Backup rig

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sliberty, Nov 19, 2017.

1. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I am a tube amp guy, through and through. I am a hobby amp builder in fact, and most of my amps are home built. Trainwreck Express, Blackface Bassman, Brown Princeton Amp, Blackface Princeton Amp, and the one commercial amp I own is a Vox AC10C1.

I've started to feel like I should have a backup rig in case my amp craps out at a gig or rehearsal, but don't feel like carrying two amps around. So, I've built a small pedalboard system that can either be used to drive a speaker cabinet, or can go direct to a PA. The photo shows the board with a 30 watt Mooer Baby Bomb amplifier installed, but you can also see my DI (off to the left) which can be swapped in for the Mooer when appropriate.

What are you guys doing for backup rigs?

[​IMG]

Dismalhead likes this.
  2. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

I gig with a '54 5d3 Deluxe. I only recently began to carry a spare because I've only had an amp get cantankerous (but not actually fail) once in 50 years.

I'm doing it at my bandmates request, but I understand. I toss my 5e3 clone in the truck for the ride. It's light and would get me by. Bet I never use it.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I was at a rehearsal a few months ago, and the amp I was using is my Brown Princeton Amp copy. The 6v6's were NOS RCAs, and man they sounded great right up until the point the amp died :)

Turned out that the 6V6s failed, and took out my power transformer. I replaced the tranny, filter caps, rectifier tube, power tubes and rebuilt the power supply, and the amp is back and sounding great.

Rare occurrence? Maybe. But had this happened at a gig, it would have been gig over. In this case, there were spare amps at the home where we rehearse. But I will have this pedalboard sized backup rig in my trunk from now on.

4. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

I tend to carry another combo for backup. I will often use the backup amp, as an amp stand. And, I'm often a front man, so I also haul the PA, speakers, monitor, etc. At a minimum, I'll throw an EHX 22 Caliber amp pedal in my trunk. When I played for recording artists, amps would crap out, including backlines. You were expected to switch on the fly, within 5 or 10 seconds.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  5. GuitarPlayerFL

GuitarPlayerFL TDPRI Member

In the 80s, I was using either a JTM-45 or a Seymour Duncan Convertible combo. I never carried a backup and never had any problems.
    Now, I use a Mark V and I keep an original POD in my car. Of course, I'd have to monitor through the P.A. If it came to that.

6. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

As backup I usually go with Zoom G2 in Magnum 44 and speaker (mainly Eminence 10" or 15" in pine DIY cabs ). Or might replace the Magnum with Micro Terror with a mellower tube inside (12AU7). Both go into the cab and I use mainly tubeamp heads.

Attached Files:

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  7. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

I find that I can get a sound I’m happy with going straight to the board with the American Sound. It’s the last thing in my pedal board chain, and I go straight to my home mixer for practice. Have used it straight to the PA mixer on some gigs as well.

So in short, my pedalboard IS my gig backup.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I too carry an extra amp.
    It’s my older, far more beat up version of the same amp, a Roland Cube 80XL.
    Now the old one is my amp stand.
    It’s a perfect match, still works fine (though the tuner function is literally worn out), and has the exact same footprint.
    If you gig, you gotta have a spare with you, IMO.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    JustABluesGuy and nojazzhere like this.
  9. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Old Boss ME-30, I use it on "manual" as a pedal board for many gigs, and could just switch over to the patches if I needed a amp sim. I also carry a original iRig + Y-cord.. I have the free version of the Fender app on my phone & so could pull up a DR sim if needed..either run thru the PA would cover my needs. I might have $20 in the pair..

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I use a pair of Vox Pathfinder 15Rs....one fitted with a 10" Jensen in the original cab....the other in a custom made cab with a 12" Jensen. I COULD do a gig with only one of them if one conked out. I have a lot more experience with needing a back-up guitar....broken strings, broken tuner (low ceiling, ya' see)....never had a broken headstock (fingers crossed)..I also carry plenty of cables, strings, picks, benadryl and ibuprofen.

11. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

That Mooer Baby Bomb looks really interesting.
    How does it function best? Do you think it needs an amp emulation pedal like the Liverpool or American in front to sound good?

12. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Absolutely. It would sound flat and un-amp like without a preamp pedal of some sort. I use it with either the Liverpool or American Sound, depending on the band / situation. Although, truthfully, either would be fine in all situations. But since I had both, why not. Since posting that photo above, I made one change - I replaced the reverb with an EQ, which can be very helpful in situations like this. And my main pedalboard has a reverb already.

13. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Like the EH Magnum it is a power amp, it has no tone shaping capability, one of the Joyo or Tech 21 pedals, a multi-effects board with amp sims, Line6 POD, Behringer V-AMP, Session JD-10, there are plenty of avaialable options.

14. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Can't one take any pedal board, add that Joyo American Sound, plug that into the soundboard and play the gig(in case of amp failure)?

15. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Holic

Boss ME70 is my backup. Saved my butt at a fundraiser gig where we had 300 people dancing away and my Deluxe Reverb RI went down.

16. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

A Tech21 Flyrig 5 and a Fender Micro DI box.

17. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Sure. But a DI can come in very handy too. Sometimes a 1/4" cable can pickup too much noise when run long lengths, and level matching can also be a problem. So the DI can handle those possible issues and more (the Donner provides cab sim and ground lift for example). And in my case, I decided to make both of my preamp pedals available (Voxy and Fendery) on a simple to hook up board. But having the American Sound alone is certainly viable in a pinch.

18. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

On my pedal board is a ZOOM G3 that I use for all delays and modulation. Every patch has an amp sim included, but turned off. Should my amp die at a gig, I go direct (my G3 has an XLR out) and turn on the amp sim(s). I've only needed it once in an emergency situation, but it is good enough that I have intentionally used it on several shows.

I am also a Line 6 HD500 user... when using that the same applies as above. My choice between "Pedal Board / G3" and "HD500" is only dependent on my instrument requirements for a gig, nothing to do with preference. Both setups are great - IMO!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  19. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A DI with cab emulation and a Magnum 44 covers many bases and takes up little space in the bag.

aerhed likes this.
  20. Guitaryellow

Guitaryellow Tele-Meister

I gig with a JMP50, never had an issue, if i did i'd take the singers amp and his guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.