Backing Track Challenge - 336 Vamp

Len058

Tele-Meister
A bit late to the party, but glad I found the time. I've built a reactive attenuator so I recorded a hot amp in the living room, peaked at 80db on my phone db app. I'm very happy about how it sounds in the room. I have to work on mic positioning and stuff. It's recorded with a close- and a room-mic.

Thanks for the track!

Mikejazz

Tele-Meister
@Raimonds : lovely tone on the edge of breakup; I believe I can hear the tension in your playing that one has when jamming with a band (tension => energy). Good reaction to the dynamics of the bt.
@NWinther : you also sound as if you recorded a jam with your band, groping your way through it.
@Mjark : careful, delicate playing; very nice dynamics and note choice.
@fendrguitplayr : your guitar sounds great here; verry nice playing, too. To my taste, I woulnd´t have needed the synths, they often distract me from your playing, though there are passages of strong interplay between left synth ad guitar.
@SbS : beautiful bluesy version; the two guitars go very well together. Sounds like different people jamming together. Very nice. Thank you very much for your feedback, it means something to me. Yes, good monitors are a rewarding investion!
@ASATKat : your theme sounds familiar; love how you mix it with chordal stuff in the beginning. Nice variations then. You can´t help from playing jazzy, can´t you (no critique!)? Second take: it´s got something exotic / oriental, nice!
@belleswell : a quite different approach! Your track sounds very intense, the guitars mix into a enormous soundscape. I was astonished how good major scales work.
@guitarsophist : your track proves that fast playing is absolutely not necessary to create an interesting track. Very intense interplay between. Hope your hands get well soon.
@Alan L Cole : total surprise!! The way you adopted the named track to this vamp is so creative and psychedelic. Was it your voice? Great track.
@SRHmusic : started like a boogie, developed then into a powerful psychedelic rock thing. You adhered closely to the title you choose.
@Mikejazz : yes of course, the wah pedal had been missing as yet! Good thing you brought it in. Very good playing and very good use of the pedal.
@Phrygian77 : hand already clamping up? How do you play then when your hand is ok? Lovely bluesrock track, powerful playing.
@telekaster1999 : you don´t have to play "cosmic", whatever that means. This bt allows everything. I like the first section with the clean guitar, I also like when you play distorted.
Thank you Ullrich. Despite using some wah pedal here and there, this one used a autowah effect, so i don't have much control over it. In the end it turned out funny, like a quacky duck :)

Mikejazz

Tele-Meister
Here's a jazzy take with no theme, just mindless meanderings, Trying to be just an observer while playing. It's that flowery flowing like a river stuff. Some weak stuff, some good. School.

Improv over Gm7

Dig the "Zappian" approach with some free jazz and flamenco flavours. Nice gritty tone. Good job.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
@Phrygian77 - Lovely country tone and version. That's truly what I think a tele should sound like, in my mind.

Thanks, man! I've been questioning my guitars and pickups a good bit lately, especially wanting to try some different pickups. I tend to favor pickups that are a little warmer with more midrange. That Tele has a Duncan La Brea bridge which I thought would be a little twangier than the Duncan Donahue bridges that I have in a couple of my other guitars, but it's not really. In fact, I recently tried recording clips of three different guitars, the one with the La Brea, another alder Tele with the Donahue, and a swamp ash Thinline also with the Donahue. There honestly wasn't enough difference to tell them apart. I've already been through a lot of pickups, but I keep thinking that I want to try the Suhr Classic T, or the Lollar Special T. In reality, I should just stop obsessing, be content, and work on my playing. ;)

A bit late to the party, but glad I found the time. I've built a reactive attenuator so I recorded a hot amp in the living room, peaked at 80db on my phone db app. I'm very happy about how it sounds in the room. I have to work on mic positioning and stuff. It's recorded with a close- and a room-mic.

Thanks for the track!

What did you build? I built a reactive load a little over a year ago, and it works great. I used it on the tracks I posted here. I've been wanting to build one of the @johnDH style attenuators.

Len058

Tele-Meister
What did you build? I built a reactive load a little over a year ago, and it works great. I used it on the tracks I posted here. I've been wanting to build one of the @johnDH style attenuators.

Yup, the John Hewitt design. The one with 2 coils. I've posted my build in that topic.
I made the 8 and the 16 ohm version. I have to check if an 8 ohm speaker into the 16 ohm version sounds better or worse than into the 8 ohm version.

Which reactive loadbox did you build? I'm curious how it sounds without the fuzz. I almost used a fuzz face on this track but decided it should be all amp. Nice track by the way, it sounds good!

And thanks @Mellencaster and @udoering for the nice comments!

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
@Len058 my other track here was recorded with it. Also, a recent mid week backing track.

Here's my reactive load thread.

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the track!

That's a massive tone. Real cool use of effects! The twisted essence comes right through.

Now, on a serious note, what's up with this always "a bit late to the party"? lol

Last edited: