Mellencaster

Poster Extraordinaire
here's this week's track Enjoy!

800px-Maria_Wiik_-_Ballad.jpg

Track Download 2:46

udoering

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Oh, I´m the first? Well, then. A very predictable track, if you know my stuff. There is a discussion on another subforum if one could / should record a guitar track with the amp´s reverb. That gave me the idea to use the (nice) spring reverb of the Express for the main guitar track; sounded good so far. But then I realised that I could not compress the guitar track, because the comp would bring up the reverb trails. So, I will go back to my usual procedure and add reverb in the DAW after recording dry.

Mellencaster

Poster Extraordinaire
udoering- I said it before but your recording mixing is spot on.Dynamic phrasing and tone, the supporting guitar sound very good together .Lovely version Ullrich.
alainvey- The most I've heard you played this chilled, and I do mean that in a very good way and a quite enjoyable version some similarities to a Supertramp song.
NWinther- The modulated effect and smooth saturated tone sound sweet. Melodic and tastfully played.
bigbreak- The sounds of the synth, do give me that mid to late 70s vibe .Lovely version Russ.

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Thanks Mellencaster.

Today I tried to concentrate on tone and micing the amp. And especially like.. not going overboard. Still feels difficult, depending on device I'm listening. Hope it sounds ok with your gear & stuff.

On the right side (the cleaner guitar) is my Thinliner Partscaster and on the left side my trusty old (2001) Squier..er (modded, so ex-Standard) Fat Telecaster, with some grit (Wampler Belle). Both in middle position. So stuff & things are mostly from pedals (grit, little delay, compressor too) or amp (reverb), and then just EQ:ing and limiting (and cutting some worst parts and adjusting some levels and stuff) in the DAaaaw.

So much to learn, thank you all.

Last edited:

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
@udoering : Sounds absolutely beautiful, taste and skill. To be honest, I try to listen and learn from your tracks most of the time.
@alainvey : Sounds so smooth, what a gentle bluesy touch, I really like your vibe and those nuances.
@NWinther : Also tonally smooth, but still recognizable NWinther track, nice!
@Mellencaster : Sounds good, kind of smooth too, but then there's some grit and spring in your tone. Like a feel of danger. I think it's called Rock.
@bigbreak : Seagulls, sea! I don't know what all those other elements are. But your took it and went with it. That's the right way to go overboard! Oh my, in the end I had some Hendrix 1983 vibes.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Thanks Mellencaster.

Today I tried to concentrate on tone and micing the amp. And especially like.. not going overboard. Still feels difficult, depending on device I'm listening. Hope it sounds ok with your gear & stuff.

On the right side (the cleaner guitar) is my Thinliner Partscaster and on the left side my trusty old (2001) Squier..er (modded, so ex-Standard) Fat Telecaster, with some grit (Wampler Belle). Both in middle position. So stuff & things are mostly from pedals (grit, little delay, compressor too) or amp (reverb), and then just EQ:ing and limiting (and cutting some worst parts and adjusting some levels and stuff) in the DAaaaw.

So much to learn, thank you all.

The panning and laid back interplay between the guitars is very nice. Tones are complimentary as well. Nice one.

Mellencaster

Poster Extraordinaire
SbS - Guitar mix sounds quite well and the chill interplay between both guitars sounds good. Very enjoyable.
fendrguitplayr - Lovely tone, Mike. You've played a solid version.
bgmacaw- Glad to have you back. The slide fits with a sweet tone. I'm feeling a melancholy vibe with a tale to be told. Nice one!
Mjark - Loved the airy sound, it fits well with the bt. Smooth emotive phrasing with it never feels repetitive.
Alan L Cole - A sweet track with a lovely tone. The highlight of your version for me is after the 45 second mark you played with a little more passion and it stood out.
Raimonds - A solid track ,Raimonds.Sweet dynamic playing, the background noise was audible but nothing impairing to your track.

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
@fendrguitplayr : Nice clean tone and groovy playing.
@bgmacaw : Great to hear you're ok. Subtle and organic tone, sounds good. Agree with Mellencaster.
@Mjark : Nice 'spongy & springy' tone, I like the flow and nuances, beautiful runs.
@Alan L Cole : Alan L Cole meets ballad, really nice throaty tone and touch with details.
@Raimonds : Yup, there's some noise, but not overly bad. In my opinion it just adds some edge and live like feel to your licks and emotive phrasing.
@Len058 : I'm now listening with headphones (it's late), overall playing and themes sound real good. Some of those wah quaks feel little sharp, maybe more separation and then taming them a bit? Might be my headphones too, though. Edit: No, now I actually feel it's alright when listening 2nd time..

Last edited:

Len058

Tele-Meister
Thanks I had fun!
Speaking of reverb. I was struggling to get the right tone. After switching guitar and amp channel, I gave up. I added some reverb to the track and it was almost right 💡.
I realized I stood during recording, so I heard the reflections of the room. During playback I sit in the "listening chair" and then acoustic panels take care of unwanted reverb.
I recorded without headphones so I got the excitement of the amp sound in the room. The freedom and amp thing worked.