Backing Track Challenge - 350 Blues Ballad

Len058

Tele-Meister
Thanks! It was either doing this or finishing the fret replacement of the Fernandes Strat. It was my brothers guitar but he trashed the frets with rusty strings. It has a cheap Chinese neck now but it's thin and flat. My parts-jazzmaster has a chunky flat radius Chinese neck, which I like better, so I'm curious about a vintage style 9,5 radius neck. I used to own a Japanese Fender but it got stolen about 30 years ago so I can't compare the feeling anymore. I really miss that guitar but hopefully the Fernandes (lawsuit era) will not disappoint in it's original glory.
Blabla, here's my take, playing on the filtertron knockoff equipped partsmaster

udoering

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
@bullfrogblues : sweet sound, you also play it like a vocal line.
@SbS : fuzz face? really? I have to admit I don´t hear it. However, sounds good; definitely like the interplay of the two guitars.
@fendrguitplayr : I don´t hear that you can´t play as usual. You played it slow, but that fits well to the bt, like Mark did. Expressive, with a beautiful clean sound.
@belleswell : I am not sure about your contribution. First thing is, I hear both guitars on the right side, maybe centred, but not clearly seperated. You dialed in beautiful sounds, and played great lines; but then are parts where one guitar sounds out of tune. As I know the quality of your tracks ans the precision you are capable of, I wonder if this was intentionally "lo-fi"?
@Mellencaster : sounds very old-fashioned with that very clean and a little thin sounding guitar.
@ASATKat : I dig your slow pace, very structured playing; sounds like composed, read music, and I mean this as a compliment.
@Len058 : I am not sure, but your track sounds as if you used the minor scale mostly, which no one else did, I think. So it was a quite different vibe, and my ears had to get used to it. But then it really worked.
@estreet : beautiful! Reminds me of instrumental guitar music on the radio when I was a little child (which is a long time ago). Love the volume sweels.
@bgmacaw : nice version, sounds also a little "lo-fi" - intended? Did you record that amp from the picture?

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
@SbS : fuzz face? really? I have to admit I don´t hear it. However, sounds good; definitely like the interplay of the two guitars.

Yeah it is there, but very much hidden. I named the track little bit tongue in cheek. My amp is really clean (Orange Tremlord 30). So put a germanium Fuzz Face there, but volume rolled so much back that there was no actual distortion. This kit pedal actually has own volume pot (like guitar's), so I can leave it like that without touching guitar's volume control. Goal was to add just a little top end sparkle.

Then had Royal Blue OD too, but really really mild settings. Just to get pinch of drive when strumming louder, perhaps. Oh, and then tremolo just a notch. And naturally some reverb.

I'm still looking for right settings. Feels there's very little leeway between nothing at all and way too much 😄 Especially when recording.

Gonna listen takes today.

Last edited:

Len058

Tele-Meister
@Len058 : I am not sure, but your track sounds as if you used the minor scale mostly, which no one else did, I think. So it was a quite different vibe, and my ears had to get used to it. But then it really worked.
You're right, my bad. Minor is my default and I'm still trying to learn. I had the feeling I was struggling a bit to get the right notes. If I get to finish the Fernandes today, I'll give it another try. Thanks!

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Nice track indeed!

Nice dark base tone at the start, but then come brighter colors too, perhaps going from neck to bridge pickup? Pacing creates peaceful feeling, but still lot of licks to listen. It grows nicely being more intense towards the end.

Last edited:

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
@bullfrogblues : sweet sound, you also play it like a vocal line.
@fendrguitplayr : I don´t hear that you can´t play as usual. You played it slow, but that fits well to the bt, like Mark did. Expressive, with a beautiful clean sound.
@belleswell : I am not sure about your contribution. First thing is, I hear both guitars on the right side, maybe centred, but not clearly seperated. You dialed in beautiful sounds, and played great lines; but then are parts where one guitar sounds out of tune. As I know the quality of your tracks ans the precision you are capable of, I wonder if this was intentionally "lo-fi"?
@Mellencaster : sounds very old-fashioned with that very clean and a little thin sounding guitar.
@ASATKat : I dig your slow pace, very structured playing; sounds like composed, read music, and I mean this as a compliment.
@estreet : beautiful! Reminds me of instrumental guitar music on the radio when I was a little child (which is a long time ago). Love the volume sweels.
@bgmacaw : nice version, sounds also a little "lo-fi" - intended? Did you record that amp from the picture?
Thanks, no writing or arranging, no pre thought, I have to work to not sound like this. I think I'm a frustrated singer with the worst voice.

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks! It was either doing this or finishing the fret replacement of the Fernandes Strat. It was my brothers guitar but he trashed the frets with rusty strings. It has a cheap Chinese neck now but it's thin and flat. My parts-jazzmaster has a chunky flat radius Chinese neck, which I like better, so I'm curious about a vintage style 9,5 radius neck. I used to own a Japanese Fender but it got stolen about 30 years ago so I can't compare the feeling anymore. I really miss that guitar but hopefully the Fernandes (lawsuit era) will not disappoint in it's original glory.

You can use all your blues stuff, but use E minor scales. It's the 6th mode of G major, the Key this tune is in.

The reason the G minor blues pents does not work is because it has a Bb note. G major has a B note, the proper note. So Bb and B clash. The E minor has the B note making it a fine choice to solo with. Get a piece of straw to hold in your mouth.

The Bb vs B thing gets much deeper and is extremely important to understand to understand modern music, but this much info is a start.

My suggestion is record it again using the E minor pent/blues stuff. And like magic you will hear the "agreement" the B note has.

When I was 13 ('67) I had a friend that could shred and was popular in rock bands. One night we were at an acoustic jam party with grown ups, around a fire pit singing the American Songbook of folk songs with friends. My friend tried his rock licks and he sounded terrible, nothing worked, in fact he was hurting the jam because he didn't stop, he didn't know he was making a mistake, bad ears? The problem was he was using blues over a song that used G major.

My friend did not learn his lesson that night, but it set me on a journey to get the answer, and it was right there in front of me all the time. Some songs are bluesy and some songs use major scales. It's like it's a different emotional effect on the music. A different musical language all together. Major scale sounds sweet and pretty like a pretty Country song. Blues scales bring out deep felt heavy emotions like Stevie Ray Vaughan was brilliant at. Major scales make you feel happy because it's a beautiful sunny day. It's like there's two scales we use, two different styles of music. I think that's proof how some teachers teach music in schools the wrong way, maybe the worst way.

Last edited:

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Thanks Mel, great choice.

A little mix of I'd Rather Go Blind and Tennessee Whiskey with a bit of 70s-ish rock which is a great and new compliment to these classic changes.

I'd Rather Drink California Wine

Great vibe, laidback as heck, no ‘bottle shock’ here!

Len058

Tele-Meister
You can use all your blues stuff, but use E minor scales. It's the 6th mode of G major, the Key this tune is in.

The reason the G minor blues pents does not work is because it has a Bb note. G major has a B note, the proper note. So Bb and B clash. The E minor has the B note making it a fine choice to solo with. Get a piece of straw to hold in your mouth.

The Bb vs B thing gets much deeper and is extremely important to understand to understand modern music, but this much info is a start.

My suggestion is record it again using the E minor pent/blues stuff. And like magic you will hear the "agreement" the B note has.

Thanks for the theory lesson, I hope I'll remember the flat note thing. The first was C minor pentatonic, the second C major pentatonic. The same shape but one with the pinky at the root, other the index finger. I think in shapes an learn to find the right notes by trial and error. Can't get my brain to remember all the notes and theory around it.
pentatonic-minor-box-1.png

Your lesson made me realize the relative minor/major stuff is in this shape. This shape at the 5th fret is A minor and it's relative C major. Just pick the second note as root (I knew that but never saw the connection)
At the 5th it's A minor and C major.
The C major scale just has a few extra notes, one of those (F) overlaps with the minor pentatonic, two notes of the minor pentatonic are indeed flat (Bb,Eb) in relation to the major but one of those (Eb) is a blue note of the relative minor of C major, A minor. So that's giving version one the extra blue feeling. Kind of a very blue, blue note and yeah one eerie, wrong note.

So many words to say you got me a little bit further in the theory. Good job!