Bad Cat Cub 40R - Player's Series... any reports?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ruger9, Sep 13, 2019.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Looking to pull the trigger on one of my bucket list amps- a Bad Cat. While I dig the AC30 "thing", (and owned a Genz Benz Black Pearl- awesome amp- which is like a hot-rodded AC30... actually, I always called it the "poor man's Bad Cat" lol), I'm really more of a thicker, low-mids, Marshally guy... and the Cub 40R (with EL34s) seems to be the right one for me. (the only other amp I was considering was a Mesa Lonestar, to give you an idea... but that's a newer crush, the Bad Cat has been a quest for a long time)

Anyway, I've read nothing but stellar reports here and elsewhere, and while I'm sure I won't really get any negatives on this amp, just want to be reassured I'm not making a "mistake" since I'm looking for more of a thicker-sounding rock amp, than a high mids jangler, lol. I get my drive from my amps, and I use a pedal for more. Think old-school Keith Urban, he's the one that got me onto Bad Cats in the first place.

Going with the Player's series for the lighter weight (tube/spring reverb not necessary for this amp, for me), and because I've read John's (Bad Cat owner) comments about a few tone tweaks that were made to the Players, and how it's his personal favorite.

I DO use a clean channel, occasionally, with the band.... like maybe 2 songs per night... should I be giving the Hot Cat 30R consideration?

I play a tele with "vintage hot" pickups most of the time, but also have a P90 tele and an HSS strat... looking to get an HH tele or maybe a DGT in the future...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  2. ruger9

Welp, guess I'm gonna' find out...

enroute

[​IMG]

3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I’ve had the 15 watt version for a few months now and I dig it. You should be able to clean / dirty it up with the footswitched boost.

4. ruger9

Well....

[​IMG]

I can't believe how QUIET this thing is, even when hitting it with an overdrive. Wow. It's got that "pure" tone that comes from short circuit paths and UN-cascaded gain stages.... reminds me of the Princeton in that way (it doesn't sound like a Princeton, but I'm used to a Supersonic, which has a LONG circuit path and MANY gain stages LOL)

That's all for now... I'll have to live with, enjoy, and get to know it for awhile before doing anything resembling a "review".

This thing is DEAD quiet, even when cranked AND being hit with an OD....

uriah1 and rze99 like this.
  5. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Awesome amp. This was #2 on the list after the combo I just bought

6. ruger9

Whadjya get?

7. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mesa TC50

I decided to go with lots of channels and knobs over something relatively simple

I also decided to get rid of dirt pedals, which I can with the Mesa

8. ruger9

I was actually considering the Lone Star, for the same reason (to get rid of dirt pedals... can't do that with the Cub, but CAN with the HOT Cat...) but the Mesa stuff is SO HEAVY!!! Even just the Lonestar head weighs 43 lbs!!! The 1x12 combo is 72!!!

9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Also a happy Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 owner.. I've thought about this amp before when I've seen them on offer but, honestly, I got the Black Pearl cheap (relatively unknown in the UK) and it still does it for me.

ruger9 likes this.
  10. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

1) Congrats on the amp!!! I hope it does everything you hoped it would!

2) if it doesn't.... I would strongly suggest you look into finding the discontinued Orange Rocker 30 (with EL34). Thick, tight, a bit like a JCM800 on steroids with extra low mids. Really great amp.
    My Orange R30 and my Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 are lifers I think. I can't see myself selling either of these.

ruger9 and rze99 like this.
  11. rze99

What a beauty!

12. ruger9

If a Black Pearl "fell into my lap", I'd buy it again. Fantastic amp. I always said it was the "poor man's Matchless/Badcat", but it's actually MORE than that. That is one hell of an amp, SHAME ON FENDER for discontinuing it when they bought Genz Benz (so it wouldn't compete with their amps, which it's BETTER THAN most of, imo.) The new Supersonics are just as good if not better than the Black Pearl, but only because they have 2 channels, and the amp can go from very clean to very dirty with a footswitch.

If Fender made a handwired, non-relay-switched, version of the Supersonic, I'd buy it in a minute, FANTASTIC amps (I own the 22 and the 60). But reliability has been an issue...

Les Paul lover likes this.
  13. Les Paul lover

Yes, the black pearl is a little gem.

Still, if you get the opportunity to try an Orange Rocker 30, it sounds like it'll do exactly what you want. It's brilliant dirty rock amp. Thick, punchy, articulate, and with an edge to it. Really quite something.

ruger9 likes this.
  14. ruger9

Thanks, I've never considered Orange, but will look into it.

(altho, I have to be honest... my Roland Blues Cube Artist- with the Ultimate Blues Tone Capsule which is a Marshall Super Lead on the dirty side- is giving me everything I need for my loud, 2-guitar, rock band.)

15. rze99

Shame on FMiC indeed! They bought them for the compact bass designs is my guess and the Black pearl didn’t fit the reissue back catalogue deal at the time

I like to see mine as a sleeping classic, rare and beautiful. Mine is staying. It’s the only true tube amp that “does” all the others. If the others have to go, the black pearl is staying due it’s amazing flexibility and quality combined.

16. Les Paul lover

Back to topic..... how are you getting on with your bad cat?

Does it do what you hoped it would?

17. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

"congratulations honey my mother said to my sister, I'll pay for the first one"

I hope this marriage is all that you hope it will be.

18. ruger9

It's a great amp. Sadly, it's not what I'm after. I probably should have gotten a Hot Cat.

The Cub is great for clean and edge-of-breakup tones, but I like to use my amps (not overdrives) for most of my gain (dirty rhythm), and by the time the Cub gets up into that territory (which is with the volume -preamp- dimed or almost dimed), it's pretty ragged. With the gain maxed, I'd have to run the treble and cut OFF, and that's with the K-Master at only 9:00... if you need more volume than that, it only gets brighter as you turn up. Does a great "Cuts Like a Knife", but can't really do anything hotter than that... and I'm looking for more of a David Grissom/Keith Urban/Jonny Lang thing, straight from the amp.

I currently own a Supersonic 22 and a Roland Blues Cube Artist, both of which do that. I should have gotten a Hot Cat. Still might. I'll take a hit selling the brand-new Cub tho... can't return it because it wasn't an in-stock item (but the website said it was, that's a long story, but suffice it to say, it was built for me, in just a few days, so technically it's custom, and therefore not returnable... otherwise, I'd return it and get the Hot Cat.)

19. Les Paul lover

May be it'll be time to check out the Orange R30....

20. ruger9

LOL, I watched that last night. The amp does sound good, but the Orange... mid signature, for lack of a better term... isn't what I'm after. I'f I were playing a Les Paul Junior in a southern rock band like Blackberry Smoke, it would be perfect.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.