1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Backing track recording help needed,

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by ASATKat, Jan 23, 2021.

1. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Holic

I have the Behringer U-PHORIA 2 channel, great value. I use it when I want to mic something, recording both channels at once can be cool. I can't perceive any noticeable audio quality drop off running direct from my Fender Mustang I v.2. amp directly into Garageband. You have the option to set the playback device of your choice. You are not limited to listening to headphones through the amp.

@ASATKat is blazing his own trail, which is also cool. :)

estreet and tintag27 like this.
  2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

When you use the USB recording on the Katana the output from the DAW is only available from the Katana headphone output.

kat-usb-rec.png

I've used the Katana headphone out into my USB interface (currently a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) for the last 4 years without problems. It's much simpler than using the Katana itself as the interface.

3. estreet

estreet Tele-Holic

That wouldn't be the case in Garageband or anything on a Mac - you can select different input and output sources, including USB in, analog out. As it happens I also use a Focusrite Scarlett and as I said before I agree that's a better way to go - but if money was tight I think it can be done without it.

4. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Yes I understand that, do you understand that not everybody uses a Mac/Garageband so it doesn't apply?

5. estreet

estreet Tele-Holic

Of course I do, no need to get annoyed. I was merely clarifying the concept of using just the USB output from the Katana (as @MrClint had suggested) with Garageband - which you may have somewhat confused by coming in with:

'Which in turn brings its own problems, not least of which being having to monitor via headphones plugged into the amp, in mono.'

and:

'I was just pointing out the problems with the suggestions of using the Katana'

Because in neither case did you make it clear that this was a problem only with the Windows setup that you use.

6. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just a side point here... What are you paying Soundcloud for - is that the Pro account?
    I have a couple of dozen tunes on there, they are just for my own amusement. I don't think I have much capacity left but I've never had to pay Soundcloud anything.

7. tintag27

I use the Behringer 202 as well - I'm glad I bought it!

8. estreet

estreet Tele-Holic

No, you don't have to pay for the 'Pro' account as long as you are happy to stick with the upload space that comes free. I used to have the Pro version but as a locked-down musician who can't work I have to watch every penny. What you can do is just start another free account with a different e-mail address and use that to capacity as well. I have five now!

tintag27 likes this.
  9. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The internals of the amp are still wired the same way. Boss makes no distinction between the two operating systems it can be connected to. Does a Mac instantly make it stereo too?

10. tintag27

Thanks - that's a good tip!

11. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

Garageband and a cheap interface is a great way to go. It does everything you need and more.

And if you're on a Mac already, you can easily upgrade to Logic. It's already cheap at $200, but Apple never discounts it. You can, however, buy iTunes gift cards for 20% off from time to time, and use those to buy Logic. Comes out to around $160 for a full-fledged, professional DAW. I find it easier to use than GB, which is kinda dumbed-down on the surface, so you need to learn where things are hidden.

12. estreet

estreet Tele-Holic

I think you may misunderstand the suggestion. The normal analog audio output socket of the Mac would have headphones plugged into it or it could be connected to an amp and stereo speakers. Backing tracks and anything else done on the Mac would remain in stereo and be monitored in stereo. As your diagram shows, the USB output of the Katana is stereo on the guitar signal, so it would record to Garageband in stereo and be monitored in stereo.

13. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Maybe you should buy me a Mac.

Otherwise, just take my original post as advice for anybody, like me, with WINDOWS and get off my case.

14. estreet

estreet Tele-Holic

I am not on your case and have no desire to be - I'm just trying to offer what I think is good, helpful, easy to understand advice. Your original post was to claim a flaw with MrClint's suggestion:

'Which in turn brings it's own problems, not least of which being having to monitor via headphones plugged into the amp, in mono.' ...

... and he was talking about using a Mac. As a sweeping statement, it isn't correct. No mention of Windows was made.

I'm not looking for a cyber-punch up with you @beagle. All the crap going on in the world, I'm sure as hell not going to fall out over this.
    Sorry if you took it as such.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    klasaine likes this.
  15. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Holic

As long as everyone is playing music, recording and having a good time, I think we're done here. Good stuff. Keep rockin' good people!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.