1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Backing track recording help needed,

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by ASATKat, Jan 23, 2021.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I have been using my new Zoom Hn4 Pro recorder, 4 tracks, minimal editing.

Pros,
    * Direct connection to Soundcloud by way of the computer usb. Super cool
    * Very good mics
    * Easy to use.
    Etc,,

Cons,
    * No real editing tools like snipping off a too long ending.
    * No Mark's for editing specific parts or moving sections around.
    * No real storage for works in progress
    Etc,,

I own a year 2000 16 track Korg recorder with a very nice selection of editing tool, it records great, has plenty of storage, etc. My problem is it has no usb for clean computer transfering. It does have 1/4" jack's and balanced xlr. How good are xlr cables vs usb transfer?

My thought was to do the main recording with my H4n and the Korg for direct or my 57 mic, then back into the H4n as a two track stereo, then use the H4n's clever way of connecting to Soundcloud.

Soundcloud is pissing me off because I actually have been paying monthly $16 plus a mystery charge of $6 bucks for nothing, and I can't contact a living real person to get my money back, I've tried. YouTube is looking more attractive, so is Soundclick.

My big question is, can I use my old 16 track and maintain a good quality signal? What might get compromised sound quality wise.

Finally, why should I just get a computer based daw and be done with it.

I've used Korg daw recorders for years and know them fairly well,
    I hear people have great success with their home recording process, I want to upgrade and hopefully use what I've already for the upgrade (editing wise).

What would you do? I'm More curious than dumb, I mean I am computer dumb but slowly rising in smarts.

Thanks, Cliff

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  2. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You're saying you'll take the analog line out of the Korg into the Zoom, right? As long as signal levels are good (strong, not clipping) and noise is low it should be fine. Try it with a totally quiet track, too, to see if clock noise is getting into the analog path, though. Certainly worth a shot if you like these tools.

ASATKat likes this.
  3. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

What is clock noise?

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

My recording setup is all direct-in although I could use a mic if I didn't mind picking up the macaw screaming in the background from time to time. I send the guitar signal into my old Behringer EuroRack mixer and use its tape out plug to go into my PC using a RCA to 3.5mm converter cable. I've considered getting a new USB digital based mixer but I've been happy with the setup I'm using. I've got a few different DAWs on my PC, mainly for synth use, but I mainly use Audacity for recording guitar since it's quick and easy to use.

On putting stuff on YouTube, I stopped doing that for the Twanger tracks and covers due to the risk of copyright strikes. Even a couple of my original songs were flagged as violations but I won the disputes in the end.

ASATKat likes this.
  5. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

6. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

These are both digital recorders with a lot of clocked circuits: analog to digital converters, digital signal processing, probably a microcontroller for the user interface. The digital circuits draw a spike of current at each clock edge that causes noise and ripple on the supply and ground for the digital circuits. It has a lot of high frequency harmonics. If that couples into the analog signal you can hear 'crunchy' noise, possibly intermittent. (For example I had an amp I tried to go direct into a recorder with, and kept getting a slow swell of noise if I had an effect enabled.)

It can be more of a problem when connecting two different pieces of equipment that have different clocks... the high frequency harmonics can mix down to lower frequencies in the data converter if the filtering is not good.

But, if the equipment is designed well and still in good shape, etc. it won't be a problem.

ASATKat likes this.
  7. estreet

estreet Tele-Holic

I think that mastering onto the Zoom will sound just fine. However, I will drone on with my usual Mantra: get yourself a Mac with Garageband - just for music if you are a normally a PC guy. I have several Macs of varying ages in the house and the 11 year old one in my studio still works great on Garageband 6, which was fab even then. Someone would probably give you a Mac of that age or you'd pay next to nothing for it. These days I import the files into Logic but I stayed on Garageband 6 for years and even recorded and mixed albums that were commercially released and played on national radio with it.

8. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

9. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You need a computer to go with that kind of USB interface. It comes with a version of Studio One, so you would have the software, but you need a computer to run it on, either a Mac or a PC. I have a feeling from previous conversations that you are computerless, though I may be wrong. For a backing track and a couple of other tracks, you don't need a powerful one.

ASATKat likes this.
  10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Soundclick is great. I use the non-premium free version. No complaints--except for their popularity points ("Number 1 sub-genre for a week!"), which are complete BS. I have no need for that stuff.

ASATKat and SRHmusic like this.
  11. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Holic

I would echo what @estreet offered, my attempts to use a number of DAWs with a PC was an exercise in futility. It became a huge battle against latency. A mac with Garageband was drop dead simple --totally plug and play. I would also add that since you have a Katana amp you can record directly via USB into whatever DAW you choose. No need to futz around with audio interfaces or mics.

estreet likes this.
  12. estreet

estreet Tele-Holic

Excellent point about the Katana @MrClint - makes the whole process as cheap and simple as possible then. just drag the backing track into GB, create an audio track and you're off. FX, loops and mastering facilities all on hand if you want them. If you don't want to invest money or house room in another computer system you could buy an old iMac or laptop just to do this. - even a G4 iBook ran Garageband 6 just fine. And yes, Garageband is a cinch to use - leave the average 12 year old alone with it for the afternoon and they'll have written a song using the supplied loops.

MrClint and fendrguitplayr like this.
  13. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

+1 on both estreet's and MrClint's posts.

MrClint likes this.
  14. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Which in turn brings it's own problems, not least of which being having to monitor via headphones plugged into the amp, in mono.

15. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Get yourself an inexpensive USB audio interface. The Behringer UM2 ($50) is the absolute best one in the "affordable" category if you're recording one track at a time:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UM2usb--behringer-u-phoria-um2-usb-audio-interface

It contains 1/4" and XLR input jacks, as well as input gain control. It also has a stereo headphone out with volume control--use that to monitor. It also supplies 48v phantom power on the XLR input for any mic that requires it. This little box is a screamin' deal for home recording.

I use this interface with Garage Band on an iPad and there is zero latency.

klasaine and Mjark like this.
  16. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I use one as well into a PC/Cakewalk.

Peegoo likes this.
  17. estreet

estreet Tele-Holic

Well, you can set the input in Garageband to the USB from the Katana and the output to your normal speakers. I guess there could be latency issues but I don't know. If money isn't a big issue then I agree it's preferable to use an interface - and you would need one if you wanted to use a mic for singing, acoustic guitar etc.

18. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Good advice, thanks. However I do typically prefer a decent mic recording my speaker over simulations. It really depends. I've always been able to go direct into my H4n Pro recorder.

As far as using my Korg daw, my loving cat peed on the power pack that had vents recently $$$ and, well, Garage Band or Prosonis is sounding better.

In reality my cat, my chimes, if they get caught in my live recording it's a badge of honor sort of.
    Hire me (lol) and my recording will be anything you want. Seriously though, I need the money, teaching guitar right now? Forget it. Sucks how it crumbled.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  19. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I was just pointing out the problems with the suggestions of using the Katana, I've been using USB interfaces for donkeys years.

Peegoo likes this.
  20. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

But not with Reaper, or anything else, in Windows which I use...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.