Bad Cat Cub 40R - Player's Series... any reports?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ruger9, Sep 13, 2019 at 6:14 AM.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Looking to pull the trigger on one of my bucket list amps- a Bad Cat. While I dig the AC30 "thing", (and owned a Genz Benz Black Pearl- awesome amp- which is like a hot-rodded AC30... actually, I always called it the "poor man's Bad Cat" lol), I'm really more of a thicker, low-mids, Marshally guy... and the Cub 40R (with EL34s) seems to be the right one for me. (the only other amp I was considering was a Mesa Lonestar, to give you an idea... but that's a newer crush, the Bad Cat has been a quest for a long time)

Anyway, I've read nothing but stellar reports here and elsewhere, and while I'm sure I won't really get any negatives on this amp, just want to be reassured I'm not making a "mistake" since I'm looking for more of a thicker-sounding rock amp, than a high mids jangler, lol. I get my drive from my amps, and I use a pedal for more. Think old-school Keith Urban, he's the one that got me onto Bad Cats in the first place.

Going with the Player's series for the lighter weight (tube/spring reverb not necessary for this amp, for me), and because I've read John's (Bad Cat owner) comments about a few tone tweaks that were made to the Players, and how it's his personal favorite.

I DO use a clean channel, occasionally, with the band.... like maybe 2 songs per night... should I be giving the Hot Cat 30R consideration?

I play a tele with "vintage hot" pickups most of the time, but also have a P90 tele and an HSS strat... looking to get an HH tele or maybe a DGT in the future...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 7:33 AM
  2. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Welp, guess I'm gonna' find out...

enroute

[​IMG]

dan40 likes this.
  3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I’ve had the 15 watt version for a few months now and I dig it. You should be able to clean / dirty it up with the footswitched boost.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.