Backup amp for gigs...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by noname_dragon, Jun 23, 2020.

1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

My boss ME80 multifx would just go direct to PA. So I just carry a 12' 1/8"-XLR patch cable.

telestratosonic likes this.
  2. sluglas

sluglas TDPRI Member

Like others say, either an older Peavey bandit or a Roland cube ( I prefer the cube 80xl) both very dependable

3. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

I never bring a backup amp. I keep em maintained and I trust 'em.

stevemc likes this.
  4. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

+1000 on that! No matter how well maintained, it's never a 100% guarantee that an amp is failsafe. Ask me how I know!! The last thing you want to be doing is troubleshooting on a dimly lit stage.

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Right now I'm bringing ( and sometimes using it as my OD) a Bad Monkey as my backup amp.
    I can use it first in line on pedalboard as my primary OD ( using the AMP/OUT jack), as it has a moderate grind and good OD tone.

If something goes wrong with an amp ( rare, but it happens) I move the pedal to LAST in line ( so I can still use other pedals, just 3) and use the Monkey's MIXER/OUT jack into an channel input ( line level) of our PA.
    it has a speaker emulator circuit so an electric sounds like an electric, AND Monkey's OD does NOT have to be on for it to do this, just plugged in. So you can still have Clean/Dirty options
    Not perfect but cheap, it works, and I'm too old and weak to schlep a 2nd amp!
    20200623_184334.jpg

6. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Quilter Pro Block 200. For some gigs it's the only amp I bring, but it makes a good backup to my old tube amps, small, sturdy, can power a cab or go direct to the board, sounds good. I love playing with my 53-year-old Bassman, but it's nice to have a backup, and sometimes I'm too lazy to bring the Bassman and cabinet. The Quilter would be perfect for fly gigs, but I don't have those anymore.

stormsedge and telestratosonic like this.
  7. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Best backup rig I have used..... plug it into a 1x10 Weber 100 watt ported speaker cab......kicks some serious butt.

[​IMG]

8. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I've been bringing my 5e3 clone and 5b3 clone and a Joyo American dream pedal as a backup backup. Never had to use the pedal but it's there just in case.

9. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I’ve got an early 80s Bandit 65 that I usually carry as a backup. It’s been indestructible (so far), loud enough to keep up with pretty much any gig, sounds pretty good at lower volumes too, and if it got stolen out of my car, it wouldn’t be a great financial loss (I paid $50 for it). I have only had to use it twice, but it’s been there for me when I needed it and always come thru. And on one other occasion, the bass player’s amp wasn’t working and he wound up playing thru the Bandit. Fortunately it was a mega low volume gig.

Ironically (for this thread at least) one of the amps the Bandit had to sub for was a Blues Jr lol.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Joyo American Sound pedal $30 can go direct to a PA. Good to carry in the gig bag.

Bandit is a great option. You might actually play the Bandit and use the other amp as the backup ;)

Jakedog who posted previously gigged bars for a time with an Orange 35RT which is very light weight.

This guy converted a practice amp to a head and runs it through a big cabinet, here he shows a couple other similar amps where he added speaker output jacks.

Another cross over pedal/amp

11. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

My back-up amp is an old Line 6 amp.

If I have to use the Line 6 I'll leave it on the clean setting and use my pedal board for overdrive/distortion.

12. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I always bring a backup, and it's nearly always my Peavey Vypyr VIP 2.

It's a solid-state modeling amp, designed to be able to emulate the tones of a variety of vintage tube amps. 40 watt, 1x12.

So lightweight and versatile, it's scary.

Will function as an electric guitar amp, acoustic amp, or bass amp.
    And I have been to jobs where it was put to use as all of the above.
    You only have to have your bass player's rig to crap out one time to appreciate how handy this particular model is.

Tons of effects and amp models, and really user-friendly. I bought it on a whim in 2013, and have been really happy with that decision ever since.

;)

maxresdefault.jpg

13. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I use a Palmer Pocket Amp MkII.

Small, robust, versatile, great sound.

14. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

EHX 22 Caliber

15. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I'd like to try one of them some day. The good tones and simplicity has always intrigued me.
    Do you run it in front of the amp normally, and the plan if the amp went down would be to just go direct,,,or do you bring it along but not use it?

Jakedog likes this.
  16. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I bring a backup amp, just two 1x12 combos. My band has a couple confirmed & not cancelled gigs in August.

I'll use my H&K 20th Anniversary as primary and bring a Peavey Classic 30 as spare.

My Vox Tonelab is the brains, I play in a band with a wide variety of music and have a lot of patches programmed. If the Tonelab went down I could use either amp (both are two channel) and my TS-9 & other pedals to make it thru a night.

17. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I vote fly or an older Tech 21 Tri AC if you don’t need the fx loop/reverb.

18. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

A FlyRig RK v2 and a ZT lunchbox amp are my go-to backups. Small and lightweight, they have bailed me out more than once.

19. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don’t have it yet. It’s on order.

I plan to use it as my backup amp, not in front of an amp. I also have plans to use it for some small gigs where stage/room volume can be a problem or a challenge. I’ll run it direct and not have to worry about an amp at all.

telestratosonic and joe_cpwe like this.
  20. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I bought the Tech 21 Acoustic Fly Rig last fall. It's impressive! I plug it right into my PA. First time I ever bought a pedal and I was not disappointed.

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.