Backing Track Challenge - 351 John Mayer Style

Len058

Tele-Meister
I had to do my taxes today. Having a small business makes that a bit more complicated than I would like. I really wanted to do some roaring distorted tones but oh well, this also made me relax.
It's the Fernades into the Oceans 11 spring reverb into the diy Champ Micro with a touch of compression and a stereo enhancer.

udoering

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
@Raimonds : solid, melodious guitar work. Like the slowness of your playing, I know you can be fast.
@SbS : seems you were extremely relaxed when recording this. The two guitars go very well together, very good!
@Mellencaster did you play the harmonica!? Nice addition anyhow. Guitar work is excellent, as stated already.
@JCL50 : great stuff, man, great stuff! Sweet sound, expressive playing. Love those little fast runs in between.
@ASATKat : lovely version! Your playing gives the track a dreamy vibe. Sometimes I had to think of hawaian music.
@Len058 : veeery nice! You hat a catchy line to start with, very gentle playing with the perfect sound for this.
@SRHmusic : and the next great track. Your playing is so sweet and delicate.

alainvey

Tele-Holic
I really enjoyed your playing and approach on this. Also your recorded tone is very good. I'm not so happy with clean sounds in my setup. Could you comment on your setup? Thanks
Thanks very much!

I'm glad you liked the sound - I'm still getting used to my current setup and new guitar so it's good to get some positive feedback on the tone.

I'm using a NU-X MG30 processor/modelling unit for everything. I am running it into the flat channel of a v1 Yamaha THR10, so I'm using that as a monitor and audio interface. The THR10 goes into my laptop, where I'm using Cubase (free version that came with the THR).

I could have the MG30 act as the interface and have the audio from the PC go to the THR, but if I'm honest I found that trickier to get working so stuck with this way!

I'm just using a preset called "Joko Krunch". The amp is a JCM800 model, believe it or not. The preset is quite gainy, so I turned the guitar volume down to 4 or something like that. Some EQ, delay, and hall reverb on the patch too.

The guitar is a cheap JET guitars strat with ceramic pups. I added a resistor to the neck pup to make it sound less bright, but otherwise it's stock. Kind of surprised it sounds as good as it does tbh (microphonic as hell, so will replace the pups at some point).

If that's overkill then I just recommend using a modern modelling unit with IR cabinet modelling (NU-X MG30, Line6 HX Stomp or Pod Go, Headrush MX5, Mooer and Hotone offer them as well) - money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks very much!

I'm glad you liked the sound - I'm still getting used to my current setup and new guitar so it's good to get some positive feedback on the tone.

I'm using a processor/modelling unit for everything. I am running it into the flat channel of a v1 Yamaha THR10, so I'm using that as a monitor and audio interface. The THR10 goes into my laptop, where I'm using Cubase (free version that came with the THR).

I could have the MG30 act as the interface and have the audio from the PC go to the THR, but if I'm honest I found that trickier to get working so stuck with this way!

I'm just using a preset called "Joko Krunch". The amp is a JCM800 model, believe it or not. The preset is quite gainy, so I turned the guitar volume down to 4 or something like that. Some EQ, delay, and hall reverb on the patch too.

The guitar is a cheap JET guitars strat with ceramic pups. I added a resistor to the neck pup to make it sound less bright, but otherwise it's stock. Kind of surprised it sounds as good as it does tbh (microphonic as hell, so will replace the pups at some point).

If that's overkill then I just recommend using a modern modelling unit with IR cabinet modelling (NU-X MG30, Line6 HX Stomp or Pod Go, Headrush MX5, Mooer and Hotone offer them as well) - money well spent as far as I'm concerned.
Great, thank you for the details. I've been using software modeling (AmpliTube), and figured a dedicated DSP modeller might be better. (Next time I might just mic and record my amp.)
Interesting, I found I get better tone through my interface with ceramic pickups than my others.