Backing Track Challenge - 337 Ballad

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
@Phrygian77 : I like the tone, kind of fat and overdriven, but still airy. Emotive playing.

Phrygian77 - I'm really digging that "on the edge tone" you've got going on this track. Tastefully expressing your phrasing dynamics . Sweet track!

@Phrygian77 : oh yes, I know these times when no guitar and no amp setting seems right. Well, you got over it and delivered a beautiful track with (to my ears) an latin rock vibe.

Thanks guys. My playing gets a little sloppy towards the end as I try to pick it up a bit and get out of my comfort zone.
On these backing tracks, I've been diming the amp (or nearly diming it) and controlling my overdrive level/tone with the guitar. This is completely contrary to what I do when I'm gigging, so it's a nice exercise.

I just happened to have this YGL-3 here that I've been working on, and it sounds fantastic into my reactive load. Even though that amp has pretty much exactly same topology as a Fender blackface, and the same number of gain stages, there are a few differences that give it more gain and make it more versatile. I was just really surprised how good it is, but I guess because it's normally a 100 watt amp (this one has two EL34s pulled), getting to hear that side of the amp is probably a rare occurrence.

Everyone here gets good tone, by the way, and through very different methods obviously.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
@udoering very tasteful playing and excellent tone. Love the double stop diatonic triads.
@alainvey the butter on top of the smooth ballad! I really like that gritty warm and jazzy tone.
@NWinther I like the outside the box approach. There are what sounds like some chromatic notes thrown into a few runs that are really nice, subtle and not overdone.
@Mellencaster tasty playing and sounds like a Strat! Position 2? Fits that midrange boosted tone well.
@SbS tone sounds good. I'm assuming that's a Tele type bridge with a neck humbucker on you're cleaner compressed tone. It sounds great!
@Len058 addition of the wah track is great. I feel like I'm cheating with a reactive load and IR. The biggest downside is the loss if interaction between the soundwaves and guitar. My woman and cats appreciate the quiet though ... for now. I don't have any monitors currently in my new music room, but I'd like to try that approach.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
@fendrguitplayr sounds like Tele bridge to me. I like the use of the wound strings. Seems like you were making a statement.
@bgmacaw really setting the mood with your slide playing and tone. Very nice.
@Mjark Tele sounds great. You've got an almost acoustic-like underlying quality in the attack.

Last edited:

udoering

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
@bullfrogblues : the modulated delay in combination with note choice lets me think of the psychedelic era. And, by the way, you used the bt of the last week; confused me a little.

@boop : you decided to play much faster as the rest of us. This gives the track an extra drive. I like how and when you use major scale notes, sounds organic.

@ASATKat : not bad, but I liked the first one better. Like the theme that comes up around 2:00.

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
@SbS tone sounds good. I'm assuming that's a Tele type bridge with a neck humbucker on you're cleaner compressed tone. It sounds great!
Thanks, yeah it's kinda Fusion/mess -model. First idea was Custom style, but didn't find suitable / reasonable priced body from Europe. Brexit was coming closerand and went with Thinline body which was available in UK.

New production Fender WRHB neck, Tele(ish) style HB bridge with Fralin P-92 in it. Played in middle position, fiddled with vol/tone pots some, then compressor and pinch of spring reverb from the amp.

Attachments

• PSX_20210217_212656.jpg
    PSX_20210217_212656.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 29

Len058

Tele-Meister
@Len058 addition of the wah track is great. I feel like I'm cheating with a reactive load and IR. The biggest downside is the loss if interaction between the soundwaves and guitar. My woman and cats appreciate the quiet though ... for now. I don't have any monitors currently in my new music room, but I'd like to try that approach.

Thanks! You aren't cheating, the wonderful playing proves that. I should tinker less and practice more but even then I won't reach your level of playing.
I do use a reactive attenuator to get the volume down to an acceptable level. I just like tinkering with gear, but have no problem with plugging my guitar directly in the interface and use a modeler. Your setup sounds great.

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
@boop : Smooth and subtle tone. Agree with Udoering, you've got certain pace creating own atmosphere there, almost like Spanish guitar runs.
@ASATKat : Mellow tone, I don't know how those licks are called in English, but like gypsy music at times.
@bullfrogblues : Great and mostly clean, almost Stratty tone, nice melodies serving the song well.

Mellencaster

Poster Extraordinaire
boop - I agree with op your fast playing and changing from minor to major gives its own vibe with a Latin feel.l quite enjoyed it.
ASATKat - Some sweet lines and chordal sections were quite nice.
bullfrogblues- Son of a gun...I have to admit, I didn't notice it was the wrong track either. Well, versed and the style you play in is inspiring.