook a diverse and complicated menu. Usually ol' Gordo rolls out "the new simplified menu". "The new simplified menu" is like The Ramones. Playin' three chords like you mean it can take you further than knowin' all the chords.

Lotta people point out problems. Fewer point 'em out as part of a constructive process.

WeberVST isn't a $700 million a year multinational corporation. They're a mom & pop shop who attempted aggressive expansion in uncertain times. Junior probably has his hands full.

I'm not entirely thrilled with them, either. But... "You're either part of the problem or part of the solution." Sometimes I cause problems just to be part of something. :twisted:

Seriously... If Ted Junior wanted my help I'd drive down there and help him out. I've built an amp or two. I suppose I could pick parts and cue 'em for shipping. Then I'd know the strengths and weaknesses of their processes and procedures.

I expect there's a way forwards for them. I hope so. We all lose if there isn't.

14. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

When I bought the four 12 inch speakers for my deluxe builds I chose to go through weber directly instead of going through a middle vendor who offered the exact same order for less (shipping). why? because the customer service at weber answered my e-mails promptly and honestly. My speakers arrived after about 10 days from when I placed my order.

15. tonebrulee

tonebrulee Tele-Meister

1st world problem..

Gotta agree with @muchxs here guys. My take is we're all pretty used to the gratification of near instant transactions from Amazon, etc. Sure, customer service at some mom & pops will be better than others, and it sounds like Weber has been having some troubles. Personally, my own experience w/Weber has always been great, including the first speaker order I made years ago when Ted took my flurry of obsessed, tone-nerd email questions with grace and patience - patience goes two ways, right? - and gave me the best of his insight w/out a whiff of a complaint. Even without that though, I'd cut them some slack just on principle - I love small businesses, and especially ones that invent great products, like Ted's speakers. But even w/out that, if you're annoyed you'll always do better offering honey over vinegar. If I were at the receiving end of some of these complaints, I'd probably push the squeaky wheel to the bottom of the queue too even if that weren't the smartest move. Think you gotta take a few deep breaths, ya know - it's a hobby, not a consultation with your oncologist.

16. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

I recently ordered a Weber Mini Mass from them. They were very prompt and kept me updated throughout the entire process. My package arrived exactly on their forecasted date.

17. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just ordered a AlNiCo Blue Pup. I realize they are a Mom & Pop Shop, so although I'm in great anticipation, I'm trying to be patient.

The speakers I've gotten from them have all been great for their appropriate level. The transformer has been working flawlessly. The Speaker cab has been satisfactory (not great) for the price.

They obviously are a small business, when you see how old the software on their web page is. Their main concern is the product they make in their shop. The cabs, the Signature Series Speakers, the transformers, etc., are made outside their shop. Those who make these items have to balance manufacturing costs, customer specifications, turnaround time and quality. Usually they get it right, but sometimes there can be some screw-ups.

18. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Surprisingly, Weber handled my most recent order, 2 weeks ago, with lightning speed, accuracy and a fair shipping charge.

Though, their past performance had been inconsistent, IME, they provide reasonably good service and products at fair prices.

19. G-log

G-log Tele-Holic

I tried to order a speaker from them once.I got an impersonal reply saying my credit card wouldn't work. Sent back a reply asking what the next step was and got no answer.There are no issues with my credit, so I waited.....still no reply after a year....YMMV...

20. Fatknuckle

Fatknuckle Tele-Holic

I have had several orders processed through them over the past several years, and all after Mr. Ted had passed. I have to say that, even with transformers and one out of the many speakers ordered, they have been on spot. My dealings have been post Ted-era, so that may set a baseline for some, but on non-transformer orders, been ok. The concept of cheap amp kits with Chinese parts is something else which I do not find attractive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.