1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Backup amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by GuitarJonz, Sep 2, 2015.

1. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic

I build my own tube amps, so I'm always nervous! I just bought a Quilter Tone Block for backup and outdoor gigs where 28 watts won't stay clean (non pedal steel guitar). I'm going to try it at a gig this weekend. That new Quilter 101 Head looks like a winner, too.

dotpc likes this.
  2. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic

[sorry, used this text in another thread]

First gig test with a Quilter Tone Block 200... I used it with non-pedal steel using my tweed pro's speaker (Emi Legend 15") with a little reverb (Boss Fender 63 pedal) and Tone Job parametric EQ. I bought the Tone Block as a backup for my home-built 5e5a Pro and as a possible superlight portable high-power rig with a 1x12 ext cabinet if I ever get one.

I didn't get it dialed in quite right. I had a little too much preamp gain (I'm all clean) and was darker than I expected, but still 8/10 of what I wanted. I used it for one set and went back to the tweed pro setup for the rest of the night. The Quilter is a great little amp with plenty of juice.

dotpc likes this.
  3. DrBoBo

DrBoBo TDPRI Member

When I gig my main amp is my Allen Encore 2X10. Never failed me, but I cart around my MusicMan 65 reverb head and a custom 1X15 cable for emergencies. Heavy, but great peace of mind.

4. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I always used to carry a spare head with me. Stopped about 2 years ago, just seemed to be too much trouble, I never needed it.

This past Saturday night, my amp went bad (impedance selector switch busted, crackling at full volume). Had no spare. Ended up playing through my bass player's spare head. A 500W Hartke. It was less than pleasant.

From now on, I will hoist a spare head into my car, as I did for many years. If you only need it once, it's better to have it there than not.

P.

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

My backup amp is a Sessions JD-10 pedal and a DI box. Compact and could get me through almost any gig plugged into the PA.

6. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Tele-Meister

my backup is a Sansamp GT2

dotpc likes this.
  7. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Same here fortunately, since the mid 60's as well. I carry a Pro Jr. as a backup sometimes but usually not. However, I always carry a spare set of tubes and spare fuses, and have had cause to use one or the other a time or two.

8. ericmichel

ericmichel Tele-Meister

tech 21 fly rig 5;fits in a guitar case.

dotpc likes this.
  9. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Either the JD-10, a Joyo AC Tone or American Sound sits in the back of my amp or in the guitar case. Never had a failure myself, but on a couple of occassions I've lent one to another guitarist to run direct through the PA.

10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Still have crate power bloc under truck seat for backup, however now they have pedals that will do the job, even smaller!

11. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If I'm doing a single set gig I generally carry the bare minimum w/o backup. But if I'm playing the whole night I keep my Vox Pathfinder 15R in the trunk. I plug the other amp's speaker into it and I'm good to go. Mic it if I gotta.

12. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

I have used many shaky old amps (Silvertone, Supro, old, unserviced Fenders) over the years, so I always carry a backup-at one time, my now "restored by muchxs" SPR head, now an Orange Micro Terror. Half the time I end up playing all or part of the night through the backup-the PR and the Orange are both FUN amps!

13. 410DeVille

410DeVille Tele-Meister

I always have a backup head in the Chevy.

14. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

I keep an Orange Micro-Terror tucked away in my roadcase. Takes up hardly any room, can run any cab up to a Marshall 4X12 at gig volume, and has a decent gain level in case the pedalboard goes south.

15. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

I carry a Blackstar HT-1R Head & a Joyo AC Tone amp simulator pedal. I've used both in a pinch. They each sound great after my Pedalboard, direct into the PA.

16. buddhuu

buddhuu Tele-Meister

This, but in my case it's a Zoom G3X.

dotpc likes this.
  17. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Actually, many, many years ago my Mk 1 Sessionette went down on a gig by cooking its ILP power-amp module and I had to use my old Zoom 2020 MFX straight into the PA in the same way. Awkward, because its direct cab-voiced output is a 3.5mm (1/8") miniature TRS jack. Luckily I had an appropriate connection in my kit. No amp models as such, just effects patches, but it got me through the gig. I still use it for most work with my own band in preference to my pedalboard or my own G3.

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I do the same thing. Lately I've been gigging two Avatar Vinage cabs (1 x 12's) and a Blackstar 20 watt head. I doubt that the Blackstar and both 1 x 12's could ever fail. If the Blackstar died I would use the Micro Terror and one 1 x 12.

I used to keep a Pro Junior in my car as a spare.

You have to have a contingency plan.

19. jwag

jwag Tele-Meister

I just started bringing a backup within the last six months. My lead guitarist uses my Classic 50 head, after having both of his amps fail within a month. I bought the Classic 50 off CL, and don't know it's history. That's why I bring a Peavey Delta Blues as a backup.

20. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

I have a different load-out depending on the gig. Any gig in which I am playing acoustic I have my POD all geared up to go direct and it's as easy and switching to my bank of "electric direct" patches.

For shows where we bring our own PA I always bring an old Yamaha GC-50 to use as a powered monitor which I also use as a practice amp - it's really easy to dial in and takes pedals well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.