Backing Track Challenge - 337 Ballad

Mikejazz

Tele-Meister
Oh, I´m the first? Well, then. A very predictable track, if you know my stuff. There is a discussion on another subforum if one could / should record a guitar track with the amp´s reverb. That gave me the idea to use the (nice) spring reverb of the Express for the main guitar track; sounded good so far. But then I realised that I could not compress the guitar track, because the comp would bring up the reverb trails. So, I will go back to my usual procedure and add reverb in the DAW after recording dry.

Great melodic sense and relaxed feel. Got some good emotions coming from there.

Mikejazz

Tele-Meister
Thanks Mellencaster.

Today I tried to concentrate on tone and micing the amp. And especially like.. not going overboard. Still feels difficult, depending on device I'm listening. Hope it sounds ok with your gear & stuff.

On the right side (the cleaner guitar) is my Thinliner Partscaster and on the left side my trusty old (2001) Squier..er (modded, so ex-Standard) Fat Telecaster, with some grit (Wampler Belle). Both in middle position. So stuff & things are mostly from pedals (grit, little delay, compressor too) or amp (reverb), and then just EQ:ing and limiting (and cutting some worst parts and adjusting some levels and stuff) in the DAaaaw.

So much to learn, thank you all.

Like the addition of a 2nd guitar, they intersect nicely

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
@telekaster1999 : Baritone sound drops nicely between bass and brighter guitar tones there.
@Mikejazz : Nice overdriven tone with clean part still present. Nice runs and skillful playing.
@Phrygian77 : I like the tone, kind of fat and overdriven, but still airy. Emotive playing.
@ASATKat : Clean and reverby tone, melancholic melodies.
@guitarsophist : Nice clean, smooth but articulate tone, tasteful phrasing, that Tele sounds good in your hands.
@belleswell : Warm guitar with smooth overdrive, it's kind of singing, enjoyable take, grows towards the end.

Mellencaster

Poster Extraordinaire
Len058 - Very good tone and the wah quacks work for me . Nice overall version!
telekaster1999 - Sonically the baritone fits quite well in the mix and the melodic and telling lines are a sweet treat to listen to.
Mikejazz - That's a fine fat tone out your of strat. Emotive and skillful playing!
Phrygian77 - I'm really digging that "on the edge tone" you've got going on this track. Tastefully expressing your phrasing dynamics . Sweet track!
ASATKat - Nice jazz elements in your phrasing and tone. Quite like the pre intro start and how your version gives a feeling of melancholy.
guitarsophist - An enjoyable version. I would say your clean tone and the meaningful lines are a match that is made for each other.
belleswell - I am having difficulties saying what genre specifically your track falls into but it is pretty and well played. The interplay between the guitars and the tones sounds very good to me.

Alan L Cole

Friend of Leo's
Oh, I´m the first? Well, then. A very predictable track, if you know my stuff. There is a discussion on another subforum if one could / should record a guitar track with the amp´s reverb. That gave me the idea to use the (nice) spring reverb of the Express for the main guitar track; sounded good so far. But then I realised that I could not compress the guitar track, because the comp would bring up the reverb trails. So, I will go back to my usual procedure and add reverb in the DAW after recording dry.

The production and reverb sound great Ullrich. The duel tracks compliment each other nicely and you've got some nice phrasing and melodic elements IMO. Very cool!

udoering

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
@alainvey : I am really happy you are back, hope you had a good time during your absence. Your track surprised me; remembering your contributions you were a man of fast jazzy runs. Some of them can be found here too, but they are the icing on a mostly relaxed bluesy playing. Dig it! And, lovely sound also.

@NWinther : one can hear from the very first notes who´s playing this, soundwise as well as playing style. You made the track your own once again.

@Mellencaster : I agree, you dialed in a sweet sound! Love your playing here, emotive, the thrown in double stops. Very expressive.

@bigbreak : a quite creative transformation of the bt! Sometimes I hear irish folk licks in the synth, which would go well together with your picture of the sea (-gulls).

@SbS : the two guitars go well together, you gave them both the space they need. Sounds like two players who know each other well play together. Nice mood, a little melancholic.

@fendrguitplayr : like Niels, you have your style regarding sound as well as playing, and I appreciate that. Like your down to earth style, every note says something.

@bgmacaw : glad you came out well and there are no long time residuals! Lovely bottle neck playing, enhancing the melancolic mood.

@Mjark : quite a different approach! Not so much regarding your playing which I find very expressive, but from the sound. Anyhow, the result is very pleasing!

@Alan L Cole : you start that thing quite reserved, then you go more speed, but always having the theme from the opening in mind and playing. Very very nice!

@ASATKat : you dialed in a very nice clean sound with not too much reverb. Your playing is much more down to earth than usual, it serves the song. A very nice outcome!

@Raimonds : noisy indeed, but that doesn´t really matter. Really like your playing here, very emotive; you "tell a story".

@Len058 : the pairing of the two guitar sounds and functions works great together. The lead guitar sounds really great, the wah rythm guitar is wel embedded when listening through the monitors.

@telekaster1999 : you are right, the baritone is a good choice! The bt has not much going on in the deeper registers, you have got enough space there and you used it.

@Mikejazz : sweet yet powerful strat sound, beautiful reverb! Very good playing throughout, expressive.

@Phrygian77 : oh yes, I know these times when no guitar and no amp setting seems right. Well, you got over it and delivered a beautiful track with (to my ears) an latin rock vibe.

@guitarsophist : I dig your careful, sometimes tentative playing. Telly sounds good, she might be glad to be back :) .

@belleswell : beautiful lines they are, quite inventive, and a special horn-like tone. Great stuff!