Backing Track Challenge - 353 Hard Rock

alainvey

Tele-Holic
Good effort everyone!

@Mjark I liked the spacey tone you used, and also the use of the move from the 4th to the major 3rd that sounds great over this mixolydian kind of thingy. Also you evidently spent time learning the more rhythmic parts and accompanying them appropriately.

@JCL50 Also very well played - cool tone, and I agree with Mark about your approach to the rhythmic/percussive sections.

@bigbreak Hey, an organ is cheating! Really like the harmonica-esque lead parts, very vocal and musical. Organ bits were awesome.

@Alan L Cole I liked the outside playing, makes me think of Shawn Lane in places - I think he often takes things up chromatically in that very tense kind of way :D Tone is pretty cool, and some fiery pentatonic stuff too!

Here's my take. It didn't occur to me to approach this any other way. I was too lazy to even contemplate doing anything other than making noise in the band unison things.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Thanks Mike!

Way outside my wheelhouse.

Hey Mjark; if that’s outside your wheelhouse you make a pretty good show of it! In various places your tone and phrasing and...note envelope management?...made me think of sax lines. In other places it made me think of Jerry Garcia-type melodic playing. In no places did it sound trite or hackneyed. Pretty cool delay settings too.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Good effort everyone!

@Mjark I liked the spacey tone you used, and also the use of the move from the 4th to the major 3rd that sounds great over this mixolydian kind of thingy. Also you evidently spent time learning the more rhythmic parts and accompanying them appropriately.

@JCL50 Also very well played - cool tone, and I agree with Mark about your approach to the rhythmic/percussive sections.

@bigbreak Hey, an organ is cheating! Really like the harmonica-esque lead parts, very vocal and musical. Organ bits were awesome.

@Alan L Cole I liked the outside playing, makes me think of Shawn Lane in places - I think he often takes things up chromatically in that very tense kind of way :D Tone is pretty cool, and some fiery pentatonic stuff too!

Here's my take. It didn't occur to me to approach this any other way. I was too lazy to even contemplate doing anything other than making noise in the band unison things.

I dig how you’re just milking those screamy high artifacts out; reminds me in that way (and tonally also to some degree) of Earl Slick’s part in the song “Men Without Shame.”

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's

By the time I reached this age I thought I would be Bebop Larry, but I can't even get a good jazz tone.
But I can meander and lollygag... And here...
Blistering no, blustering most definitely yes! Tons of fun on an old Jackson.

I only ran it through a couple times, maybe three, through my looper, but I had such a long tape delay that first whammy bar lick is actually from the end of the song, which came back around again, then I just harmonized with myself sort of, and play every lick I could think of, pushing boxes on and off and panning. Tons of fun thank you!!!
Edit-I just gave it another listening and I think I forgot to push save after my Harmony parts... Yes there were actually more parts...frown

Re-Edit- I went ahead and added the other parts back- because I thought it was a little sparse HAHAHA https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14433797

Attachments

• IMG_20220220_122824.jpg
    IMG_20220220_122824.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Hey Mjark; if that’s outside your wheelhouse you make a pretty good show of it! In various places your tone and phrasing and...note envelope management?...made me think of sax lines. In other places it made me think of Jerry Garcia-type melodic playing. In no places did it sound trite or hackneyed. Pretty cool delay settings too.
Thanks for listening and commenting!

udoering

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
@Mjark : I can only second what alainvey has wirtten, he nailed it.
@JCL50 : I was surprised that you played it relatively relaxed, not to fast. Sounds good. Did you use a wah pedal? Sometimes I missed some treble in your guitar sound. You handled that c part well.
@bigbreak : guitar is very expressive, especially during the openig resp. when it comes in later again. Love the organ.
@Alan L Cole : again I can point to what alainvey already has written. I may add I wished you´d play a little more (not completely) inside the box, I am a bit conservative :)
@alainvey : I had an idea what I could exspect from you, and I was not disappointed. Great sound, wild ride. Thumps up!
@ASATKat : multiple, harmonized guitars had come to my mind before I started, but I had enought work to get on track completed. Cudos!
@TwoBear : you really went wild with this track, lovely hardrock lines that evolve into a soundscape.

JCL50

Tele-Holic
@JCL50 : I was surprised that you played it relatively relaxed, not to fast. Sounds good. Did you use a wah pedal? Sometimes I missed some treble in your guitar sound. You handled that c part well.
Thanks!
That's about as fast as I can get and I'm not playing super clean :cry: but I'm still working on it. It was not a wah but a phaser. About the lack of treble, you must be right, I've put a low pass maybe i shouldn't have. There's clearly something I must be doing wrong in my recording process, the guitar often finishes a little buried in the mix.