Backing Track Challenge - 350 Blues Ballad

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks for the theory lesson, I hope I'll remember the flat note thing. The first was C minor pentatonic, the second C major pentatonic. The same shape but one with the pinky at the root, other the index finger. I think in shapes an learn to find the right notes by trial and error. Can't get my brain to remember all the notes and theory around it.
View attachment 977025
Your lesson made me realize the relative minor/major stuff is in this shape. This shape at the 5th fret is A minor and it's relative C major. Just pick the second note as root (I knew that but never saw the connection)
At the 5th it's A minor and C major.
The C major scale just has a few extra notes, one of those (F) overlaps with the minor pentatonic, two notes of the minor pentatonic are indeed flat (Bb,Eb) in relation to the major but one of those (Eb) is a blue note of the relative minor of C major, A minor. So that's giving version one the extra blue feeling. Kind of a very blue, blue note and yeah one eerie, wrong note.

So many words to say you got me a little bit further in the theory. Good job!
Actually the straight up minor blues pent is out of tune in G blues. The unbent minor 3rd Bb, that sits naturally on the fretboard is too flat. It's good for chords but is bad for single note blues. Blues playing takes the Bb and bends it up, > a 1/4 step <, a note found in-between the Bb and B in the key of G, it's called a microbend.This weird new slightly bent note is at the heart of the coolest notes in blues, the notes that get stretched out with emotion, the money notes.

In the case of G minor blues you go back to the unbent Bb and stay away from micro bending it.

Last edited:

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
You can use all your blues stuff, but use E minor scales. It's the 6th mode of G major, the Key this tune is in.

Actually the straight up minor blues pent is out of tune in G blues. The unbent minor 3rd Bb, that sits naturally on the fretboard is too flat. It's good for chords but is bad for single note blues. Blues playing takes the Bb and bends it up, > a 1/4 step <, a note found in-between the Bb and B in the key of G, it's called a microbend.This weird new slightly bent note is at the heart of the coolest notes in blues, the notes that get stretched out with emotion, the money notes.

In the case of G minor blues you go back to the unbent Bb and stay away from micro bending it.

Good points, all around. Allow me to humbly submit that this particular track is in C. (in case anyone gets confused, eh?) Your observations all apply, though, in C. ;):D

I charted it as:
key: C, 6/8 I I ii ii V V I I bVII V V or C C Dm Dmi G G C C Bb G G

Last edited:

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Here's this week's track. Enjoy!

360_F_145722173_jqBN9QpgawBKCiYlphh3xWwothvqZpg8.jpg

Track Download 3:12
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14423518

The Old line used to be ''well it's 12:00 somewhere"... This is what happens when I mix rum with my coffee much earlier than that...

In my defense, didn't everyone want to be an Oscar Meyer Weiner? That is what I truly tried to play...harhdeharhar!

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
Good points, all around. Allow me to humbly submit that this particular track is in C. (in case anyone gets confused, eh?) Your observations all apply, though, in C. ;):D

I charted it as:
key: C, 6/8 I I ii ii V V I I bVII V V or C C Dm Dmi G G C C Bb G G
Just came back to this thread. Without reading everything again, this song is absolutely in C major.
However the Bb chord is a blues move using the C minor blues pents, but just for that one chord, then it must go back into C major.

I think of the Bb as the b7 in a C7 blues. So for that one measure the song becomes a C7 blues.

Blues uses five chords, major triads on every note of the minor pent scale, in this case a C7 blues uses the
C Eb F G Bb chords, it can also use dominant chords
C7 Eb7 F7 G7 Bb7 for rhythm chords and soloing.

But again, once the song moves past that one bar of Bb chord it must go back to C major. Those chords being
Cmaj7 Dm7 Em7 Fmaj7 G7 Am7 Bm7b5 and all the endless "mixing up" of those sounds.

Last edited: