Backing Track Challenge 365 Rock

JCL50

Tele-Holic
I agree with @Mjark, there are 4 chords, it's Am F C G, It's all diatonic to Am, or C its relative major.

Like @ASATKat said, Em and Dm pentatonic scales are included in A minor / C major. You can play E and D minor pentatonic scales at certain times
A minor works on all the chords
D minor is the relative minor of F so it works well on the F
E minor is the relative minor of G so it works well on the F

There another concept I like (taken from Guthrie Trapp's Youtube channel): if you can add a passing chord while playing the rythm, then you can use its notes while you improvise

I hope it makes sense, I'm not really into music theory.

ghostchord

Tele-Holic
in the beginning you sound insecure, having not really an idea where to go to. But that changes considerably in the second half of your track. This is at least my impression, wonder if you felt that too?

My mindset in the beginning was trying to focus on staying "in the pocket" so I guess I wasn't paying attention to anything else ;) When I listen to my recording it seems like it's just inconsistent in general, there's parts where things seem to work better and other parts where they don't. Mostly just a matter of jamming vs. planning/composing. The very end bit worked fairly well. I think my start with the Am "arpeggio" is ok, then it goes to some fairly annoying pentatonic sequence, then I moved a little up the neck which made it a touch more interesting and also brought in some notes from the full scale. Keeping this big gain/distortion under control where very tiny mistake/touch turns into a huge sound is also a challenge especially with how I'm recording (DI/GarageBand with a mix of the raw signal and the processed signal back to my headphones).

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
I agree with @Mjark, there are 4 chords, it's Am F C G, It's all diatonic to Am, or C its relative major.

Like @ASATKat said, Em and Dm pentatonic scales are included in A minor / C major. You can play E and D minor pentatonic scales at certain times

There another concept I like (taken from Guthrie Trapp's Youtube channel): if you can add a passing chord while playing the rythm, then you can use its notes while you improvise

Actually, I meant for the pents to be potentially blended all within one bar. D minor can work fine over the Cmaj7 as long as you resolve into something more related to C like A minor and E minor pents. All three pents have elements of each other built in. For example, DFGAC has 3 notes found in E pent and 3 notes found in A pent, all the pents work this way. It all works over all the 4 backer chords because they all are part of the C major scale family of notes. It's a game of tension and resolution or breath in breath out if you like, the backbone of jazz.

Last edited:

JCL50

Tele-Holic
I was talking about easy to feel things. When one plays Em penta on F chord, that's tension, but OK, if the resolution is good, it'll sound great.

udoering

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
@SbS : your clean sound works well with the bt; got some nice lines in there.
@alainvey : nice to hear from you again! Very good playing in different styles, fun to listen.
@bullfrogblues : I am absolutely delighted! You sound as if you invented these chord changes; love the harmonizes guitars and the theme you invented.

JCL50

Tele-Holic
You guys are all talking over my head!!
I just try to play something that sounds good in the changes! Hence this humble attempt!
You're right. That's the kind of things I like to think about and practice with my little ditto looper ;). When comes the time to play, no time to think, the important is then to feel the changes and sound good in them.
You do that great!

Headless Axeman

Tele-Meister
Hey all-- I'm looking to start making some (very much beginner-level) attempts at some of the backing tracks but ... how exactly do I record them?

I'm playing through my THR10ii. I can stream the backing track from my phone to the amp, and can connect the amp to my macbook, and I figured I could just open up garageband and record it. But when I did that, only the guitar track came through and not the backing track. Could someone please explain to me like I'm five years old? I'm guessing I have to download the backing track into garageband?

Thanks.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
At first I was a little afraid because this track also had no chord changes, but it was much easier to cope than the last one. Mesa Express blues and crunch mode, St Vincent and Albert Lee MP90. Some little warts included.

There are chord changes, but all diatonic-- no modulation.

bullfrogblues

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Could someone please explain to me like I'm five years old? I'm guessing I have to download the backing track into garageband?

Thanks.
I use Garageband but on an iMac, but similar. What I have to do is create a new project and shrink the Garageband to half a page. I keep the backing tracks in Finder, so I find the track I want and just click and drag it into the right hand side of the open Garageband page. I have to do that with .mp3 and .wav files. Hope that explains it.
@Headless Axeman if this needs more explaining, feel free to inbox me and I can make some screen shots that might help.

Last edited:

Headless Axeman

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the help, @Mjark and @bullfrogblues. That was pretty obvious in retrospect. First time using this stuff.

Anyhow, here's my sloppy, way overdriven shot at it. Mostly just playing the A minor scale up and down the neck with some focus on the pentatonic, and following my ear. I really don't have a vocabulary of phrases or common soloing techniques to rely on. Lots to work on!