Here's this week's track. Enjoy!
288798519_556068486006996_5588016847846002651_n.jpg

Track Download 2:58
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14455939

jazztrumpeter77

NEW MEMBER!
Thanks Mel,

Funky Monkey Blues

Hello, I don't know how this blog works, I'm new here - would you mind checking the Bucky Pizzarelli's The Creative guitar post you've made? I'm looking for that book - and haven't found it - and would like to know whether you could help me to get a PDF of it. I'd pay you for that. Thanks

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
Hello, I don't know how this blog works, I'm new here - would you mind checking the Bucky Pizzarelli's The Creative guitar post you've made? I'm looking for that book - and haven't found it - and would like to know whether you could help me to get a PDF of it. I'd pay you for that. Thanks
Hi, yes the book is one of the best chord melody books for beginners to intermediates. It uses three note chords throughout and that is a great start.

The biggest problem is there are numerous mistakes in typesetting. At first it was a bummer till I realized all the mistakes can be fixed or written correctly by using a pencil and piece of paper, rewrite the book and fix it as I went. Imo rewriting is an excellent way to work through the book, or any book.

Basically the concept uses drop 2 omit 3 voicings, something taught at Berklee.
Here is an example of how it works.

Start with four note 7th chords, let's use Cmaj7.
CEGB. This is called close voiced meaning the intervals can't get any closer. It makes more sense to view it like a stack,
B
G
E
C
Then you give the notes a number,
B 1
G 2
E 3
C 4

Next take the 2nd note and drop it down an octave
B
E
C
G
This is called drop 2.

Next omit the C note, the 3rd note in the new stack
B
E
--
G

There are so many advantages in writing chords like this, one of the biggest advantages is minimal finger replacements.

Here is the C major scale using this voicing, in tab.

These are the chords names,
Cmaj7 Dm7 Em7 Fmaj7
G7 Am7 Bm7b5 Cmaj7

C....D....E....F....G....A.... B​

------------------------------------------
-5----6----8--10---12---13---15
-4----5----7----9---10---12---14
-3----5----7----8---10---12---14

Basically, put your pinky on the top note, Index on the bottom note, and the ring on the middle note. You can play the whole thing without lifting or using any other fingers. But there are other fingerings for variety and accommodating other situations like melodies to go with the chords.

This is only step one but all the steps are just as easy.

My thought is Bucky didn't proofread it after typesetting and the dumb mistakes stayed. Sad. Fortunately fixing the mistakes that are easy to fix will really heighten your knowledge, in fact I never finished the corrections because a big light bulb went off in my head and it clicked.

Because of the mistakes and the need to rewrite parts I found just sending photos of the pages works fine and you rewrite it from that.

Thoughts?

I think this book could have been one of the best if Bucky only checked the typesetters work before publication. Still it's a great book that goes for around $150. But I won't sell my copy, no way. I'll wait till it reaches $500 lol.

Another even more excellent book filled with mistakes is Jimmy Wyble's book The Art Of Two Line Improvisation. I got hold of an original copy in a hick music store in Arkansas. It was a acoustic bluegrass store that was barely staying open with two guys talking about fishing a zero customers. I found the book in a cart of books that were going to be tossed. They said the book sat there for twenty years and no one ever looked at it. I got it for 50 cents. I've now had it for 30 years. Full of mistakes until David Oates rewrote it and fixed all the mistakes. It is now available through Mel Bay. If you like Julian Lage and dig his two line counterpoint then this is the book for you. The only book of its kind in the whole universe. Crazy cool stuff that I try to put into practice here at tdpri at a simplistic level. The original book is also worth some money and I will never sell it but I've worked with David Oakes version a bit, it's pretty darn hard cool stuff.

Last edited: